Center Bearing replacement - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Transmission and Driveline
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 02:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Default Center Bearing replacement

I had a noise under load on my 04 XT mt. It was a whirring sound.
Anywho, my mechanic friend and I put it up on the lift and he said it was the center bearing. Should have taken a picture, but its a big rubber bushing with a bearing inside it that the rear drive shaft passes through. Its attached to the body by two bolts. I tried searching the forums and the net, but it seems this piece is only sold with the driveshaft maybe?

Trying to find a solution, any help is appreciated

Thanks
shourican is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2010, 05:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester X Premium
Transmission: 5MT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Only available from Subaru with the driveshaft.

Should be able to find a used one or if one can remove the bearing from the rubber damper, at that point a bearing is a bearing and you only need to match the bearing numbers and press it back into the dampener.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: 2.5 XT
Transmission: 4eat
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

lol I have the same problem (along with eventually needing anew drive shaft). Everyone says to get an impreza DS but reuse the stock center bearing, but you can't get a forester center bearing by itself.

I'm getting tempted to just throw a 1 piece driveshaft on that has NO center bearing.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 04
Car Model: Forester X, MT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey1002 View Post
lol I have the same problem (along with eventually needing anew drive shaft). Everyone says to get an impreza DS but reuse the stock center bearing, but you can't get a forester center bearing by itself.

I'm getting tempted to just throw a 1 piece driveshaft on that has NO center bearing.
I did just that on a toyota corona wagon that was a little longer than the forester. it worked just fine, however it didn't have the exhaust run under the driveshaft so you may want to look closely at the clearances and keep in mind suspension travel. i was thinking about this myself. in a larger city there should be a shop that specialized in driveshaft repair that can do the welding and balancing.

anyone else go 1-piece driveshaft already?
Old 03-20-2010, 04:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: 2.5 XT
Transmission: 4eat
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody '04 View Post
I did just that on a toyota corona wagon that was a little longer than the forester. it worked just fine, however it didn't have the exhaust run under the driveshaft so you may want to look closely at the clearances and keep in mind suspension travel. i was thinking about this myself. in a larger city there should be a shop that specialized in driveshaft repair that can do the welding and balancing.

anyone else go 1-piece driveshaft already?
Well thats actually my issue now. I replaced my catback with a newer one that has a slightly larger resonator. Theres enough play in the rubber damper in the center bearing that the DS sometimes rubs against the exhaust as it is, there are a couple rusty lines around the DS. I figure there will be less movement in a 1 piece driveshaft, and I'd probably get the resonator replaced with a straight pipe.

I can't find any bolton 1 piece driveshafts that definitely fit the forester however. I have a FXT 4eat, and I figure a 4eat WRX 1 piece driveshaft -should- work, but a bunch say that even on the impreza "modifications are necessary".

Also oddly enough a high end 1 piece aluminum driveshaft is -cheaper- than a replacement stock DS from a dealer (i guess they are simpler though).
Old 03-20-2010, 06:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester X Premium
Transmission: 5MT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Suspension travel is not an issue with the driveshaft as the rear diff is fixed and does not move with the suspension like a solid rear axle in a truck....

There are shops out there that offer one piece driveshafts(for the Imprezza), but for the price I would look into having my own made locally.

THE DRIVESHAFT SHOP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Transmission and Driveline