Wrong Transmission Fluid - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2009, 05:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Car Year: 07
Car Model: Forster
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Wrong Transmission Fluid

I am a horrible mistake -I was running short on time and took my beloved Forster to a "discount" retail store with an automotive section to "just" have the oiled changed. Changing the oil isn't rocket science, or atleast I didn't think it was.

So to make a long story short, a new tech accidently drained my transmission fulid, the issue comes is that they used the wrong transmission fluid to fill it back up. I drove my Forster 4 miles down the road discovered it was stalling, there was no power, the gears were not smooth turned around and drove back.

Now my car is waiting for a "local" tramission mechanic to come in to look at my car. The closest dealer is 100 miles away.

Any advice on what damage this might have done to the transmission?
PhDChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2009, 03:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: 2.5X
Gallery: 99

I don't see what damage could have resulted in that short of time unless they put the wrong amount in. Like did they run it dry. This happens all of the time with these idiots.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: FXT - Touring
Transmission: Hi Torque CVT
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

While they were busy draining the transmission fluid, did anyone check to see if the guy working topside still poured in 5 qts of oil?

The normal drain on our AT's is about 1/3 of the fluid, so a four mile trip shouldn't have done any damage even if they didn't put anything in. Don't know your MY but the manual says Dexron III is okay for short term emergency use, but shouldn't make the car stall.

If possible you might want to check the dipstick's oil and ATF yourself just to see what's really in there, level wise.

Please keep us posted on how it works out.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester X Premium
Gallery: 40

Id make sure they didn't overfill the engine with oil, because something doesn't sound right with the stalling and such . Id also insist that they flatbed your car to the Subaru dealer and have them sort it out, and send the bill to this so called "discount" retail store.

Respect The Wagon!
TC2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: FSXT Auto / FSTI
Transmission: 4EAT / 6 MT
Gallery: 2
Feedback Score: 60 reviews

If the dealer or shop messed up, have them pay for the cost of the car to go to a real subaru mechanic and have them repair it correctly.
2010 Forester X - Sold-The Green Goblin
Tuned200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

It has been a nightmare! In order to have my Forster towed to St Louis - 100 miles aways where I bought my car, I have had to file a claim with the store's insurance company. The local store is only able to spend $350 to "fix" my car, so they wre not willing to have it towed to St Louis to the dealership.

NOW the insurance company has me in limbo until they decide who is at fault. I will only be payback for a rental car, towing my car to St Louis, and the dealership's repair bill if the store is at fault. Right now my car is sitting at a local mechanic's shop where the store towed it to try and "fix" it by just adding more transmission fuild and see what would happen.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Seventh Sister
Administrator

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: 4EAT
Gallery: 70
Feedback Score: 49 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC2000 View Post
Id make sure they didn't overfill the engine with oil,
I second this... What happens with these quick lube places is, they drain the trans fluid thinking it's the oil, and then proceed to "refill" the engine oil. Check your oil level and make sure you don't have twice the normal amount in there...
pleiad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 4eat
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

Make sure your mechanic knows where all the dipsticks are, what they are all for, and which plugs on the bottom go with what. If you have an automatic, there's a good chance that transmission fluid was never put back into the right place, which would explain why the car was stalling.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Gallery: 40

Quote:
NOW the insurance company has me in limbo until they decide who is at fault. I will only be payback for a rental car, towing my car to St Louis, and the dealership's repair bill if the store is at fault.
Who the heck else's fault would it be! Id be on the phone with the Insurance company telling them politely that if they don't take care of this immediately as in today, the next call they'll be getting is from your lawyer. Id aslo mention that you thinking about contacting the local news agency to report how your being given the run around after their little mishap.

Respect The Wagon!

Last edited by TC2000; 08-19-2009 at 07:01 AM.
TC2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 05
Car Model: XSsss..
Feedback Score: 32 reviews

Hmm ok didn't Subaru change the tranny drain bolt to a T70 to prevent this? And shops are STILL doing it... nice. Now we need to laser etch and paint the bolt to say "TRANSMISSION (you dumba$$)."

I'm wondering if the insurance company is putting you at partial fault for not checking the fluids after they did the work.. which is kind of ridiculous since people trust these shops to do the work without mistakes, but sadly, that's rarely the case.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: FXT - Touring
Transmission: Hi Torque CVT
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshi View Post
Hmm ok didn't Subaru change the tranny drain bolt to a T70 to prevent this? And shops are STILL doing it... nice. Now we need to laser etch and paint the bolt to say "TRANSMISSION (you dumba$$)."

I'm wondering if the insurance company is putting you at partial fault for not checking the fluids after they did the work.. which is kind of ridiculous since people trust these shops to do the work without mistakes, but sadly, that's rarely the case.
The front diff plug is the T70, the transmission pan bolt is the same 17mm as the oil pan.

It would bite if they filled the front diff with ATF.....
Old 08-19-2009, 09:31 AM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 05
Car Model: XSsss..
Feedback Score: 32 reviews

right on our 4EATs it's that way, and so is the 5MT for 03-05 UNLESS they've been bringing it to the dealer, since the dealers are supposedly changing the 17mm to T-70. 06+ 5MT is all T-70 (at least, it's this way for all imprezas, not sure about our foresters) and she's driving a 07. that's my understanding. i'm also assuming her is a 5MT though.

Here's a pic of one case:

Last edited by neoshi; 08-19-2009 at 03:58 PM.
neoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: 2.5X
Gallery: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoshi View Post
right on our 4EATs it's that way, and so is the 5MT for 03-05 UNLESS they've been bringing it to the dealer, since the dealers are supposedly changing the 17mm to T-70. 06+ 5MT is all T-70 (at least, it's this way for all imprezas, not sure about our foresters) and she's driving a 07. that's my understanding. i'm also assuming her is a 5MT though.

I think I am going to search out a T70 bolt
Old 08-19-2009, 11:09 AM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010

Any updates?
snajper69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:08 PM   #15 (permalink)

Finally "Jack" from the insurance company called me and told me that the store was indeed at fault. For the draining the transmission fluid,refilling it with the wrong transmission fluid, and OVERFILLING my oil - the oil overfilling was "news" to me.

Once he found out how far my car would need to be towed 100 miles, he tried to convince me have this mechanic in town look at my car. Finally I had to tell he, that my car is not quite 3 years old only has 47,000 miles, if this was my mistake then might consider using this guy in town, but it isn't it is X-Mart's mistake and I want my car towed to the dealership. Take your pick - St Louis 100 miles away, Columbia 100 miles away, or Springfield 100 miles away.

So tomorrow my car is suppose to be on it's way to the dealership in St Louis where I bought my car. I have already put a call into the dealership because I would like to know when it arrives and what kind of condidtion it is in.

I always double check fluilds regardless of where I get an oil change, when I get home. I had a 1988 Honda Accord that ONLY took 3 to 3.5 quarts of oil, I would always tell the mechanic's this and about 50% of the time I was bringing my car back to have oil removed.

Last edited by PhDChick; 08-19-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty