Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Auto to manual swap question

('03-'05) 
4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  SubieSuu 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I'm new to the Subaru scene but have always had a thing for foresters. I've been looking for an 04+ xt that's a manual and am really having no luck. However, auto xt are pretty easy to find but not in Saskatchewan Canada. So I'm just wondering how easy it it to do a auto to manual swap on an xt? I'm pretty mechanical inclinded and my brother and dad are even more mechanical inclinded then me( their fixing up a salvage Audi s4 right now)
Any guidance and lists of things needed would be great.

#2 ·
Well, there are several things to consider aside from just the transmission.
1. installing clutch pedal
2. installing different brake pedal
3. installing clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder, running lines.
4. removing old shifter and linkages, installing new shifter and linkages
5. installing new gauge cluster (if you care... you don't have to)
6. Removing old wiring harnesses and TCM
7. THEN we get to pulling the engine and transmission.

To me, the easiest of all of these is number 7. It's fairly straight forward, but if you can do the rest, I'd say go for it. Just remember, it will be a lot more expensive to do a swap than to just find a manual XT to buy.

#4 ·
Plans for this car? If you want to keep it relatively stock, just go for a 5-speed manual. If you really want to boost the power and make it a track/racing oriented car, just go straight for a 6-speed from a STi, or a 5-speed with aftermarket gears. The stock 5-speed just isn't going to hold power well when the engine is at 300 WHP. Only a matter of time before you break the stock 5 speed with high than stock power.

#6 ·
Thanks for the welcome adc and thanks everyone for the info.
I did try searching for some threads but came up with nothing.
So I think I'd be better off just waiting till a manual comes up or I should just keep hounding the Subaru dealer here in town to get me.
Thanks again guy

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.