Wrong oil filter? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: 2.5 X
Exclamation Wrong oil filter?

I really hope I'm wrong. If I'm right, this dealer is just about as bad as you can get with parts.

I have a 2011 2.5X (non-turbo) Forester. The parts numbers listed for the oil filter in my owner's manual are the following:

Turbo models
Black 15208AA100
Blue 15208AA12A

Non-turbo models
Black 15208AA130

I was given the filter A12A which is for the Turbo Forester, and is much smaller than the filter that I was replacing (the one that came with the vehicle originally.)

I just want to make sure I am correct in that I received the wrong oil filter before I go to the dealer. I asked the guy 3 times if it was for the non-turbo 4-cylinder Forester. Each time he said yes. Apparently, each time he was either knowingly wrong or unknowingly wrong.

I wouldn't care that much but this is about the 5th thing that this dealer has screwed up.

Please let me know as soon as possible! :D

Oh, and Happy Valentines' Day for those of you who celebrate!

sleepyt

2011 Forester 2.5x - Steel Silver - Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Also, how much oil is supposed to go in when you replace the filter? I've read a couple different things on this site regarding errors in the owner's manual. My manual says 5.5 quarts. The guy at the oil change place said it was supposed to be 5 quarts.

The Forester is running really sluggish since the oil change. I used 0w-20 Mobil One oil and the "correct" filter from Subaru.

Would too much oil and/or the wrong filter cause this?

Thanks!

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 06:40 AM
The Modfather

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Legacy 3.6R Limited
Transmission: 5EAT
Edit:

It us to be that the smaller filter that goes on the Turbo is fine on the NA, in fact it the smaller filter actually has more filtering capacity. It's the media the filter is made out of not the size of the filter.

Info here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/oil-change-guide-t3014.html

However with the new motor on the 2011's it seems that there is a new oil filter called for like you say, I do not know the difference yet though and I'm not sure there is one. At this point though we have to assume there is. It's kind of too new to tell.

As for oil amount I usually put in 5 quarts then check the level when cold and add more till it reaches the full line. Scoobies are tricky to read though. If it does indeed require 5.5 quarts putting in 5 won't really harm anything it's just not optimum. The sluggishness may be psychosomatic :)

Peaty

2010 Leg 3.6 R, 2013 OB, 2001 OB, 2001 Forester S and 1999 Miata

Last edited by Peaty; 02-14-2011 at 06:51 AM. Reason: new info
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaty View Post
Edit:

It us to be that the smaller filter that goes on the Turbo is fine on the NA, in fact it the smaller filter actually has more filtering capacity. It's the media the filter is made out of not the size of the filter.

Info here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/oil-change-guide-t3014.html

However with the new motor on the 2011's it seems that there is a new oil filter called for like you say, I do not know the difference yet though and I'm not sure there is one. At this point though we have to assume there is. It's kind of too new to tell.

As for oil amount I usually put in 5 quarts then check the level when cold and add more till it reaches the full line. Scoobies are tricky to read though. If it does indeed require 5.5 quarts putting in 5 won't really harm anything it's just not optimum. The sluggishness may be psychosomatic :)
All I know is that when the tech pulled the old filter out of the engine, it was much larger than the new one. I'm a little skeptical of the parts department of this dealership. I really, really question whether or not they checked the part. If it's between the dealer and the owner's manual, I'm going with the owner's manual. It clearly shows the part number for the N/A and turbo; and the dealer gave me the filter for the turbo instead of the N/A.

Edit: When I say larger, I don't mean taller. I mean a larger diameter. It took up the entire area where the filter sits, whereas this new filter does not.

Last edited by sleepyt23; 02-14-2011 at 07:25 AM. Reason: clarification
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 07:44 AM
The Modfather

Car Model: Legacy 3.6R Limited
Transmission: 5EAT
Back in the day before there was a turbo Impreza/forester motor here there was one filter and it was 80mm in diameter. Then when they introduced the turbo motor here in the Impreza they fit the same 80mm filter on there. They later discovered that the way the turbo's exhaust manifold was designed, the filter was so close that during extended idle times, the oil would get cooked. Because of that in 04 they started specifying a smaller filter, it was 68mm and shorter too. That gave the proper clearance to prevent the oil from getting overheated in the filter. At that time the NA filter was white and the turbo one was black. Since all things were pretty much equal, later Subaru said to simplify things just use the small one on both the NA and Turbo motor. So in reality since there was room you cold use both the larger and smaller diameter filter on the NA motor but not the larger one on the Turbo. Like I said the smaller one did actually have more filtering capacity so it was all good. Since then they have gone through a few different suppliers the latest being Honeywell (AKA Fram) or the blue version. So it's kind of hard to say if they have once again gone to another vendor with a different looking filter using the same specs or it is indeed (due to the new motor design) a whole new filter set of specs and filter. Until we hear otherwise it's of course best to go with the OEM specified filter for the 2011 as you are saying.

