Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2004 - XT - Auto to manual swap?

('03-'05) 
33K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  2.5x_sleeper 
#1 ·
curious about the steps necessary to swap in a 04 fxt 5 speed into a 04 fxt equipped with an auto. Searched for thread didnt find one. new to foresters but not scoobs. have 04 fxt 5 speed with trans mount, 4 cv axles, center drive shaft, fxt rear vlsd,

basics im assuming
  • swap in pedal box with clutch pedal, slave cylinder and reservoir.
  • some type of rewiring,(just not sure specifically for the 04FXT what to do
  • wondering about speedo sending unit on the 04 FXT auto and manual, plug and play or not.
  • swap in flywheel swap trans, remove trans fluid cooler, 0
  • have a wrx shifter with the Kartboy short shifter with bushing combo, with the rear stay bushing(have to remove rubber grommet )
  • have 5 speed center drive shaft, swap it
  • i am assuming the 4 cv axles and rear vlsd are the same but if not i have them
  • not sure if the auto and manual share the same starter, assuming they are different,
  • have a sti trans mount for a manual,

i guess some guys are wondering why do it, just my preference, even the pickups i owned were manuals
thanxs in advance.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hi,
After having my '04 FXT w/the 4EAT, I wish it would've been a 5-speed...so understand Why you'd do this.

Add to your list:
. 04 STi or '04 FXT MANUAL ECU >>>>Edit:(see below)not needed

Issues I see and you'll need to research:
The STi trans mount is different and may cause grief - search for posts by 'fraktal' (hasn't been on here for months) - he upgraded to a 6-speed from a 5, but may have some things to watch for, and 'Team Scream' (also MIA). He started a swap and never finished.

-Rear diffs are both 4.44 'til '06 - I believe- so you're good there.... although part numbers are different on 'opposedforces.com'.
-Starters are different, from what I've read.
-AT Trans fluid cooler is built into the Radiator - unless yours is aftermarket - you'll need to drain the radiator and cap those hard lines.
- Need the master AND slave cylinders for the clutch, correct?
- Clutch/Pressure plate/throw out bearing/shift fork/? (I'm more familiar w/the PUSH-type clutches so PULL-may be different if this is a '02-'05 Turbo clutch - I think all the non-turbos are PUSH from since the Legacy came out in '90?)
- Wiring - you'll need the neutral switch wired in - @ least.
- ABS ? I've read you may need to change something - either the pump or ABS computer?
- I had a link @ one time for an '04 FXT 4EAT w/a 6-speed swap....I'll see if I can dig it up...(need to get back to work now!)

GL,
Td

#3 ·
I just (July) did an auto to 6MT swap in my '04 FXT. I'm from NJ too. When you start doing it and have questions, hit me up. I'm eventually going to post everything on my site, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Some things I remember/that you may need to know:

I believe since you are swapping just the transmission, you need to use the 5MT transmission mount. You need the manual starter. The speed sensor will not plug in at all. Try to get the 6MT speed sensor with pigtail on it. It has to be ran directly to the cluster and ecu, NOT using the factory wiring. Be ready to do some wiring if you want the clutch pedal switch to work to start the car. For ABS to work, you have to either leave the auto TCU attached, or get a manual ABS pump/computer. To make the reverse lights work, neutral safety switch work and clutch pedal switch work, you need to run some wiring from the bulkhead harness into the car, and wire up 1 relay. OBD2 port needs one wire ran from the ecu to the port, otherwise you will have issues. You do NOT need a manual FXT ECU nor STi ecu. Auto ecu will run the FXT fine with no CEL's as long as TCU stays in.

#7 ·
Try to get the 6MT speed sensor with pigtail on it. It has to be ran directly to the cluster and ecu, NOT using the factory wiring.
does it have to be a 6 speed speed sensor? None of the five speed speed sensors are electrical vs cable driven? Also, can I swap the speed sensor gear in order to match the 4.44 ratio?

#4 ·
#5 ·
STi radiator won't work. The upper hose, where it goes into the radiator, is totally different. Also, the STi radiator has a bulge on one side, with the radiator cap, where as the FXT does not have the radiator cap on the radiator (or vise versa, I don't remember). Anyway, it just won't fit. I tried, as I had a 2006 STi donor parts car. Tried to put as much of the STi into the FXT, and the radiator just wasn't happening. Capping the metal nipples on the auto FXT's radiator isn't a lot of work.

I am currently looking for ways around the auto TCU. I'm told if u run a manual ABS pump and connector, u can pull out the TCU. I will not swap ABS pumps, but if I can swap the electronics portion of it an make it work, I may. If that doesn't work, I will try to find the wiring schematics for the TCU and try to make something happen.

#6 ·
i think it was mentioned to me before when i considered putting the sti radiator on my 94 touring wagon. I believe you when you say it wont work, but i will take a look and see anyway lol. Can i get my hands on the radiator caps from the dealer?

let me know what you come up with on the tcu?

is the abs pump electronics from a 5 speed wrx the same as on the fxt?

#8 ·
9900rpm; said:
I am currently looking for ways around the auto TCU. I'm told if u run a manual ABS pump and connector, u can pull out the TCU. I will not swap ABS pumps, but if I can swap the electronics portion of it an make it work, I may. If that doesn't work, I will try to find the wiring schematics for the TCU and try to make something happen.
any updates?

#10 ·
@SG6.616 who is your question for? Note that the OP last signed onto the forum 8 years ago.

Also, second request...
Please complete your "Public Profile" ► add your vehicle details! ◄
Bobby...

['07 FSXT Member Journal] ['03 X Member Journal]

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.