Subaru Maintenance Schedule (US) - Page 3 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 11:37 PM   #31 (permalink)
Forum Member

Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 1st oil change and questions about maintenance

Hi, new to the Subaru brand and new to the forums!

I'm curous of what folks have to say about maintenance and oil changing.
2 months ago I bought a 2010 Subaru Forester. My 1st new car ever, and my 1st Subaru. I hit close to my 3K mark and brought my car in for my 1st oil change.
When I brought it into the dealer I inquired about a maintenance schedule they I was a bit surprised at the 3750 interval for oil. (also what was learned on some maintenance that was recommended at 15k, the dealer recommend 7.5) I figured this is just a way for hte delaer to double the amount of service visits.
So, a quesion.
Is changing it every 3750 a bit overkill?
After reading around on the Internet and the forums, it seems like everyone is a "severe" driver. Is there any region of the US that's not considered a "severe" region? What does it take to NOT be a severe driver?
Why doesn't Subaru just make their maintenance chart reflect this rather than having everyone read 10 thousand foot notes to figure out when I need to change my transmission oil, or inspect the brakes, etc...
Am I a severe driver I wonder?
I live in Southern CA and I work from home, but I do drive around town like anyone else, I do find myself in a traffic once a week or so...and sometimes I have to drive to San Diego, (or even sometimes to the Bay Area). It can get hot here, sometimes close to 100, Since i've purchased the car, 65 days ago, i've put on 3300 miles. (averaging 51 miles per day).
Does this still make me a severe driver?
A few other questions/comments.
Would maybe chagning it every 5K seem more reasonable? (and performing the maintenance extra maintenance on the 15K and 30k type intervals?
I have past problems with other car dealer's server centers...do I have to take my car to the dealer? (does anyone know of any good authorized Subaru mechanics in Socal?)
Other questions/thoughts
The dealer put in 10/30 oil, the manual says, 5/30. is this cause for concern?
When asked they suggested that it's hotter here and having a higher viscosity is better. I live in Southern, CA -- ya..it's hotter here, but doesn't a higher viscosity not give as good as gas mileage?
edavis6678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2010, 05:12 AM   #32 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester X Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by edavis6678 View Post
Hi, new to the Subaru brand and new to the forums!

I'm curous of what folks have to say about maintenance and oil changing.
2 months ago I bought a 2010 Subaru Forester. My 1st new car ever, and my 1st Subaru. I hit close to my 3K mark and brought my car in for my 1st oil change.
When I brought it into the dealer I inquired about a maintenance schedule they I was a bit surprised at the 3750 interval for oil. (also what was learned on some maintenance that was recommended at 15k, the dealer recommend 7.5) I figured this is just a way for hte delaer to double the amount of service visits.
So, a quesion.
Is changing it every 3750 a bit overkill?
After reading around on the Internet and the forums, it seems like everyone is a "severe" driver. Is there any region of the US that's not considered a "severe" region? What does it take to NOT be a severe driver?
Why doesn't Subaru just make their maintenance chart reflect this rather than having everyone read 10 thousand foot notes to figure out when I need to change my transmission oil, or inspect the brakes, etc...
Am I a severe driver I wonder?
I live in Southern CA and I work from home, but I do drive around town like anyone else, I do find myself in a traffic once a week or so...and sometimes I have to drive to San Diego, (or even sometimes to the Bay Area). It can get hot here, sometimes close to 100, Since i've purchased the car, 65 days ago, i've put on 3300 miles. (averaging 51 miles per day).
A few other questions/comments.
Would maybe chagning it every 5K seem more reasonable? (and performing the maintenance extra maintenance on the 15K and 30k type intervals?
I have past problems with other car dealer's server centers...do I have to take my car to the dealer? (does anyone know of any good authorized Subaru mechanics in Socal?)
Other questions/thoughts
When asked they suggested that it's hotter here and having a higher viscosity is better. I live in Southern, CA -- ya..it's hotter here, but doesn't a higher viscosity not give as good as gas mileage?
I do it every 3k ;) and most people drive in severe, condition, read the description, if at least one applies you should do it every 3k. Is it extreme? hell yeah, but what else to do with your car lol? When I drove my civic I did every 7-10k if the car was lucky ;) and the engine run like new till the tensioner broke. If you ask me, changing oil to early is never over kill if you plan to keep the car for as long as it last, like me. Oil is the cheapest insurance you can get on a car. Plus it forces you to check other fluid levels at the same time, which will help you determine any issues early on. Oil interval are very personal. Subaru will let you (without voiding warranty) do it once every 7.5k or 6 months I belive. So if you want to stick to that you save. Just check you fluid level on regular basis, as these engine consume oil over time. Good luck.

