Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2000 legacy outback transmission in 2000 impreza rs issues

('98-'00) 
2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  ivonko 
#1 ·
hey guys, sorry that the first thread im posting isnt even regarding foresters :( only problem is i need to get my rs-t back on the road before i can start putting money into the wifes car. here is my post from rs25, im really hoping maybe somebody on here might have some valuable insite for me?

hey guys, as some of you might already know my 2nd gear went out in my stock tranny last week, so i was desperate for a replacement, i found a 2000 legacy outback 5 speed transmission for sale on craigslist that same day for 250 dollars, the final drive is 411 which was exactly what i needed so i went and picked it up

installed it the next day, (took 3-4 hours, super simple swap), i left the clutch setup on the engine (07 wrx pressure plate, act stage 1 clutch, and act lightweight flywheel) as it didnt have any issues and didnt have to be swapped out so that wasnt a variable at all.

after the swap we had to bleed the clutch system.... 8 hours later clutch pedal finally goes in, everything is assembled, and the transmission doesnt want to go into 1st 3rd or 5th gears, all the upper gears, i decided to go ahead and test it anyway just to see if it drives, i popped it into reverse and it went into gear smooth as butter, reversed out to the road, put it into second to start off, then around 10 mph it began making a screeching grinding noise, difficult to explain, not a low pitch synchro grinding noise like you hear with a transmission normally,

i decided to check what the range of the noise was, the noise ended at around 20mph, i also checked to see if it would vanish in nuetral or while braking and it was there grinding away no matter what i did.

the transmission is still on the car at this moment and im really trying to figure out what could be wrong, it came from a running driving car that blew its headgaskets and was parted out by a shop as a result, it also came with a 30 day guarantee so i know the shop was pretty certain that it ran.

any ideas? please help cause i want the rs back on the road! sick of driving my brothers car. and want to put some of my money into the new fozzy :banana:

variables with my car compared to some others:
-has an aluminum driveshaft thats a lot thicker than the stock shaft so less clearance everywhere
-has an ebay shortshifter that did cause some issues at first with shifting in my obs then got better
-the ujoint on the transmission didnt match up perfectly with the shift linkage because the bolt was too wide so we ground the bolt down on the sides so it could fit.

a few tests im planning to run:
- going to plug in the stock shifter, possibly changing the angle of the linkage will allow at it go into the transmission easier
-going to jack the car up, put it onto 4 jack stands, secure it there, then run the throttle to see if i can replicate the sound and see where its coming from.

See less See more
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.