Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2009 - 5 Speed gearbox's - are they the same, N/A to Turbo's?

('03-'05) 
20K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  greengoblin68 
#1 ·
Hey all, Considering picking up a project Foz - It is a face lift SG with a 5 speed but I am told it needs a reco.

Are the gearbox's the same in the non turbo variants of subaru's? (impezza etc?)

Or are they all different? Will a wrx gearbox work?

If not - whats the best place to buy gear-sets and attempt a rebuild.

I have rebuilt two motors before at home, I am not afraid to try out a gearbox build and get my hands dirty (if its viable price wise for a DIY!)

#2 ·
Non turbos have low ratio option, turbos don't, and ratios will also be different, as will rear diff ratios between turbo and non turbo. Over here, Impreza wagons ( non turbo only) have a low ratio option, the saloon doesn't but Doubt an Impreza wagon box would directly fit a forester.

#3 ·
off topic question, are the non turbo 5speed trans any stronger (durable) compared to whats in a turbo 5speed car ? since the ratio are different ,and would that affect the lifeline of the trans. just wondering , correct me if im wrong or completely off

#4 ·
Undoubtably, the much lower torque going through a non turbo gearbox will generate less forces and so less wear and tear generally. But it all depends on the driver and his/ her level of mechanical sympathy, along with maintenance?

#5 ·
heres some info i gleaned that my help you look for a trans... i was considering a 5mt swap but decided against it...this is out of the 03 service manual...

From page SPC3 of the service manual:
2.5L non turbo manual trans has 4.11:1 final drive
Non-turbo AT and Turbo manual and AT all have 4.44:1 final drive.

Side Note- The VTD automatic transmissions in the WRX, Legacy GT, 6 cylinder Outbacks, and in the future Baja Turbo have different final drive ratios in the front and rear differentials. This is because of the way the transfer case splits torque which results in the front and rear driveshafts spinning at different rates. The differentials have compensating ratios so that the wheels all turn at the same rate. (Oh how I wish the XT had the VTD system).

2.5 Non Turbo 5 Manual
1st 3.454
2nd 2.062
3rd 1.448
4th 1.088
5th 0.780
Reverse 3.333
Transfer 1.000
Final 4.111

2.5 Non Turbo 4 Auto
1st 3.027
2nd 1.619
3rd 1.000
4th 0.694
Reverse 2.272
Transfer (none)
Final 4.444

2.5 XT Turbo 5 Manual
1st 3.454
2nd 1.947
3rd 1.366
4th 0.972
5th 0.738
Reverse 3.333
Transfer 1.000
Final 4.444

2.5 XT Turbo 4 Auto
1st 2.785
2nd 1.545
3rd 1.000
4th 0.694
Reverse 2.272
Transfer (none)
Final 4.444

#6 ·
Hmmmm, interesting info - seems getting a used box would be pretty difficult. Considering I would like it to be the same as the one that is having issues. Being a 2006 model foz, I think they revised the gear ratio's on it too, so the older ones would be different.

That said, I looked at the car and it seemed to into gear when the motor was off, but when it was running it would only go into reverse.

Not sure what the issue could be as I have never pulled apart a gearbox before. The person selling the car said they had a new clutch put in 3 month's ago as well, so very strange.

#7 ·
My bet would be on a clutch problem in that case, since simplistically, I believe a gearbox problem would affect certain gears not all forward gears, and / or be noisy. When you're in reverse, does the clutch seem to bite ok and move the car in reverse? Can you put the car in first gear with the clutch depressed, then start the engine and release the clutch to see if it picks up drive ok?

#8 ·
Good things to check CCRIEN, the current owner was able to get it moving no problem in reverse, but that said the box did make some noise when the clutch was not being pressed.

When you press it in the noise goes away.

I am still deciding whether or not I am going to go down this path.

#9 ·
I believe worn input shaft bearings make the gearbox noise that goes away when the clutch is pressed, but my knowledge of your gearbox issue not being able to select forward gears is very limited, sorry. Hope someone else can answer. Best of luck if you take a leap and go with this car.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.