Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

06 STI shifter on an SF?

('98-'00) 
1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  91Yota 
#1 ·
I hate to ask a searchable question, but for some reason at the moment my searching has come up with no clear answer.

I assume I can swap in an 06 STI shifter in my SF no problem. I also assume it'll give me a slightly shorter throw. I'm curious if I'm right for assuming this? Or are there any other things I NEED to make it work if it's worth it.

#2 · (Edited)
I don't know that the STi 6MT shifters are a direct fit for a 5spd transmission. All of the aftermarket short throws for the 6MT and the 5MT are different. That being said, the difference only looks to be an extra cable the 6MT trannys use that the 5pds don't.

As I've never tried it, I don't consider myself an expert on the 6spd shifters, but here are some links for reference:
Subaru STI Short Throw Shifter Impreza WRX STI | eBay
Subaru Impreza WRX 2005-2011 STI 5 Speed MT Short Throw Shifter - | eBay

I don't know why the second listing says "STi" as its for a 5speed, but that's eBay for you...

#4 ·
Thanks for the info guys! Great stuff that I'm actually going to save for later. Yea, it seems either way I go "shifter or full shifter assembly" it's just not going to work. Buddy of mine who works at a shop also mentioned that even if I got a WRX shfiter, it probably wouldn't make much difference and I might as well get an aftermarket shifter.

Figured if I could get something cheap now, why not. Otherwise this is at the bottom of my list of "To Do's"

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.