Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1998 bad shake/knocking only when giving gas

('98-'00) 
2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  kfergiez 
#1 ·
1998 forester begins to shake real bad in the steering wheel and can feel in the whole car and there is a knocking sound @ 25mph and gets worse the faster you go. They shaking and sound stops immediately when you let off the gas even though you might still be going at speed but starts as soon as you give it gas again. The right CV joint boot is ripped all the way around as has been that way for I don't know how long. Could the joint be the problem? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
The right CV joint boot is ripped all the way around as has been that way for I don't know how long. Could the joint be the problem?
I literally laughed out loud when I read this. No offense intended. Yes, you have a bad CV joint. You need to replace the entire CV shaft which is a fairly simple job to do. The boot keeps water and debris out of the joint, and lubrication in.
As soon as it's torn the joint has been compromised. Sometimes not very much if you catch it soon. But if yours has been torn for quite some time, and you have these symptoms, you've got a major issue. Live and learn.

Short trips in this car will not be pleasant, but may not be dangerous. Longer trips, (longer than 30 min) can be dangerous because that joint will heat up, and can weld, and possibly grenade which will leave you either out of control or stranded. Get it taken care of and you'll be golden.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.