Peaty

2010 Leg 3.6 R, 2013 OB, 2001 OB, 2001 Forester S and 1999 Miata
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaty View Post
Until we hear otherwise it's of course best to go with the OEM specified filter for the 2011 as you are saying.
So do you think I should make the trip back to the dealer to explain to them they gave me the incorrect filter? It's pretty easy to see that they did give me the wrong one. Whether or not it will still work properly is extraneous information. Between what's specified in the manual and what they actually gave me, the numbers do not match.

Last edited by sleepyt23; 02-14-2011 at 08:21 AM. Reason: bungled code
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 08:30 AM

Car Model: Forester Premium
Danger - 15208AA12A are for the older engine. 2011's do not use the A12's.
See the note here -

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/p...oducts_id=1688

2010 Forester Premium 5MT Sage Green
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

San Antonio! I knew they gave me the wrong part! Bastages!

Well, that's the last time I go to the local dealer. Alderson Subaru in Lubbock - stay away from them.

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

I just got off of the phone with the parts department at the dealer. He again swore up and down that the one he gave me on Friday was the correct filter. I had him look up the correct part number from my owner's manual (15208AA130) and to tell me what he found. Sure enough, it's the correct filter. He said their updated catalog was wrong.

Let's see if they give it to me for free or not. I should start a poll...

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Alderson Subaru f_cked up AGAIN. Three times in a row. At least I got to ring someone's neck at the parts department. They gave me the oil filter for a Turbo engine after I specifically asked him to double check it when he handed it to me. Shows me to trust them after they botched their other attempts at ordering correct parts. I pulled out the owner's manual that says which part number the oil filter is for the turbo and non-turbo models. He still didn't get it. I don't think I broke my stare at him for 5 minutes. I finally was able to get the new, correct filter and leave. That's the last time I'm going there. I let him and the other 3 workers know it.

The new one is a black Tokyo Roki or something like that; the same that came with the car 2 months ago.

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 11:38 AM
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: 2.5X
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyt23 View Post
The new one is a black Tokyo Roki or something like that; the same that came with the car 2 months ago.
Forget that one.

Quote:
I don't think I broke my stare at him for 5 minutes. I finally was able to get the new, correct filter and leave. That's the last time I'm going there. I let him and the other 3 workers know it.
And personally I think you went over the top with dealing with these folks. Just my opinion. That's exactly why this world sucks.

Be careful what you wish for.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Forget that one.
Forget that one even though my owner's manual states otherwise? Forget that one even though this dealership has ordered the wrong part two times before? Forget that one even though this dealership put about ten scratches on my hatch trying to remove the license plate bolts? I don't think so.

Quote:
And personally I think you went over the top with dealing with these folks. Just my opinion. That's exactly why this world sucks.
Unless you were one of the people that worked there, you don't know what happened or how I was speaking to them. In this case, your personal opinion doesn't amount to much. I've tried to deal with this business at least three times before in the past two months. Every single time, without fail, they have grossly underperformed.

You think this world sucks because I expect some sort of minimum amount of comprehension or of checking your work? I'm an engineer. I have to check my work all of the time. If I don't, not only will it cost my client money, it could also cost some person their life. I know that this isn't on the same level, but they should at least have the common sense to double check the part number, model year, model, etc. That's what keeps customers coming back. One time is a fluke. Three times in a row is just inexcusable in my book.

That is why the world sucks. No one takes pride in what they do anymore; even if it is just selling parts at a dealership.

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 12:06 PM

Car Model: Forester Premium
You should have taken the issue to the service manager at least. The filter they gave you probably would have fit...

The Tokyo Riki's are a very high qualtiy filter. The older engine intiially used this maker until they went to the cheaper Honeywell/Fram blue unit.

2010 Forester Premium 5MT Sage Green
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 12:45 PM
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: XT Sport
Transmission: 5MT
Garage
Quote:
Unless you were one of the people that worked there, you don't know what happened or how I was speaking to them. In this case, your personal opinion doesn't amount to much. I've tried to deal with this business at least three times before in the past two months. Every single time, without fail, they have grossly underperformed.

You think this world sucks because I expect some sort of minimum amount of comprehension or of checking your work? I'm an engineer. I have to check my work all of the time. If I don't, not only will it cost my client money, it could also cost some person their life. I know that this isn't on the same level, but they should at least have the common sense to double check the part number, model year, model, etc. That's what keeps customers coming back. One time is a fluke. Three times in a row is just inexcusable in my book.
please calm down... a lot of us are also engineers, and with that we also have to conduct ourselves with a little professionalism.
Let's just agree that their parts advisor really dropped the ball and move along. I've had my fair share of poor dealership experiences, mine took out a perfectly good transmission, but we still have to refrain from being that guy they always hate dealing with... you know the type.

I wouldn't recommend "bashing" the dealership, but instead just post a poor review on the forum and politely advise people that they're best to avoid their parts department in the future.

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 12:56 PM
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: 2.5X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderotomy View Post
please calm down... a lot of us are also engineers, and with that we also have to conduct ourselves with a little professionalism. .
Yea..that's all I was saying.

Quote:
Forget that one even though my owner's manual states otherwise? .
My point was that the Roki Filter is not available in the U.S anymore.

Be careful what you wish for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.