weak battery/alternator problems on 2009 Forester? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default weak battery/alternator problems on 2009 Forester?

battery dies after a few hours of dome light being left on. I don't know if the car comes equiped with a cheapo battery, if the car has a known alternator problem or I'm just not checking something. I've always left lights on, door ajar, trunk open, forgot to wear pants to work, or left the dome light on many times in several other cars and if the battery was not approaching an anticipated death after 5-7 years then I would expect the battery to last at least overnight and still start the car. Not this one. Dome light killed it and tailgate doesn't close smoothly leaving the rear light on. Both drain the battery overnight. If I don't start it one day, it has a hard time cranking and might not start the next. Is this a known problem? I'm mechanically challenged; what should I go over before checking with the dealer asking for warranty work?
etelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2009, 10:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 4eat
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

The stock battery is not very good at holding a charge. You can turn off your dome lights or replace the battery with an Optima.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester XT Limited
Gallery: 1

My 09XT is having similar issues...if it sits for any period of time with either dome light or other accessories on it's questionable if it will have enough power to start the engine. Looking at the replacement choices...I hear the Optima is good, but does it bolt in without special adapters? shape seems like it's not a drop in replacement.
I'm measuring 12.1 with a meter with engine off, running I read 14.3 which makes me believe the alternator is good but the battery is starting to fade. Suggestions on batteries please.
Also - I have a battery charger (Sears) that has 2amp, 10amp and 50amp (starting) modes. Should a new battery be charged overnight for some time and if so which setting ? 10amp mode seems to make batteries bubble a little too much...but in the manual is states that 2amp mode can actually hurt large batteries.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
dpm
Forum Member

Car Model: XC diesel
Transmission: 6mt

might be worth charging the current battery first and re-trying.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

dpm - agreed i'm going to let it sit all day tomorrow on the charger...last week I charged it on 2amp mode for a full day, but it still seemed taxed starting even after a 90min drive
Old 01-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Seventh Sister
Administrator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: 4EAT
Gallery: 70
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 49 reviews

I'd steer anyone away from Optima at this point. Horrible QC since they moved production to Mexico. After going through 4 of them in the past 3 years (for both of our cars) - which I find unacceptable, especially given their premium price - I will never buy another one. Interstate for me from now on.
pleiad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Replaced mine with a Carquest Severe Service 84 battery yesterday...back to a zippy start again..
Old 01-29-2012, 08:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: Forester X Prem AWP
Transmission: 5MT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by etelek View Post
battery dies after a few hours of dome light being left on. I don't know if the car comes equiped with a cheapo battery, if the car has a known alternator problem or I'm just not checking something. I've always left lights on, door ajar, trunk open, forgot to wear pants to work, or left the dome light on many times in several other cars and if the battery was not approaching an anticipated death after 5-7 years then I would expect the battery to last at least overnight and still start the car. Not this one. Dome light killed it and tailgate doesn't close smoothly leaving the rear light on. Both drain the battery overnight. If I don't start it one day, it has a hard time cranking and might not start the next. Is this a known problem? I'm mechanically challenged; what should I go over before checking with the dealer asking for warranty work?
Your '09's basic warranty covers just about everything for 3 years or 36K miles, whichever comes first. If the car is still covered, then I suggest taking it to a dealer for warranty replacement, repairs, and/or adjustments.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer
Old 01-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Forester X-Premium
Transmission: 5-MT
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

The stock 2011 battery is a ~~350CCA/48AH battery.. I've had same issues.

I ran the battery down to 60% charge while idling in a parking lot during snowstorm.. waiting on someone grocery shopping.

I also had the rear light on for 2 hours and it drained the battery about 30% according to my meter.(although I dont know if it was at 100% before that obiviously)

It also starts really slow at 0F in the morning... like 1/3 speed starter and inside lights flickering off.

not sure why they put a 350CCA/48AH battery in these cars with a list of electronic gear longer than my arm.

Hell my old car I'd go out on break and put the heated seat on radio etc.. never any problem.. I wouldnt dare do that in this one (with car off)

I have a decent/good smart charger and I've been putting mine on about once a week or so to make sure its 100%

Its also not helped by the fact that 3/4 my driving during week is 6miles one way park for 8-10 hours.. repeat.

Its under warranty so I wont be upgrading but its mighty tempting to drop a 600~~CCA ~~96AH battery in there.
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: FXT - Touring
Transmission: Hi Torque CVT
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand View Post
The stock 2011 battery is a ~~350CCA/48AH battery.. I've had same issues.
not sure why they put a 350CCA/48AH battery in these cars with a list of electronic gear longer than my arm.
Been a complaint of mine since my first Forester back in 03. They put a much beefier battery in the the Outbacks, and I'll assume it applies to the Legacy as well.

I think if you live in a warmer climate it's not much of an issue. For those of us in the snow belt, I know if I keep my car longer than 2 years I'll be moving to a heavier battery as a maintenence item.

Last edited by lfdal; 01-30-2012 at 03:47 AM.
lfdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:39 AM   #11 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: FXT
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

After only two years on an OEM battery, I just replaced it this past weekend with a 640 CCA Interstate Mega-Tron Plus.

-Dennis
Old 01-30-2012, 03:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester X
Transmission: 5 MT
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Default Size matters

It's always a good idea to put in a higher Ah battery when the OEM one dies. The less a battery gets discharged during starting, the longer it will last.

By the way, both Walmart and Interstate batteries are made by Johnson Controls.
OldGoat38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car Model: Forester X Prem AWP
Transmission: 5MT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Lightbulb

Quote:
"...They put a much beefier battery in the the Outbacks,..."
Yes and no. The spec for the battery in my brother's '11 Outback is 12 V / 52 Ah. The battery specs for both my old '09 Forester and my new '12 Forester are 12 V / 48 Ah (MT) and 12 V / 52 Ah (AT). But, the Outback's 75D23R battery is spec'd at 550 CCA, while the Forester's "big" 65D23L is spec'd at ~450 CCA.

There's another important vehicle difference. The alternator in his '11 is 110 A (nominal). The alternator in my '09 non-turbo was 90 A (turbo has 110 A), but the alternator in my '12 is 110 A.

A combination of cold weather, short drives, idling, comfort accessories, and night-time operation can really stress a car's electrical system. A larger battery might help, but a larger alternator might also be worth considering.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Last edited by crewzer; 01-30-2012 at 05:17 AM.
crewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty