Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Another 4EAT shifting/torque bind thread

('03-'05) 
6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  yazmo 
#1 ·
I have a '05 Forester XS. 160,000 on the clock.

This is a picture of what the trans looks like (best I could find online).

Everything I can find online says that it is a phase 2 4eat.

In the last 3,000 miles it has gone from perfect shifts and no torque bind to bad torque bind and slam shifting when slowing and then accelerating.

I did a drain and refill with a filter 2 weeks ago and the shifting was perfect again for 25 miles or so, then progressively went back to slam shifting.

I replaced the MPT clutch pack 3 days ago, still get the torque bind. Install the FWD fuse and the torque bind it completely gone. Shifting is faster, but the slam shifting still occurs even with the FWD fuse in. However upon completing the reassembly after changing the clutch pack and refilling the fluid, the shifting was perfect again for about 25 miles.

From my research online, I have found that the Duty C solenoid and valve body should be changed. According to my local Subaru dealer, there is no listing for just the Duty C solenoid and valve body. They say that the Duty C is a part of the main valve body and that the whole thing has to be changed as an assembly and it is $885.:woohoo:

Anybody Have the part numbers for the Duty C solenoid? Also the other duty solenoids.

I have found several people online that have changed the duty C, but every one of the pics they post don't look the same as the MPT in my trans.
This is what mine looks like.

According to what I have found, the one and only plug on the back housing of the trans is a speed sensor and not a trigger for the Duty C solenoid so I assume that the duty C is not located in the back of the trans like most.

See less See more
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.