Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2002 forester drain and fill

('01-'02) 
7K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Scoobywrxfozzy03 
#1 ·
I'm sure this as come up I tried the search but noting is there a DIY for manual trans dain and fill on here for the 2002 forester. Thanks

#2 ·
It's simple, I'll give you a quick write up here.

You need an appropriately sized socket (not sure which size it is anymore...)
A new gasket from the dealership (should be a felt on one side, then metal on the other)
3.7 Quarts of 75W-90 Gear oil with NO SLIP MODIFIER (highly important for smooth shifting). I won't preach about what brand gear oil to use here. You can search and research that for yourself, as there are many opinions on it.

It would probably be best to do this after a little bit of driving, so that the gear oil flows out better, and less of the old stuff gets left behind.

Remove the dip stick that is used to check the level (and used to add fluid at the end after draining). If you can't get the dipstick out, then you won't want to drain the transmission, as you won't be able to refill it!

Locate the transmission drain plug (located right behind where the exhaust headers form a Y intersection).

You many want to cover your exhaust with tin foil so that gear oil doesn't get on it, and then burn off when you start the car (it will be stinky if the fluid gets on the exhaust!).

Remove the transmission drain plug and let it drain for a while.

Take off the old gasket from the drain plug. If your fluid has never been changed, it might be a copper washer (which was superseded by the felt/metal gasket). Put the new one on. I did felt towards the drain plug, metal to the transmission and haven't had any leaks. I doubt that the orientation of the gasket matters.

Screw in the drain plug and torque to 32.5 Ft-lbs

Fill the transmission with gear oil. It helps to have a funnel with a straw attached to it to put in the dipstick hole. Pour in 3 quarts, then about half a quart. Place the dipstick back in, and drive the car a bit. Check the level (make sure to use the "Hot" markings), and add more if needed. Even though the transmission calls for 3.7 quarts, you rarely put that much in, because some of the old stuff is always left.

It's a quick and easy job to do. Easier than changing the oil.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.