Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Auto tranny swap (new parts and questions)

('98-'00) 
771 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Pierce 
#1 ·
Hello. I have a 98 Forester L with almost 270,000 miles. Car has been well taken care of with all maintenance done on intervals by myself. My auto tranny has been going for a while so I purchased a used 60,000 mile new tranny. Bonus, it came with a starter which I am on my original one still. I plan to install this tranny soon and had some questions.

Any parts that are suggested to replace while I've got these parts out I'll do. I'm having a hard time finding the correct parts. Looking for all mounts and possibly u-joints (if any on this car). Replacing all the fluids. How much should I have on hand? What grade or brands of diff oil is recommended and how much do I need?

Also, I got a new filter and it is a standard style but I was under the impression that this tranny had a filter that looked like an oil filter.

Anything I need to know before doing this swap? My friend and I have both worked on many cars, torn down engines etc. Just not familiar with the particulars of this suby tranny. I have already replaced both axles and all the suspension parts that will be disconnected.

Thanks for any help. Please avoid razzing me for asking newbie questions, it's not necessary. I have searched for an hour and haven't found my answers and not the best at searching. It would probably take you the same amount of time to razz me as to just answer my questions. Thank you. I have a teenage son so I know about razzing, but it's not the same online.

See less See more
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.