Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Clutch questions & woes

798 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Parkinen 
#1 ·
Hello everyone- I'm new here. I have been in the throes of a clutch headache with my 07 Forester and need some advice.

We had the clutch replaced due to a bad throw out bearing. I'm pretty sure a napa clutch kit was used. I'm assuming this included a clutch disc, pressure plate and the t/o bearing. Not sure about the pilot bearing.

First off it is chattering so bad it's shaking the car. One technician told me this is likely due to not resurfacing or replacing the flywheel. Thoughts?

Secondly, it smells like crazy especially when using reverse. Is this normal?

Third there is now a new noise that varies with temperature like the throw out bearing did only this happens when the clutch is engaged (pedal out) either in gear out out of gear. It seems to intensify under heavy load from the engine while in gear. My hunch is the pilot but I have no way to be sure.

The guy forgot to grease the fork so we had that done elsewhere and the pedal is now very smooth.

I need tips on what this new noise might be and if the clutch is ever going to smooth out. The driveline seems to be taking some extra abuse now and I'm not sure if this means the clutch will wear prematurely.

Thanks y'all.

This little banana is crazy! :Banane14:

See less See more
#2 ·
So I was looking around the engine bay today and although the noise seems to be coming from right in front of the driver side firewall, I did notice a noisey belt pulley.

Would this belt pulley noise go in and out with the clutch being engaged or disengaged?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.