Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Another Rear Diff/Bearing Thread

('03-'05) 
1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  SouthWestWanderer 
#1 ·
I appreciate this has been covered a number of times, but search doesn't seem to cover the noise/symptoms I am experiencing:

I have a '03 2.0 X with MT. She as done 90k miles. I bought her at approx 30k miles (6 years old) off a little old guy who just used her to go to the shops.

I do all my own servicing: I changed the transmission oils at 59,512 miles on 24/2/11. At the time I wrote in the book that it would be due again at 95,500. I don't know where I got that from (36k interval seems odd?), but with hindsight I probably ought to shorten the interval really due to enthusiatic driving and some off road use.

A few months ago I started to hear the familliar rumble of wheel bearings when at speed, but put this down to tyre wear (I know scooby transmissions can be noisy when tyre wear is mis-matched). Since then she has had new boots all round, but the noise is still there, and is getting worse.

The noise happens between 75mph and 90mph, and is definately a rumble/grinding noise, not a whine. The noise will get worse on a trailing throttle, and gets quieter if you accelerate/brake.

Obviously, at those sorts of speeds I'm not doing much cornering, but rural Essex is twisty and I don't tend to hear any noise at any speed while cornering (even fast/enthusiatically). This makes me think it's not a wheel bearing.

It sounds central, and I am worried it might be differential related, but don't want to get my knickers in a twist unneccessarily. I guess the best thing would be to change the oil again and see if that helps.

Anyone have any thoughts?

See less See more
#3 ·
Hello matey, thanks for posting.

I managed to get out in her this afternoon and turned the radio off for my ziggy-zaggy journey to town. The noise is not there at normal road speeds, but becomes apparent at motorway speeds, so I couldn't really tell any difference.

The noise is definately not related to wheel speed i.e. it's not directly related to the rotation of one specific wheel, but is more of a constant grinding/growling/roaring noise that only happens between 75-90 mph, being worst around 85 mph.

If it happened at all speeds I would assume it was something rubbing, but it is onlt at some speeds.

Even more worried than ever.

#4 ·
Bad news??

Right, sorry to drag this up again, but I have done some more experiments.

The noise is getting worse, now appearing at lower speeds, and more frequently/louder. The noise goes away if you take the car out of gear while it is happening, leaving the car totally silent. It comes back when a gear is re-selected.

This makes me think it cannot be wheel bearings. The sound comes from the rear and, in fact, sounds like it is in the boot so I think it is diff related.

Would the diff bearings go quiet under no load, or does this indicate deeper problems?

How easy is it to replace a diff? How much will one cost second hand?

I also need to change to a diesel soon due to work miles. Am I better trading it in against a new one and making it a dealer's problem??

Thanks

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.