Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

4EAT to 6 speed STI swap - some wiring questions

('06-'08) 
5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Soflab 
#1 ·
Hello everybody,
I am swapping my 4EAT gearbox with 6 speed MT from STI MY03. first of all I would like to tell you my issues with the hardware installation. So I have ordered:
1. STI 03 6 speed MT
2. propeller shaft
3. R180 rear diff
4. Starter
5. flywheel
6. front and rear axels
7. shifter
When I have started to change parts everything in front is bolt on, but with the rear axels I had an issue: my rear axels are 24 teeth 25mm OD, the R180 drive shaft is 27 teeth 28mm OD, so you have two option:
A. you have to order type r rear hubs in order to keep the calipers, but you will sacrify your ABS, or
B. you have to order rear hubs from 01-04 STI together with hand brake hardness and brembos plus front brembo with brake disks.
I choose option A. the next issue is with pedals: I have ordered pedals from STI GD and master clutch cylinder as well. You need to shorten the piston rot of the master cylinder in order to do it work. now everything with my car is on place. I red that I need to keep the TCU connected to ECU in order to avoid CELs. As I told you I will not have anymore ABS until I swap my brakes with brembo front and rear sides. So can I remove TCM or no yet? My gearbox came with speed sensor on it - how i need to connect it to ECU? Can I use the neutral switch which has come with the gearbox and where to connect? I supposed my cruise control will not work as long I have not ABS, am I right?
I see that many of you swap auto from an older FXT to newer STI 6 MT, but I already spend a lot of money for KW-V3 and OZ wheels and would like to keep PCD to 5x100, that's why my swap is from 08 FXT (SG9) to 03 STI MT. I will appreciate any help in wiring.
All the best. Boris

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not an expert on this by any means, but maybe searching for "hybrid axles" on this forum might help you. I know some people have used axles with different teeth counts and OD on each end so they fit in the differential and then the stock hub.

#3 ·
thank you, but the issue with the rear drive shafts is done. I already receive the "type r" rear hubs and they fit perfectly on my R180 drive shafts as well to my old calipers. I still wait for some answers of how to make wiring of the speed, neutral, and rear switches. should I remove or not the TCM, or I have to leave it on it's place.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.