'00 Fozzy, clutch slips sometimes, but clutch and slave were replaced... what up? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: None
Car Model: Cars are evil!
Transmission: None
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question '00 Fozzy, clutch slips sometimes, but clutch and slave were replaced... what up?

ok, so I thought my clutch was dying, as it started slipping a lot, but not always...

better safe than sorry I replaced the clutch... still slipping sometimes...

replaced the slave... still slipping sometimes...

each time something was replaced it seemed to do it less and less...

but it's still doing it!

the pedal feels fine... was a little "off" before replacing the clutch and slave... "off" meaning that it didn't feel as good as the '98 Imp after its clutch replacement, but now it feels "normal"...

I've tried pumping the clutch pedal to see if that will release its grip on the clutch and let it fully engage but that doesn't seem to help...

I've always just had to wait until it decided to start working again, which was usually overnight but was sometimes on the trip home halfway down the highway...

what's the deal?

should I replace the master to see if that's it?

is there something in the linkage that could be catching?

--Spiffy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

went out today and it's still stuck and slipping... maybe because it's still a bit cold here... I don't remember temperature making a difference before, but then again maybe because it's been fairly warm is why it hasn't been slipping lately... but it was driven a few miles yesterday and fully warmed up and the clutch was still slipping...

any ideas?

--Spiffy
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2008, 04:49 PM

Car Year: '98
Car Model: Forester
Make sure you can push the slave cylinder back by hand, push the fork against the slave so the cylinder slides back into the bore ... if you cant then the master cylinder adjustment is to tight and that will cause the clutch to stay engaged a bit , causing it to slip and wear quickly !! Only other would be something not done right on the clutch job ...!

Shawn

'98 L
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2008, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

pushing the fork back towards the slave resulted in a little movement... as if the master was pushing back on it... the pedal adjustment wasn't tight enough to even create tension on the rod/pin... and I was still able to bleed the system normally...

didn't seem like there was any room left for the fork to return, like it was sitting on the bell housing or something... thought for sure something was going to be wrong internally...

replaced the master cylinder and it seems to be working fine for now...

--Spiffy
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

it's acting up again...

everything has been replaced...

what could still be causing it?

"something not done right on the clutch job" doesn't seem to be the answer, since it was doing it before and after... unless there's something that doesn't come in a clutch kit that might still need replacing...

I'm not looking forward to pulling the engine out just to see if something is amiss...

--Spiffy
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

just talked to my old mechanic in Portland Oregon (Richie @ Superior Import) who said there was a service bulletin on the soft hose between the master and slave... didn't replace that because it was on back-order...

being in Wisconsin now I'm going to miss the plethora of subaru knowledge in the northwest... ): good thing for the internet...

ordering and replacing it... hopefully that'll solve it...

--Spiffy
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1998
Car Model: Forester L 5MT
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy View Post
didn't seem like there was any room left for the fork to return, like it was sitting on the bell housing or something... thought for sure something was going to be wrong internally...
Would not that be you answer, then? Remove the fork boot and and the the plug on the right/top side of the bell housing, use a flashlight to look inside. A bit messy. but might provide some insight into the problem before you have to pull the engine/tranny.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

soft line replaced, problem persists...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau137 View Post
Remove the fork boot and and the the plug on the right/top side of the bell housing, use a flashlight to look inside.
yeah, I'll see if I can spot anything...

all I can think is that maybe the shaft is marred that everything slides on, causing it to catch and not release the clutch fully... this would explain why it only does it sometimes... however, I'm not sure if that's something that can easily be replaced...

I'll probably have a shop/dealer take the tranny out because I'm really lazy in cold weather... just tired of trying to fix this issue...

anybody got a diagram handy of the working inside the bell housing? I'm guessing it's like any other clutch mechanism...

--Spiffy
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 08:27 PM
Forum Member

Gallery: 1
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
what brand/type of clutch kit? original flywheel? how many times has it been machined?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2008, 05:47 AM

Car Year: 99
Car Model: legacy
Make sure the clutch pedal moves freely and the spring brings it back high
enough to leave some play between it and the master cylinder.

The master must come all the way out unload the slave completely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Transmission and Driveline

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.