Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

04/05 Forester XT Trans swap - immobilizer?

('03-'05) 
4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  amorgan93 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 (Manufactured in 03, labeled 2004) Forester XT 4eat, has a cracked front differential casing and messed up front differential. Ive been searching for another transmission for about 4 months, and today found a 2005 Forester XT being parted out. I know the 2004 did NOT come with an immobilizer, while the 2005 had the immobilizer standard. Every search has led me to people swapping transmissions into cars that are equipped with the immobilizer, so they don't apply to me. Will an 05 transmission work in my 04 XT that does not have the immobilizer feature? Is the transmission different on a XT equipped with the immobilizer? What about 06+ 4eats? Thanks a bunch

#3 ·
Thats great news, thank you! I think i read somewhere that the 05 transmission was a bit stronger up front? or revised or something? I was reading about front differential case cracking and there was a comment that was something like "happens more to 04s than 05s" or something similar. Any information on this myth of the trans being "revised" or stronger or anything for 05? I also found an 04 Xt trans with 83k miles on Ebay. Cant decide to pursue the 05 parts car (would require pulling the trans from) or go with the 04 trans on ebay (already pulled from car).

#4 ·
UPDATE: Emailed seller about the ebay 83k mile trans, bought it outside ebay and drove to Georgia to pick it up. Trans works great, shifts faster than the original trans, and hopefully will have a long life with the Long-Tru Cool trans cooler.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.