Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Anybody know what this is in the 'transfer case'?

('01-'02) 
4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  M J 
#1 ·
Over the last few months I heard the pilot bearing making noises - I also noticed some clutch slippage (note that the VSS had also just stopped working). I ordered an Exedy kit with everything included. Last weekend I pulled the transmission and installed it. Everything appeared to be fine. Over the next day or so I began hearing the same noises as before - a mix of a metal on metal sound and a squeaking sound. Then I noticed increase resistance when taking off from a stop. THEN I noticed that the car wouldn't drive in reverse for more than a few feet before lurching to a stop (like an AT dumped into PARK). The transmission began making a lot of noise as well. It was making less noise when the clutch pedal was depressed but the noises were still there. When I try to shift into gear from a stop it's very difficult. It seemed to go into reverse without a problem (other than mentioned earlier), but I really had to work to get it into gear. The rear shifter bushing is installed correctly, the fluid isn't low, and nothing is loose. The car will drive forward but it does make noise.

I pulled the transmission back out hoping to find something in the bellhousing to be corrected, but it was perfect. Something was keeping the transmission from freely moving (even in neutral). So, I drained the fluid out of the transmission/diff/transfer case. Immediately noticeable was some rolled up and broken pieces of 'something'. Turns out to be plastic material. I thought it might be from the VSS gear getting bound up and shredded, but it's in the transfer case. Here's pictures of what I found. I'm not sure what to think of the gouges in the gear pictured, and I do not know what the arrow points to in the 3rd picture that is burned. I really hope that someone can be of help here.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Oil Guide is the Burned bit.
Look on the other side of the aluminium transfer case housing.
There is a roller bearing on the transfer driven gear to the rear tail shaft.
The roller bearing is mounted on the other side.
With that amount of heat the bearing is in distress.
Keep us updated with what you find.
Good luck,. Cheers!

The round cylinder thing on the same image is Reverse Check Sleeve.
It is also now probably severley heat stressed which is why you are having dificulties selecting gears.
It will need to be checked out too!

Do not worry too much about the "Gouge". They are probably identification grooves to identify the different 5th gear ratios used in production.

#4 ·
Thanks guys! So I've got the whole thing apart, looks like the center diff may have overheated and fused together. I know this is the portion that contains the viscous coupling so that must be what is stuck together.

I'm still unable to turn the transmission (I'm certain it is in neutral) from the input shaft. The output shaft has two spline gears - the smaller gear closer to the end freely moves. The other is bound up by the gear assembly (same as the input shaft).

I'm trying to figure out what is causing the transmission not to move - assuming it is in fact in neutral. I'm also trying to discern beyond doubt that the center diff is actually 'stuck'.

#5 ·
The "gouge" is normal.

As far as center diff overheating issues do you know if the car always ran tires of the same age (perhaps biggest possible issue)?

As far as needle bearing or other issues do you know if the oil was changed any and what types used?

I noticed the shaft nuts seemed still staked in position and not loosened like some have had problems with.

#6 ·
According to the original (previous) owner, it was always serviced by Power Subaru in Scottsdale (AZ). The tires were always matching (she even mentioned it to me on our phone call!). I had the transmission fluid flushed and refilled when I got it - I'm around 30-35k now. From what I know it's always been regular 80-90w or 75-90w.

The inside was actually very clean, so it looks like the 'debris' was just from this most recent overheating.

I was able to get the transmission to 'turn' (input and output shaft) when I placed the center diff in position and manually turn it. Of course the internal components of the diff didn't move. I am starting to think this is because of the viscous coupling feature isn't engaged while out of the car. Is this an accurate assumption?

The transmission doesn't really seem to be the source of the resistance, and once the car was moving I was able to shift without grinding (except 4th still doesn't always catch).

I was thinking about getting a second center diff from the junk yard to see if it will move freely or not. I just wasn't sure what my options were as far as finding one and installing it in the car. From what I read most of the imprezas have a 4.11 center diff like the foresters.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.