('98-'00) wiring diagram for fuel pump electrical connector? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default wiring diagram for fuel pump electrical connector?

Hi yall,

I have a 1998 forester. My car won't start because the the engine is currently not receiving any gas. No pressure is leading to the fuel filter. I checked the fuel pump relay, and it works. Next, I unplugged the fuel pump to make sure that the fuel pump was getting power. However, there are six wires in plastic wiring connection attaching to the fuel pump. I know that two are for the fuel guage, and at least two are for the fuel pump. What are the other two for? Which wires should I check for continuity?

The wiring connection consists of six wires organized in a top and a bottom row of three. When looking at the female side with the clip orientated on top, the middle connection on the top row, the left connection on the bottom row, and the middle connection on the bottom row all proved to be continuous. The voltmeter beeped when I was touching the terminals to any two of those three wires. Does this mean that I have a short somewhere?
soccersmitty55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccersmitty55 View Post
Hi yall,

I have a 1998 forester. My car won't start because the the engine is currently not receiving any gas. No pressure is leading to the fuel filter. I checked the fuel pump relay, and it works. Next, I unplugged the fuel pump to make sure that the fuel pump was getting power. However, there are six wires in plastic wiring connection attaching to the fuel pump. I know that two are for the fuel guage, and at least two are for the fuel pump. What are the other two for? Which wires should I check for continuity?

The wiring connection consists of six wires organized in a top and a bottom row of three. When looking at the female side with the clip orientated on top, the middle connection on the top row, the left connection on the bottom row, and the middle connection on the bottom row all proved to be continuous. The voltmeter beeped when I was touching the terminals to any two of those three wires. Does this mean that I have a short somewhere?
I was looking at a wiring diagram for a '99 and it showed that the fuel pump/gauge was the center wire, bottom row, with the key clip on top. BTW, it looked like the pump is powered via the ECU. Sorry I don't have more info for you.

Regards,
paul...
Old 01-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulv View Post
I was looking at a wiring diagram for a '99 and it showed that the fuel pump/gauge was the center wire, bottom row, with the key clip on top.
What do you mean by key clip? And where could you find that? I look for a couple hours and didn't find anything.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 1998
Car Model: Forester S
Transmission: 6 Speed
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Underneath the rear seat on the passenger side there should be a single connector with two larger gauge wires in it. The colors are Black and Black with Red stripe. The black is chassis ground and the other is 12 volts from the fuel pump relay. With the key on it should get 12 volts for 2 seconds then open until the car is cranking.

If the wire has power than the fuel pump is likely dead. If the wire has no power the relay is dead or the ecu is not telling it to turn on.

I would start there and post the results.

Here is a picture of me holding the connector on my old RS. Should be the same on the forester.

Brydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 1999
Car Model: S
Transmission: Auto
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

We may be troubleshooting the same problem...

My fuel pump works when powered by 12v battery, my fuel pump relay is fine. With a tester, I get voltage sometimes depending on how I hold the male end of the R58 connector. So for me, it has to be in that white male harness. I ordered a replacement harness from Jackie, should arrive today or tomorrow. I checked the '99 wiring diagram and it only lists the pump and gauge going through that connector. Let me know if you have questions or suggestions. I'm not an electrician so this is new territory for my mechanic skills. There are about 5 of us currently chasing fuel pump wiring issues on our SFs.

slanidracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Member

I found those wires, and they weren't getting any power.

However, then I realized that my battery didn't have much juice in it. My problems began a few days ago when my car wouldnt start. The battery was dead, so I hooked up the jumper cables to another car for a good 20-30 minutes, but it still wouldn't start. The engine turned over, but there was no pressure from the fuel line going into the fuel filter. I had assumed something was wrong with my fuel pump. However, this afternoon, as I was thinking, I knew that a fuel pump requires a lot of power. I thought that maybe I should fully charge the battery and try starting the engine before assuming something is wrong with the ecu. Sure enough, I hooked up the battery to a 6 Amp charger for a few hours, and it started right away. The battery had died a few times in the past month, as well so I guess it is time for a new one.

Thanks for the help, guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty