Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2010 X 5MT diff and trans. questions

('09-'13) 
1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Kanufixit2 
#1 ·
Hello to all of you subi guru's
This is my first but defenately not my last subaru. I bought this 10' forester about 4 months ago. currently it has about 63,xxx miles on it. i have changed the engine oil and after the cold months plan on changing the trans and diff. oil also. i dont need a high dollar oil. BUT i do believe you get what you pay for!!! I would like to pick the brains of anyone that has any experience changing and doing regular meantence on these drivelines.. what brand and weight oil is used for trans and diff???

Thank you,
Erik

#2 ·
Erik,

The place to start is in chapters 11 (Maintenance and Service) and 12 (Specifications) in your owner's manual.

For your transaxle (combination MT and front diff), you'll need ~3.7 U.S. quarts of quality API GL-5 75W/90 gear oil without limited slip (LS) modifiers. Personally, I prefer Mobil Delvac synthetic gear oil, but it's hard to find.

You'll probably need a T-70 star bit to loosen the transaxle case's drain plug. I bought mine at an AutoZone store, IIRC.

For your rear diff, you'll need ~0.8 U.S. quarts of API GL-5 75W/90 gear oil; with or without LS modifiers is OK. I'm finishing up a supply of Subaru Extra-S that I have, but Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil is readily available.

The "correct" tool for the read diff plugs is a 13mm square bit. Many members have been successful with a 1/2" bit (12/7mm). Loosen the top (fill) plug before you remove the bottom (drain) plug.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

#3 ·
"I prefer Mobil Delvac synthetic gear oil, but it's hard to find."

Yes it is.......... I went to my local Catepillar dealer (Carter Cat) and was able to get a case in quart configuration. If anyone is looking for Mobil Delvac try any shop that services heavy equipment such as road tractors, dozers, excavators, etc.

#6 ·
I think any major brand will work just fine for your application, but I'm stuck on Mobil 1 for the engines and Mobil Delvac for the running gear because of my heavy equipment experience. SO, as it was stated before make shore that your choice is not LS and GL-5 compliant.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.