('06-'08) auto stuck in park - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Transmission and Driveline
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 4/07
Car Model: wrx wagon/fozzy xt
Transmission: manual/auto
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Default auto stuck in park

2007 auto xt 66k miles, not the wrx but the forester

it just started recently, but many times throught out the day, when starting the car i can't seem to get from park to drive or reverse.

foot on the brake, parking brake down, and stuck in park. usually after a few gentle tries it'll release into reverse or drive but its becoming annoying.

thoughts? advice?
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2011, 02:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: XS
Transmission: 4EAT
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Have you had the console trim off recently around the shifter to clean? That's a common issue that the trim is not fully into place causing the shifter to hang up. There is also a brake switch that is part of the shifter interlock that could need adjustment. I'll see what I can find with a search.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

automatic transmission shifter issues posts 4-7
Old 07-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car Model: Forester X Premium
Transmission: 5MT

^^ Good Dog has got you pointed in the right direction or at least one of a few.

Other possible options:
Brake switch(brake lights work?)
Shifter mechanism/linkages
wiring fault
Old 07-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

You've got two options but since you have now indicated the brake lights are intermitent the second will likely be the solution.

1) With the shifter console trim off, clean the shifter lock solenoid, #18 the button may be sticking
http://opposedforces.com/parts/fores...llustration_4/

2) Replace #9 part #83370AA001 MSRP $40 should be able to get it for about $30 online, should be stocked at most dealerships, I'd hope. I guess you could also see if you can lubricate the switch button with some dielectric grease/lubricant.
http://opposedforces.com/parts/fores...llustration_2/
Old 07-20-2011, 08:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: XS Premium
Transmission: MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by good dog View Post
I guess you could also see if you can lubricate the switch button with some dielectric grease/lubricant.
Or a squirt of WD40 or PB Blaster, using the red tube for careful aim and trying to get it into the space between the button and the body of the switch, and then manipulating the button by hand a few times to spread it around.

A loose connector at the back of the switch could also be a culprit, but that's a less likely situation.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Fozzy XT
Transmission: Auto

Is this part# for all years? My 07XT is doing the same thing.... hard to get out of park and intermittent brake lights.

part #83370AA001 MSRP $40

Worked like a champ, fixed 2 issues. Thanks guys

Last edited by pzr2874; 01-30-2013 at 03:11 AM. Reason: to add
pzr2874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Automatic
Default Brake light switch worked for me

Hi all,

just to contribute to this thread -- I had the same problem with the auto shifter stuck in park (a 2006 Forester). After reading the suggestions above I took off the paneling of the transmission, cleaned everything up including that solenoid that unlocks the transmission when stepping on the brake, and used WD40 on the switch at the top of the brake pedal. Then I drove around for a while and waited for it to happen again. It took a few days, but eventually it did, and it was clearly the break pedal switch because my brake lights weren't going on. I even noticed that the switch was coming out as it should when I press on the pedal, but still no lights ... so definitely a defective switch.

I then searched online and found the part on ebay for US$6! However, I needed it done asap, and the only ebay parts at those prices were from the US. We're in Australia, and I couldn't wait that long (I think driving without brake lights is illegal after all), so I had to get the part at a dealership here -- cost me AU$54. Crazy what a difference that is.

Anyway, I replaced the switch, only took about half an hour, and haven't had the problem since -- all sorted! This is definitely an easy DIY job, it's a bit fiddly to get to, but not hard to do.

However, just in case anyone else has this issue -- since I drove to the dealership with the switch already out, the check engine light came on. This worried me (had I knocked any electric wires by accident?) but now a few days later that's turned itself off -- apparently the car computer detects when things that seemed wrong have righted themselves.

Happy tinkering and a massive thanks to all those giving advice on this -- you probably saved me $100 or more in repair costs, much appreciate it!

Jasdh
jasdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Subaru Forester XT
Default Need Some Help - Problem exists even after changing switch

Guys,

have a 2006 forester XT. Same problem just happened recently and after reading the posts on the forums, figured I order a new switch on ebay (83370AA001). I figured that had to be the problem since I was not seeing any brake lights come on at all when depressing the brake.

After changing the switch, it is still not working. No brake lights, shift inter-lock not working unless I manually depress it, checked all fuses. So what else can it be?

the only thing that I can think of is that I recently installed rally lights and havent had a chance to fix it yet but the inline fuse for the lights keep blowing. I think there is a short somewhere near the lights themselves but I decided to leave the fuse out and fix it later. Then this problem came up. Related?

Any help would be appreciated!
rlk204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: 2.5xt w/ td05-20g
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Definitely possible if that fuse powers your brake lights. I'm not sure exactly but that shift lock solenoid could very well be powered off the light circuit which now gets no power.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superacerc View Post
Definitely possible if that fuse powers your brake lights. I'm not sure exactly but that shift lock solenoid could very well be powered off the light circuit which now gets no power.
Let me clarify. Sorry. These are external Hella lights. The inline fuse is to the relay that came with the hella lights and its hooked up to the battery directly so I dont think it could be related. I am going to disconnect it as a precaution anyway until i get the brake lights/shift lock problem figured out first.

Any other suggestions? Do you know if the solenoid has a fuse somewhere or could that affect the brake lights not coming on?
Old 10-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: 2.5xt w/ td05-20g
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

It's definitely coverd by a fuse but probably lumped under the brake light fuse. Just check all your internal and external fuses. I'd get a multimeter and test to see if the selonoid gets 12v supply when you touch the brakes.

If your brake lights arent coming on theres a fuse blown or a wire broken somewhere.

You can always rig it if you have to temporarily by getting a 12v supply and switching it to activate the selonoid. Probably a fuse though.

The other thing that could be faulty is the brake light switch itself. If it's broke the lights won't come on and most likely the lock won't get activated either.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Member

Default Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superacerc View Post
It's definitely coverd by a fuse but probably lumped under the brake light fuse. Just check all your internal and external fuses. I'd get a multimeter and test to see if the selonoid gets 12v supply when you touch the brakes.

If your brake lights arent coming on theres a fuse blown or a wire broken somewhere.

You can always rig it if you have to temporarily by getting a 12v supply and switching it to activate the selonoid. Probably a fuse though.

The other thing that could be faulty is the brake light switch itself. If it's broke the lights won't come on and most likely the lock won't get activated either.
When you say the switch, do you mean part #9 #83370AA001
http://opposedforces.com/parts/fores...llustration_2/

Because that is what I did figuring that had to be the issue since there was no brake lights. Just want to make sure theres not another switch.

thank you for your suggestions. Im going to try tinkering a little more tomorrow. I've had a day and a half today. My other car was broken into last night and now I have 2 non working cars that I cant drive until I get the glass replaced in the morning. For the subie, if I can't figure it out I am going to have the guy who is going to install my downpipe fix it once I get it in this week.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member

Default Just an update - turns out it was a blown main fuse

I definitely shorted it when I was messing around with the hella lights. Dealer had to replace main switch fuse and my heated seats switch. $400 for my idiocy but lesson learned.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester

I seem to be having the same problem today. Car starts fine but will not come out of park. The fuse looks fine but replaced it just to be sure but didn't fix the problem. I removed the rear tail lights and the bulbs and wires appear fine. I took the console around the shifter off and there doesn't seem to be anything blocking it. If I push down the shift override button it will come out of park.

I recorded a video to see if my brake lights were coming on and it would appear they come on about 50% of the time. When they do come on it will shift out of park.

Based on all that does it sound like the brake switch down by the pedal?

Last edited by shane_c; 07-19-2014 at 02:46 PM.
shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Transmission and Driveline