Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Clutch for Off-Road

('03-'05) 
5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Woody '04 
#1 ·
So, I need a new clutch. I have managed to destroy my current clutch down to the rivets, and it was brand new in April. (Yes, 8 months and I destroyed a new clutch) :biggrin:

This is partly due to off-roading at high alititude and steep hills (a lot of clutch slipping nessesary), as well as I smoked it pretty good when I was pulling a heavy 100ft tree through the forest uphill so we could cut it up for firewood.

Needless to say, I think an uprated clutch would be good for the abuse I put it through, but I also would like something that still behaves like a stock clutch as this is still my daily driver, but just want something a little more robust.

Any recommendations?

#2 ·
Burning Up the Clutch

I've had my 2010 M/T forester for about a month and I found out quick that it is easy to burn it up while off-roading. I drove a 5 speed manual jetta for the past 6 years and well, she never saw much of off-roading. So this smoking really freaked me out! I'll be staying out of the deep sand for now!

#5 ·
You dont really have a lot of options for being able to "slip" the clutch.. anything built for a subie is going to be designed not too..(obvious)

This is one of the few times id recomend an autotragic... You might be able to get one of the 5ATs on the car with a decent enough low range, then run a fanned cooler and good fluid...

Sent from the other side using mind bullets...(YapaTalk)

#7 ·
did you get a quote from the ultimate warrior gearbox dudes?

i got one, with shipping to austria, quite expansive though...

i´m gonna try and ask them just for the inside parts since there are planty of used dual range trannys over here in austria since all NA foresters and even imprezas had them here :) i was thinking of getting one of those and swap in the australian parts!

clutchwise i don´t thing the others will last longer, they are just designed to hold more power i guess

#9 ·
Yeah, I have a company that is going to be slowly transforming my car for me. They are working on sourcing a way of getting dual-ranges into the States here, and allowing them for power. This is the main reason why I'm not rebuilding my transmission yet (though, the engine is currently under the knife again).

#10 ·
i thought about all that before i replaced my last 2000 with this 2004 5 spd. i just like driving the 5 spd more than an AT. If the AT would have been 5 spd I would have seriously considered it to get off road a little farther.

since i don't actually live in the mtns anymore i decided if i wanted to go offroad with a manual i would get a 4-runner or something with a low-range and better, tougher tire choices less likely to get a root or rock through the sidewall.

i have gotten a little smell a time or 2 towing and off-pavement but don't do enough to worry about it.

your car looks great! I hope you find what you are looking for with it to improve off-road capacity.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.