One more thing driving around town, with stops of less than 5miles I would consider extreme.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:24 AM   #33 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester MY06

Quote:
Is changing it every 3750 a bit overkill?...
I think so, see further below.

Quote:
It's hard for me to imagine doing so many miles, not necessarily driving every day and being a severe driver. Your average distance must be much more than 10 miles that - for example AMSOIL considers severe[/URL].
Of course it mainly depends on how you drive. If for example the vehicle is heavily loaded, or you press the throttle deeply for many minutes etc possibly you are a severe driver.

Quote:
10w30 seems an excellent choice to me. 5w just helps cold starts. Smaller range gives higher oil durability. The second number (w30) has to do with mileage. If this is a concern to you and depending on your driving habits you could use a 5w20 or 0w20 especially if you drive a naturally aspirated engine and your manual permits it.
sarantak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:25 AM   #34 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester XT Limited

You didn't say, so I am guessing that you have the XT (turbo) model.........correct? If so, then yes it is 3750 per oil change. If not I believe that SOA has changed the criteria to 7500 miles on the MY10 NA models. Not sure about this but I believe it to be so. If you want to push it, and I am in no way recommending it, maybe 4000 would be OK. You need to know that the engine oil goes into the turbo for lubrication so the 3750 guards against oil breakdown.......even if you are using full Synthetic. That change over, to synthetic, can happen when you reach 10K but should not be done sooner according to Subaru. There are many threads here on the subject and change intervals.........have a search. Welcome to the forum!
Old 03-11-2010, 04:08 PM   #35 (permalink)
ET1
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester 2.5XT

I have a 2007 XT with a 4 A/T transmission. What type of transmission oil would i use to replace the fluids of my A/T?
ET1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #36 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: FX Premium 5mt

When does my 5MT need service?

2010 FX Premium 5MT
AWP Sage Green Metalic
TCARZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:30 AM   #37 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5X LTD
Default Dealer Maintenance overkill?

I just want to expand on the earlier poster's questions about the maintenance schedules provided by dealerships, and I apologize in advance for the long post!

Here's the schedule comparison between Subaru's recommendations and my local dealership. For the record, I also just bought my first new car, first subaru as well, a 2010 Forester 2.5x LTD, and keep in mind I live in the Northern Great Lakes region of the USA, so we do get our share of heavy snowfall and extreme cold temps during winter, as well as high humidity and heat during summer. Here's the schedule to roughly 36,000 miles:

Subaru Manufacturer's Maintenance Schedule

Interval: 7,500 miles / 7.5 month service
Action Description
Replace Engine oil|Replace

15,000 miles / 15 month service
Action Description
front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions|Perform Inspect brake lines and check operation of parking and service brake system|Inspect

22,500 miles / 22.5 month service
Action Description

30,000 miles / 30 month service
Action Description
Inspect Drive belt(s) [Except camshaft]|Inspect
hoses and connections|Recommended Performance Replace fuel filter and inspect fuel system
hoses and connections|Replace Air cleaner element|Replace
front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions|Inspect Brake linings and drums|Perform

Interval: 37,500 miles / 37.5 month service
Action Description

Dealer's Suggested Maintenance Schedule

Interval: 3,000 miles / 3 month service

6,000 miles / 6 month service

9,000 miles / 9 month service

12,000 miles / 12 month service

15,000 miles / 15 month service
Action Description
Replace Engine oil
Replace Engine oil filter
Inspect Disc brake pads and discs, front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions
Perform Inspect brake lines and check operation of parking and service brake system
Inspect Clutch operation
Inspect Steering and suspension
Perform Rotate and Inspect Tires

