Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

4EAT Pump shaft removal tool (for unfortunate souls)

(All Years) 
10K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Kevin 
#1 · (Edited)
HI everyone,

Somewhat new here, not new to Subies though...

I know here the majority of the Subies are Automatics, so this fits well (may consider a sticky)

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT know Subies beyond my 2003, so I AM NOT 100% sure that this will work for later models.. It's not a rule, it's a "guide"... proceed at your own risk..

For those of us that do our own work, we sometimes run into trouble that only specialty tools can fix...

For anyone that's pulled the motor out of an automatic Subaru WITHOUT unbolting the Flexplate to Torque Converter connection first NEED to look at this...

The Subaru 4EAT has an internal pump shaft that attaches to the notches in the TC, it uses a wire spring clip to physically hold the TC and pump shaft together...

When the motor or trans is removed without unbolting the FP/TC connection, this pump shaft gets pulled OUT of the pump... 8-9" down inside of the transmission...

I went down this road this spring and thought I has seized a NEW rebuilt motor, but it was the pump shaft binding against the TC...

THE FIX...

You have to go fishing for the pump shaft and spring clip inside of the transmission... the clip is easy, the pump shaft, not so much...

Once I show the pics, it'll be clear to anyone that's in the situation, the ears on the shaft engage the TC and the spring clip loosely holds the assembly together..

The pump shaft engages the pump with 2 flats on the fat end of the shaft.. :Banane08:

Overall of the pump shaft and fishing tool...

Can see where I doinked the ears on the shaft with the TC upon assembly.. You can also see the grove for the spring clip..

and the TC

Here, looking at the bottoms of the slots for the ears of the pump shaft, you can see the locations for the ears of the spring clip... I DO NOT have a pic of the spring clip, but it's pretty self explanitory, if you are doing the work..

Fat end of the pump shaft, showing the flats that index into the pump..

Cool vid "making of a fishing tool"

I still have the tool if something can't be come up with, I'd send it on to the next guy for the cost of shipping and gas (10-12$)...

Maybe a tracking list set up through this thread.. lol.. it could be passed around...

Anyhoo, I hope this helps someone, I just went though this in the spring with my Fozzy...

Cheers
Aaron

See less See more
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.