LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 397 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 03:29 PM
Administrator
Contributing Member

Car Year: MY03
Car Model: XS Premium / Luxury
Transmission: 4EAT w/diff lock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just be carful you don't bump the switch when using the cup holders! I usually shove a piece of rubber under the switch when not offroad.

MY'03 XS AT offroad; MY10 Triton GLX-R

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 397 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 03:31 PM
Dodgy Post Whore - eh!

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: XT 2.5 AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms
... allow for a nicer and easier to get illuminated switch - found a nice black oval rocker switch at local auto accessories place with red LED built in (from SupaCheap Auto and also available with green or yellow LED if anyone interested).
P7708 from DSE too gauche?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
100Mm
post #18 of 397 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 04:33 PM
Contributing Member

Whenever I get around to installing a relay, I have one of these switches to use:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062493

2002 S 4EAT

215/65-16 General Grabber AT2
post #19 of 397 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 05:04 PM
SeaComms

I like that one MB, although, looks more like it should be for the hidden rocket launchers....

post #20 of 397 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 05:31 PM
Dodgy Post Whore - eh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiker
Whenever I get around to installing a relay, I have one of these switches to use:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062493
Armed and dangerous!

But I thought you weren't going to use a relay, and do I understand correctly that the centre diff locked is the default position for the solenoid?

100Mm
post #21 of 397 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 06:00 PM
SeaComms

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepish
Armed and dangerous!

But I thought you weren't going to use a relay, and do I understand correctly that the centre diff locked is the default position for the solenoid?
Yes, you are correct. According to the manual, in the failed condition (TCM failure, Solenoid failure or wiring failure) the default position for the solenoid actually engages the clutch fully, acheiving 50/50 drive. I do find this unusual, especially with the comments made by others of the "binding" feeling on hard surface when in this mode.

One can only assume that Subaru is comfortable with the strength of the drivetrain to not fail totally under these circumstances. Obviously, there will be a lovely flashing light on the dash, although some of the backward cap wearing fraternity may mistake this for disco lights.....

post #22 of 397 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 07:45 PM
Dodgy Post Whore - eh!

Quote:
By the way, I prefer the way Kevin did it with the switch in the center console rather than in the dash. The wiring runs right there near the parking brake, you just need to find the correct wire, which is no problem with the service manual.
I'm beginning to think I'm missing out on a lot without a service manual. Is there an offiical Subaru one or (to the Aussies) should I look for a Hanes or Gregories workshop manual?

FWIW I had a glance at SOA's online manual thing but couldn't be bothered seeing if I could register (being very much an out-of-towner). And "Sane" is the only thing I can ever think of to put for my State.

100Mm
post #23 of 397 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 08:59 PM
SeaComms

Na.. The aftermarket clan (like Gregories) dont make them for the Forester - I think Subaru might be a little tight with the information. I found one on ebay that apears to be a copy of the one the service agents use - Mitchel On Demand from memory. Best $10 I ever spent. Covers all model Subarus form 1983 to 2002.

post #24 of 397 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 09:20 PM
Dodgy Post Whore - eh!

Quote:
Na.. The aftermarket clan (like Gregories) dont make them for the Forester - I think Subaru might be a little tight with the information.
That might explain why I haven't seen them! I guess taking the car apart and putting it back together is still a lot less work than coming up with all the wiring diagrams, full specs, etc on their own. Ah well.

100Mm
post #25 of 397 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 09:55 PM
SeaComms

Something like this is what you need

post #26 of 397 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 10:08 PM
Dodgy Post Whore - eh!

Quote:
Something like this is what you need
Darn. That's exactly what I need. But... "Posts to: Australia"

What a mo - I've got relatives in Aus! I'll work on that one. Thanks heaps.

100Mm
post #27 of 397 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 10:39 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
I wanted a better switch that won't be activated accidentally. However, the missile switches don't seem to be available in DPDT, so I plan to use a relay with the missile switch. However, this item is quite a ways down my priority list, so who knows when/if I'll get to it!

The transfer clutch will "lock" when power is lost or the solenoid fails. Full power to the solenoid totall "unlocks" the transfer clutch. When the trans is in Park or Neutral, the solenoid is de-powered. However, I'm not sure if you it would remain de-powered when in motion and in Neutral. Probably not, because I've never noticed any binding when coasting in Neutral.

2002 S 4EAT

post #28 of 397 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 12:26 AM
Dodgy Post Whore - eh!

Quote:
I wanted a better switch that won't be activated accidentally. However, the missile switches don't seem to be available in DPDT, so I plan to use a relay with the missile switch.
Available down here in li'l ol' New Zealand at a couple of places.

DSE: Missile cover and DPDT toggle switch.

Jaycar: Missile cover and DPDT toggle switch.

And check out Jaycar's USB Missile Launcher! Aim from your computer then just click your mouse. PC only, tho.

100Mm
post #29 of 397 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 03:46 AM
Dodgy Post Whore - eh!

Quote:
When the trans is in Park or Neutral, the solenoid is de-powered. However, I'm not sure if you it would remain de-powered when in motion and in Neutral. Probably not, because I've never noticed any binding when coasting in Neutral.
I'm not sure if that explains why towing is (according to my translated handbook) OK at <30km/hr and <30km distance if the engine is off. Or maybe it does and I need to go to bed.

Where does the FWD fuse fit in all this and how is its operation affected by installing a switch? Does it simply short out the TCM, thereby pulling the centre diff completely open (if the 4x4 switch isn't activated)?

100Mm
post #30 of 397 (permalink) Old 06-21-2006, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
I'm not sure if that explains why towing is (according to my translated handbook) OK at <30km/hr and <30km distance if the engine is off. Or maybe it does and I need to go to bed.

Where does the FWD fuse fit in all this and how is its operation affected by installing a switch? Does it simply short out the TCM, thereby pulling the centre diff completely open (if the 4x4 switch isn't activated)?
Thanks for the switch links! I'll see if I can find some of those over here.

The FWD fuse disables the transfer clutch by supplying full power to the transfer clutch solenoid. I'm not sure if it provides this power when the key is turned off, but I think it won't.

2002 S 4EAT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Transmission and Driveline

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode