AWD fr/r bias auto vs. manual - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Transmission and Driveline
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2010, 07:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
mx_599

Gallery:
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Default AWD fr/r bias auto vs. manual

If I am understanding prior inquiry explanations and research on this forum, the Auto is around 80-90/20-10 percent fr/r until there are traction sensory input to change and the Manual is 50/50 AWD

is this correct?

are there modifications that can be made to the Auto for a 50/50 distribution? mods to the computer system or something?

thanks again!

Last edited by mx_599; 09-18-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2010, 07:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
mx_599

Gallery:

I am going to respond to my own thread to get the ball rolling.

OT: I am now leaning towards a bare minimum 2011 2.5X manual transmission.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Impreza RS Wagon
Transmission: Auto
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

On pre -09's Auto is 90-10 until slip or downshifting the lever to 2nd in which it becomes 50-50.

09-present is 60/40 normal to 50/50 on slip.

All manuals are 50/50 100% of the time.
Real Lyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
mx_599

Gallery:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Lyte View Post
On pre -09's Auto is 90-10 until slip or downshifting the lever to 2nd in which it becomes 50-50.

09-present is 60/40 normal to 50/50 on slip.

All manuals are 50/50 100% of the time.
this sucks! thanks for the info. i am having a tough time deciding on auto or manual.

is there a way to trick the Auto into 50/50 all the time? is that what one of those Sticky Threads was talking about in this forum?
Old 09-19-2010, 08:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: EJ25 2.5X
Transmission: Manual
Gallery: 32
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I would look more to driving environment for your decision making process than to torque split. That is, what will be your uses of the car? If you expect to do a lot of off-roading or soft-roading that involves slow off-idle rolling or crawling, the automatic is the choice. In city traffic lot of stop and go, the automatic is probably the choice.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
mx_599

Gallery:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
I would look more to driving environment for your decision making process than to torque split. That is, what will be your uses of the car? If you expect to do a lot of off-roading or soft-roading that involves slow off-idle rolling or crawling, the automatic is the choice. In city traffic lot of stop and go, the automatic is probably the choice.
nahhh, soft roading at most. I do want more of an off-road vibe. just doubt i'll have many chances to truly off-road. thinking about the 1-2" lift kit and an off-road tire on a simple 16" rim.

i do not live in big city so traffic not too much a concern. mostly a daily driver. i have always had auto's (short time with manual), but i am thinking i want to be more engaged with driving and have more fun as others allude to with a manual.

the manual seems more simplistic to me and for some reason i like the idea of symmetry and 50/50 split even though i am sure it does not make much difference
Old 09-19-2010, 09:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: 2.5 XT
Transmission: 4eat
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

If you put the auto into 1st it locks up the MPT. However with a 50/50 split with the MPT system its like a truck in parttime 4, so it will have difficulty turning.

Theres a mod you can do to lock up the mpt with a switch, but not for on road use.

Personally I'd go for a model with VTD, which has a ~45/55 split and is a "real" planetary diff, rather than the clutch pack on MPT based models.

All foresters are MPT except for 07/08 sport models with the vtd. Some 06+ models got VDC as well, which on MPT systems means it only goes from 60/40 to 50/50 (all 09+ foresters are MPT iirc)
Old 09-19-2010, 09:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Just had our new 2010 on the beach down in the Outer Banks. We had absolutely no problems even in the soft stuff I had trouble walking in. I did keep it selected in 1st when in real soft stuff.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
mx_599

Gallery:

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey1002 View Post
If you put the auto into 1st it locks up the MPT. However with a 50/50 split with the MPT system its like a truck in parttime 4, so it will have difficulty turning.

Theres a mod you can do to lock up the mpt with a switch, but not for on road use.

Personally I'd go for a model with VTD, which has a ~45/55 split and is a "real" planetary diff, rather than the clutch pack on MPT based models.

All foresters are MPT except for 07/08 sport models with the vtd. Some 06+ models got VDC as well, which on MPT systems means it only goes from 60/40 to 50/50 (all 09+ foresters are MPT iirc)
okay, makes sense. thanks for that delineation.

well, i was planning on getting a new one so i guess VTD not possible. i am leaning towards the MT NA model.

others are saying I should get the XT due to my power questions I keep asking about...but then there goes the MT idea.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx_599 View Post
okay, makes sense. thanks for that delineation.

well, i was planning on getting a new one so i guess VTD not possible. i am leaning towards the MT NA model.

others are saying I should get the XT due to my power questions I keep asking about...but then there goes the MT idea.
I'd personally go with the XT. The MT has a 50/50 initial split, but just a weak vlsd to keep f/r wheel speed the same. The AT when locked up acts basically like a diff locker. The AT locks up more under higher throttle input as well. Also the 09+ all have vdc so its 60/40 split up to 50/50 when fully "locked" in the AT, and the vdc helps prevent wheel spin at all 4 corners. Also the torque convert helps crawl offroad as there is no low range offered in any usdm model.

If you don't want the XT, don't test drive it, the turbo is addictive!
Old 09-19-2010, 10:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
mx_599

Gallery:

Quote:
I'd personally go with the XT. The MT has a 50/50 initial split, but just a weak vlsd to keep f/r wheel speed the same. The AT when locked up acts basically like a diff locker. The AT locks up more under higher throttle input as well. Also the 09+ all have vdc so its 60/40 split up to 50/50 when fully "locked" in the AT, and the vdc helps prevent wheel spin at all 4 corners. Also the torque convert helps crawl offroad as there is no low range offered in any usdm model.

If you don't want the XT, don't test drive it, the turbo is addictive!
vlsd?

vdc?
Old 09-19-2010, 11:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member

VDC = vehicle dynamic control or stability control. Uses the ABS module to brake for individual wheels to keep you going straight, and to reduce wheel spin in poor conditions (the subaru system works very well, without it feeling like its getting in your way, while still keeping the car under control)

VLSD is a viscous limited slip differential. Basically if the front or rear axles are moving at different speeds, the fluid in it heats up and "thickens" to lock them together.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
mx_599

Gallery:

Quote:
VDC = vehicle dynamic control or stability control. Uses the ABS module to brake for individual wheels to keep you going straight, and to reduce wheel spin in poor conditions (the subaru system works very well, without it feeling like its getting in your way, while still keeping the car under control)

VLSD is a viscous limited slip differential. Basically if the front or rear axles are moving at different speeds, the fluid in it heats up and "thickens" to lock them together.
man, i am not sure i like all those bells and whistles even if they do work well. what if you just want your own input even if it is not as good as what the computer can do...is MT the way to go? or does the MT still have all those ABS wheel control inputs as well?
Old 09-19-2010, 01:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester

You can turn it off on the manual. That said, I just keep it on.

I got a 2010 2.5X. I didn't even sit on an XT precisely because it didn't come in a manual.

Just get the 5-speed and join the "Save the manuals campaign".

Car and Driver's "Save the Manuals!" Campaign

manuelisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: EJ25 2.5X
Transmission: Manual
Gallery: 32
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Yes the manual trans model has a button on the lower left of the dash that you can press to disable the VCD, however ABS stays active regardless. When I was off roading at Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Michigan this summer (3000 acres of dunes) I had to disable VCD because it screwed up how the car responded in the soft sand. I'm sure an automatic would have done well, too, but my manual trans '09 did great on the dunes with VCD off (and tires deflated to just below 15psi).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Transmission and Driveline