Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Auto Trans Flush or Drain/Fill?

('98-'00) 
10K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  adc 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!

This is my first post as I just joined the forum. I've been a creeper for sometime and have greatly appreciated the expert knowledge! Thanks!

Anyways, I have a '99 Forester S Limited with an issue. It has about 206,000Km. When the vehicle is cold, the transmission has some trouble changing gears when accelerating. Sometimes, there is a bit of a jolt when it's changing gears.

I'm thinking that a flush or drain/fill is in order. I've contacted 2 Subaru dealers in the area (southern Ontario): one will flush for $199; and the other will drain and fill for $78. If I go with the drain/fill, I'll need to do it at least 3 times, right?

Let me know what you think...which is better?

#3 · (Edited)
Transmission fluid change

Our 99 Forester had transmission shifting/delay issues when we first purchased it. I drained the fluid and changed both filters (internal and external) and have not had another transmission issue!

A fluid and filter change is an inexpensive place to start that is often successful!

Good luck!

This a great forum, glad you joined!

#4 ·
Three times?

I'm not sure about the need to do a change three times. Doesn't make sense to me.

I've only done the drain and fill myself, but some do say the flush is good. It'll be interesting to hear what opinions might surface regarding the two methods.

#6 ·
I'm not sure about the need to do a change three times. Doesn't make sense to me.

I've only done the drain and fill myself, but some do say the flush is good. It'll be interesting to hear what opinions might surface regarding the two methods.
I read online that one drain/fill will not completely remove all of the old fluid and that it usually takes 3 drain/fills for 100% removal. I could be misinformed.

#11 ·
I called up a few places about a transmission flush on my Forester just after I purchased it at 204,000. They gave the same advice - if it hadn't been flushed regularly, don't start now because you'll push the rubbish into different places, and possibly ruin the transmission.

I ended up doing it manually instead, and had good results.

#13 ·
Thanks for the replies.

So I went to a Subaru dealer near me to get a drain/fill done, however things didn't go as expected. After I told the service manager the mileage on my vehicle, he asked if I had any record of a drain/fill being completed in the past. I replied, 'No. I don't think so.' He then said that he wouldn't perform the service since there is a chance that it could make things much worse. It could loosen stuff and cause the transmission to fail.

Do this make sense? Am I just going to have to live with the current issue with the transmission?

p.s. I purchased the car back in May, and it didn't have any service records, which I asked for. I do have a warranty on the vehicle, and the transmission is covered up to $1500. Though I'd rather not wait for the transmission to fail since it could happen out of warranty.

#14 ·
It's a double edge sword.

IMHO the reason many transmissions fail soon after being serviced(flush, drain and fill....) is that they are in bad shape to begin with. Generally people getting a transmission service are doing so because the transmission fluid is dark, burnt, or has debris in the fluid or they are trying to solve a physical symptom of a transmission problem VS keeping up on regular maintenance through out its life that may have prevented it. Much of that contamination is likely worn detached friction material now suspended in the fluid. In severe cases you do the service, remove 85-95% of this suspended debris that was acting as a medium for power transfer between clutches. When the transmission fails completely within a short time it is perceived that the flush or service was the cause and the owner now gives the shop a bad name when they start saying _____ ruined my transmission. When in reality it is the act of having cleaner fluid. Kind of a double edge sword, it is the contaminated fluid causing further damage, but it is also what is keeping it going in many cases.

If it were mine, I would do the multiple drain and fills and see if the problem improves or get worse. If it gets worse you have confirmed there is a mechanical problem that will likely only get worse.

#16 ·
I am glad I came across this thread! I was told at last oil change I needed a total flush of my tranny. The price estimate was $250-300 ouch! My car is 09 with 66k. I'm an older lady, but don't try and rob me. Why can't they just drain and change the filter? No problems with tranny and color they said was just a little dirty.

#17 ·
Just did my Drain/Fill today and it wasn't red fluid that was coming out. Dark, very dark fluid. Topped it off with fresh Subaru HP ATF and drive it about 50 trouble free miles. I'm thinking of doing it again next weekend and then the next. I purchased my XT a year ago this weekend with 127k miles and just turned over 150k miles this week. So I figured its time to do a tranny service. Everything is working great just like before. I'm just a little concerned with the burnt fluid that came out. I'll keep you posted.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.