Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2014 - 5MT with grinding issues?

('09-'13) 
4K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Poconosteve 
#1 ·
My 2012 Forester is grinding when up-shifting into 3rd gear. The dealer has been cooperative and had the 3rd gear syncro replaced, and subsequently the whole transmission replaced, plus they put Extra-S oil in the new transmission. The car has about 5500 miles on it.

I also drove another new Forester on their lot, and it did the same thing. Is it just the nature of the beast? If I shift slowly, or very quickly, I can usually avoid it. It grinds regularly when I drive "normally". Is it a matter of driving style? Is it strange that a new transmission has the same exact problem? Would a short throw shifter help?

#2 · (Edited)
Short throw will make no difference if it is an issue within the box. Are you sure you're pushing the clutch all the way into contact with the floor, Subaru's tend to need that. The only reason I say that is not to sound like a critic but because you mentioned the replacement transmission is exhibiting the same symptom which sounds like an unlikely result, statistically. Then again the dealer is not going to perform the work mentioned, which was two major repairs, unless the tech can clearly duplicate the problem when driving it so nevermind the clutch to the floor comment (but Subarus do tend to need that).

Extra-S is good but synthetic would be better (Extra-S is not synthetic). Try ENEOS synthetic gear oil, 75W90 GL5. ENEOS is #1 in Japan. I have 2000 miles on it in my 5-speed and it is smooth shifting. I can downshift into 1st from 20mph with ease on this oil, unless the trans is still cold.

Any gear oil used in the Subaru transmission cannot have any limited slip friction modifiers in it because it will cause the exact symptom you are having-- grinding shifts because the syncros can't grab due to the LS friction modifiers.

#3 ·
It doesn't seem to matter how much I push the clutch in. I even moved the seat forward to make sure I get the pedal to the floor each time. With the first transmission 3rd gear grinded more while it was warming up. This one does it when it's fully warmed, but not at all when cold.

I've been looking into various oils, but I want to make sure whatever I do, I keep the car under warranty.

#5 ·
A lot of us start shifting into first before we stop, so that we can take off as soon as we stop (stop signs, right turn on red lights, etc). Being able to get the car in gear as soon as possible so we can pay attention to other things helps :)

Reactions: Poconosteve
#8 ·
From what I can tell the TY75 transmission is also used in cars. This is my first Subie - do all MT Subarus have to be driven like a truck? If I bought this one used, I would live with it, but if there's something wrong, I'm getting it fixed under warranty. I just don't know what else they can do since they already replaced the transmission.

#10 ·
I don't think an owner of a new car should have to fiddle with transmission oils to get their car to shift properly. It was already an effort convincing the dealer to order and install the Extra-S. A lot of people swear by the stuff, and it still didn't make any difference. So everybody here is happy with their late model 5-speed transmissions?

#11 ·
I wouldn't exactly call any Subaru 5mt a "late model transmission". It is essentially a design that has had relatively few major changes in decades.

I have never really had a issue with any Subaru 5mt I have driven. Some are picky at certain temperatures not wanting to slide into gear. I haven't had an issue with grinding, but then again my daily shifting style would be called slow by many of the youth today. I shift every thing like I do a old truck, hell my truck requires almost 10 inches of throw on the stick to change gears.

No one on here can really tell you if yours is any different. Driving styles play a huge roll. Best I can say is go test drive a few other 5mt Subarus. That way it is your driving style you are making the comparison with.

#12 ·
The Subaru 5MT will feel like a truck, yes. Grinding is from you forcing it to work the way it won't, no fluid will change that. Shifting it into 1st at 20MPH will make it worse quicky -- don't. It was not designed with performance in mind, nothing in the car was.

Stan

#13 ·
It has something to do with driving style. If I shift like grandma, I can avoid the ker-chunk into 3rd gear. Likewise if I shift super fast like an angry teen, it works fine too. It's only during "normal" driving that the grinding happens. I'll see about driving some other Subies to compare.

#16 ·
I'm bumping this thread because I have some grinding issues with my 2013 1-2 shift and sometimes the 3-4 shift. I've been driving stick for 20+ years and have never had grinding problems so I don't think its my driving style. My STI 6MT never grinds and I've had a WRX 5MT in the past with no issues either. I noticed that I do need to press the clutch all the way to the floor (and I mean all the way) to avoid grinding. It just feels like the clutch engages way too close to the floor.

#17 ·
I'm bumping this thread, because i have grinding issues with my subaru 2009. I was using Redline 75w90NS on my last tranny change, but I had a local sub repair put Extra S. When driving about 100 miles on the highway in Arizona 90+ degrees, afterwards, i get grinding when putting into reverse and sometimes putting it in 5th gear. I didn't seem to have much of that last summer with Redline NS in my gear box. It seems that extra S isn't very good for summer driving is what i'm thinking. I just ordered some Motul 300 gear oil. Will that fix it or does someone recommend some concoction of something else?

#18 ·
How many miles? I read a lot of stuff here. Some good some pretty interesting. I’m off-road a bunch so I probably over change my fluids, if that’s possible. I’ve used all types of juice, royal puprple, Motul, Valvoline, pretty much what I can find in quantity that’s a GL-5. Really haven’t noticed any great change between manufacturers. Noticed a difference in viscosities. So yeah in winter in the north east I’ll run a touch thinner and summer a bit thicker. Do they grind going into 3rd? Everyone I’ve ever driven is touchy. Then it’ll start to whine while in 3rd. Lol Then it’s time to pull it and service it. The other glass piece in that trans is the center differential.
Good luck.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.