Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

'02 1st gear clutch in is rough

('01-'02) 
983 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  xwright 
#1 ·
Hey all,

So I recently got an 02 Forester L 5MT w/ 110k miles and ALL the service records.

When I rev up 1st gear and clutch in (usually at around 2300+ RPMs), it usually makes a really nasty noise as if I had been accelerating hard while clutching in at the same time. Then there is some noise in the rear of some shuddering, not sure if this is the tranny back there?

Does anyone know what this is?

The engine on this car is AWESOME but I'm not too excited about the transmission unfortunately. Had an 02' Audi TT previously and it was a lot smoother.

Thanks,
Alex

#4 ·
He was saying he was in 1st gear, accelerated to 2300 RPMS in gear, and pushed in the clutch.

Your answer: It is the rear differential and the soft butter like bushings it is attached to.

I used some window weld to fix the two bushings in the subframe, and will get some karrboy outrigger bushings to help with the problem. The window weld has greatly reduced this event, and it rarely happens any more. It is very easy to do. Other things you can do is change your transmission bushing, and transmission crossmember bushings too. But with the difference just the window weld made, that might be the only thing you will want to do.

Window Weld

#5 ·
Thank you sir, I'll check that out.

Sorry for not making my post clear to the first two fellows.

EDIT: Is the Window Weld a permanent solution? As in, if I put it on there will it be ridiculously hard to take off if I ever decide to replace the bushing altogether?

#6 ·
It should peel off. I got a little overzealous and got it on some other parts of the car and just peeled it off. It is very similar to liquid rubbers that dry, and can just be pulled off, much like plastidip. It will glue itself to the rubber, but it won't bond, so you should have no problem.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.