('03-'05) 2003 M.T. Forester Transmission Replacement - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Transmission and Driveline
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 08:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: Manual
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2003 M.T. Forester Transmission Replacement

I've poked around here a little bit, but I can't find the exact answer I'm looking for. I have the transmission chart from these forums, and the 2004 Forester Non-turbo has the same exact specs as the 2003. Can I direct bolt-on a 2004 Forester transmission to my 2003 Forester? There are so many more 2004 transmissions out there for sale than 2003's, and they cost way less in general.
deadspider187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2011, 09:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester X Premium
Transmission: 5MT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

The SPDA - Transmission Chart

http://opposedforces.com/parts/

You can pretty much run any Subaru 5mt that has the correct final drive ratio.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:

You can pretty much run any Subaru 5mt that has the correct final drive ratio.
I have the chart already, and the ratios are the same, but I'm planning on swapping this at a friends house in another state over a weekend. I don't really have the option of ordering parts and letting the car sit there for a week, so any parts I would need have to be purchased beforehand. Has anyone actually done this particular swap before?
Old 08-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Car Year: 03

I'm looking to do a simple replacement on a 2003 too. I'm looking at later model tranmissions however. Every car has the 2.5L nonturbo engine.

2005 Imprezza Outback
2006 Imprezza
2008 Imprezza

Would these bolt right up, requiring no other changes or modifications?

Thanks
Terence
03SilverForest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03SilverForest View Post
I'm looking to do a simple replacement on a 2003 too. I'm looking at later model tranmissions however. Every car has the 2.5L nonturbo engine.

2005 Imprezza Outback
2006 Imprezza
2008 Imprezza

Thanks
Terence
Can anyone answer our question? Is there any other transmission in the Subaru lineup or different year Forester transmission that can be directly swapped without any modification?
Old 11-03-2011, 04:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

For future reference of those who end up in the same boat. the 2004 is not directly swappable with the 2003. I've been told that you must have the differential from the 2004 to do a direct swap.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester 2.5XT
Default Anyone still there????

I know it was a while ago but Is there another way to get that transmission chart?? Can't seem to get the link to work and I need to find a part number for a mt box to fix a 2004/5 2.5 XT.
20tothegallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester X Premium
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Link worked for me, if you are not a registered member on NASIOC it may not allow the DL.

In any case I uploaded it here, See attachment below.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Default Thanks!

Many thanks for that. Always helpfull!! Am I right in assuming then that all forester XTs have a final drive ratio of 4.444, irrespective of being 2.0 or 2.5?
Old 09-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: XT Sport
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 19 reviews

Alright, there is a lot of detail missing in this thread... So I might as well step in and provide some info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03SilverForest View Post

2005 Imprezza Outback
2006 Imprezza
2008 Imprezza

The transmissions from 2008+ Imprezas, 2009+ Foresters, and 2010+ Legacy use a different vehicle speed sensor (VSS) arrangement which isn't directly interchangeable on older models. You would require a VSSPro unit from DCCDPro.com to have the speedometer functioning correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadspider187 View Post
For future reference of those who end up in the same boat. the 2004 is not directly swappable with the 2003. I've been told that you must have the differential from the 2004 to do a direct swap.
The Forester non-turbo 5MT remained unchanged from MY03-08 in North America. The gear ratios and final drive ratios are all the same. They also all use male front axles. Transmissions from MY02 and older used female front axles. The Impreza and Legacy lineup made the transition from female to male axles during MY03 as some models still used female axles before switching over to male axles. Even the MY04 FXT uses female axles whereas the MY05 switched to male axles. You can adapt a female axle onto a newer male-axle transmission using the same principle that the 6-speed guys use to swap STi gearboxes into older cars.
You buy the axle stubs, oil seals, and new cir-clips and adapt the transmission over. Here is a parts list of what is needed for such a conversion:
Left Oil Seal (P/N: 80673042)
Right Oil Seal (P/N: 806730041)
Axle Stubs (P/N: 38415AA100) x2
Axle Circlips (P/N: 805329010) x2
This doesn't mean you need the transmission and rear differential to do the swap, it means you would technically need the transmission and updated male front axles in order to swap out the older style transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20tothegallon View Post
Many thanks for that. Always helpfull!! Am I right in assuming then that all forester XTs have a final drive ratio of 4.444, irrespective of being 2.0 or 2.5?
Not all Forester XT's have a 4.444 final drive ratio. Yes all of the manual XT models were 4.444, but the automatic models were 4.111 much like the non-turbo Foresters. Also note that the FXT's switched from female front axles to male front axles for the USDM MY05 cars (JDM MY04). To use a MY05 or later FXT transmission in an earlier, female axled version you would need to do the conversion I listed above.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member

Thats brilliant, thanks for the help! Best forum out there, just a pity i need it so much..............!
Excuse my ignorance tho, but where do UK/European Foresters fit into the USDM MY or JDM MY?? And did the 2.5XT replace the 2.0XT at a certain specific date or was there an overlap?
Thanks again, will leave you in peace and go shopping for gearboxes now...............
Old 09-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: XT Sport
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 19 reviews

I can only make assumptions towards those items, but I was under the impression that the UK-spec cars followed the same trend as the JDM versions as far as model years and trim are concerned... aside from the obvious differences like the CrossSports trim levels.

I sadly have to claim ignorance on the subject. I only know a few details about the 2.0XT models. Basically, they were produced between February 2002 and May 2005 with three different manual transmissions, the TY755VN3AA for MY03, the TY755VN4AA for MY04, and the TY755VN5AA for MY05 (note they aren't listed in any of the transmission charts currently) which all appear to have been 4.444 final drives based on the part numbers for their differential pinion gear sets. The 2.0XT appears to have always used male axles though, much like the 2.5XT did for the european market.

Ultimately it appears there was an overlap between the 2.5XT and 2.0XT. I can't specifically confirm whether my statement concerning the axle types is true or not though.

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Transmission and Driveline