Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2.5 N/A 5spd Diff fluid

('06-'08) 
3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  urabusasnwonatas 
#1 ·
Hey all, getting ready to change all my driving lubes. Questions on what weights you all use and also which brands. Always been an amsoil fan but i'm hearing great things about Redline.

If i understand correctly my M/T and front diff share a reservoir? And i have also heard that with my LSD i shouldn't use full syn?

any help or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
The rear LSD is a VLSD(viscus limited slip diff). It is a sealed unit and doesn't care what fluid you have in there, conventional or synthetic are fine.

The center diff in the trans is also a VLSD/viscus center diff and again is a sealed unit. Run whatever you want. Though many will recommend staying away from a gear oil that has friction modifiers due to the synchros.

AMSOIL Severe Gear 75w90 in both my trans and rear diff for the past 60K, no issues.

#5 ·
Now that it's getting cold I'm planning on switching my 5MT fluid to Mobil1 75w90, since it's locally available. I noticed the LS on the bottle. The Mobil website doesn't seem to show GL5 oil without the friction modifiers anymore.

#6 ·
don't use LS in MT gearbox. cheap 75w90 dino oil will shift better than synthetic. some friction is required.

i now use Lubrication Engineers' 703 80w90. dino oil with additives.

others have used Swepco 201 and is the same idea as LE (popular among older porsche and vw crowd also).

the specialty 80w90 shifts fine unless you drive a lot in sub 20s winter weather.

i was not a gear oil aficionado until owning a subaru 5MT. :icon_frown: :biggrin:

stay away from redline lightweight shockproof mixes (tried it, aka "smurfblood") and "uncle scotty's cocktail" IMHO. it shifts like a dream at first and might be fine for racing with frequent changes but I have not seen anyone say they ran it for a long time with more reasonable 2 yr/ 30,000 mi changes.

#7 ·
Eneos 75W90 GL5 Full Synthetic. #1 in Japan. Used it in the manual trans and rear differential of my '09 about 1000 miles ago. Shifts pretty nice. Ordered online from Z1 Motorsports, five quarts $60 shipped. No LS friction modifiers.

JX Nippon Oil & Energy USA, Inc. | ENEOS Gear Oil

"ENEOS Gear Oil is recommended for use in bevel, spiral bevel and hypoid gear type differentials and in power dividers compatible with synchromesh ensures easy and smooth shifting even at very low temperatures."

#9 ·
was in tractor supply co over the weekend ... even their cheap gear oil now says OK for use in limited slip differentials (used to have the top-off only statement for LS use). had both GL5 and MT1 certifications. oils are constantly changing.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.