Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

4EAT slowness

('09-'13) 
10K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  GreyingJay 
#1 ·
Well, electronic trannies and I does not get very well.

This tranny is particular slow to shift up and down.

Is there a way to make shifts a little bit faster?

I can count up 3 seconds before downshift.

Is there any software update available?

#2 ·
You have a 2011 which should have sport shift in it. Move the shifter down to "D", then slid it over for sport mode, or slide over and push it up and down to manually select the gears. This will greatly increase the shift speed.

This is your shifter, no?

#3 ·
If you want it to down shift immediately to the lowest possible gear tap the accelerator pedal twice while in drive or sport (wont work in manual mode). It's one of those seldom talked about features. It'll surprise you.

#8 ·
What about in manual mode? Mine is fairly quick. If you let up on the pedal any when its about to shift though, it will make it shift slower. From driving manual cars I originaly had the tendancy to let up a bit when I knew it was shifting. It is meant to keep the pedal mashed when it shifts. Not sure if that would be your case but another idea nonetheless.

#6 ·
Holds the lower gears longer before upshifting, downshifts, while cruising, earlier than D. Drive is going to shift early and smoother. Sport shifts later and harder. However if you drive slowly you won't notice much difference.

#9 ·
I like the double tap gas pedal trick better than sport mode.. good for going down steep hills too...

I dont even know if it is possible to put in manual mode from D or Sport mode while driving...?? and I drive in D, thats why I use the double tap gas pedal method.....I am scared of doing damage going from drive to manual mode.

Heck who knows if double tapping the gas peddle while in D or Sport for quick downshifting is healthy....??

#10 ·
It doesn't hurt anything going to manual mode at any time. Thats why they put it in there. And if you were to tell it to go to a gear it knows will hurt the engine it will refuse with a polite beep. Its all electronically controlled these days with plenty of safegaurds to keep you from hurting anything. Try it out and have fun with it. Thats why they gave you the option from the factory.

I switch mine back and forth between drive, and sport, and manual all the time while driving. I like manual cause it won't down shift on slight hills when I know it doesn't need it or for hill descent like you mentioned. On drives with the family I usually keep it in drive for smooth comfort, and on daily commutes usually leave it in manual and have fun making the morning commute interesting.

I love this car even with its old school 4 speed auto.

#14 ·
Reaction time to downshift when not in manual mode is pretty sluggish unless you double tap tbe accelerator, which makes it tolerable. However upshifting at full throttle isnt bad. I don't think I could shift a manual any faster or more precisely. Heres my 4eat shifting on its own at redline. Not bad really. I do wish it had an extra ratio between 3rd and 4th making 3rd a shorter gear and a better 4th and 5th would be much taller for mileage.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.