21,000 miles / 21 month service

24,000 miles / 24 month service

27,000 miles / 27 month service

30,000 miles / 30 month service
Action Description
Inspect Drive belt(s) [Except camshaft]
Inspect Camshaft drive belt
Replace Engine oil
Replace Engine oil filter
Perform Replace engine coolant and inspect cooling system, hoses and connections
Recommended Performance Replace fuel filter and inspect fuel system, hoses and connections
Replace Air cleaner element
Replace Spark plugs
Inspect Transmission/Differential (Front & Rear) lubricants (Gear oil)
Inspect Automatic transmission fluid
Replace Brake fluid
Inspect Disc brake pads and discs, front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions
Inspect Brake linings and drums
Perform Inspect brake lines and check operation of parking and service brake system
Inspect Clutch operation
Inspect Steering and suspension
Perform Rotate and Inspect Tires

33,000 miles / 33 month service

36,000 miles / 36 month service

I'm assuming the scheduled maintenance's listed w/o details is simply oil change/filter/tire rotations.

So, myself not being a mechanic and not qualified to pass judgment, I ask:

Is this Dealers' suggested Maintenance overkill? Will I be wasting money unnecessarily if I commit to all these extra stops at the shop? Or does it appear to be on the level?

Any and all input would be appreciated.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:53 AM   #38 (permalink)
The Seventh Sister
Administrator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: 4EAT
Gallery: 70
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 49 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppywan View Post
So, myself not being a mechanic and not qualified to pass judgment, I ask:

Is this Dealers' suggested Maintenance overkill? Will I be wasting money unnecessarily if I commit to all these extra stops at the shop? Or does it appear to be on the level?
The short answer is yes, it's overkill, added profit for the dealerships, whatever you want to call it. NEVER go by dealer-imposed service schedules... stick with the manufacturer's recommendations.
pleiad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:40 AM   #39 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester Sports XT
Transmission: Stick shift
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Question

OK I need a clarification on the Maintenance schedule for MY07 Sports XT.

According to 2007 PDF schedule downloaded from the link in the first post, the spark plugs on Turbo models are replaced at 60 000 miles.

However on under MySubaru for my car car it shows that the spark plugs are replaced at 30 000 miles.

So which one is it?

See attached screen shots
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2010-08-17 at 11.37.40 AM.png (68.7 KB, 910 views)
File Type: jpg Screen shot 2010-08-17 at 11.37.52 AM.jpg (138.9 KB, 4865 views)
Old 08-20-2010, 10:21 AM   #40 (permalink)

Car Model: Forester
Transmission: auto

What is a ball park figure I can expect to pay for a 30,000 service? Would you take it to a dealership or a certified Subaru mechanic? I am buying a 2007 Forester with ~29,400 miles, it is in California now and I will have to drive it home to Arizona which will bring the mileage up to 30,000 miles. How much over the 30,000 miles should I allow myself to go before I take it into get serviced?

Thanks!
buuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:23 AM   #41 (permalink)

Car Model: Forester
Transmission: auto

Does any one recommend a Certified Subaru Mechanic in the Valley area(Phoenix, AZ)?

Thanks!
buuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:11 AM   #42 (permalink)

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Forester 2.5XS

Haven't been on here in awhile, but my '03 Forester 2.5XS is at almost 80,000mi. is there any MAJOR maintenance needed before the 100,000mi.?
Old 02-09-2011, 03:21 PM   #43 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: MK5 (VW) GTI
Transmission: Manual/6spd

Thanks for finding this, I always like to have the maintenance schedule before buying a car
Heco94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:13 AM   #44 (permalink)
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Here's the maintenance schedule I pulled from the Canadian website for Canadian owners. Do you guys think that the oil change interval of 6,000kms a bit too early? And for some reason, the 1st link and the pdf schedules are a bit different. The 1st link is the 2010 maintenance guide and the pdf is for MY06 and up

Maintenance Guide - Vehicle Maintenance - Subaru Canada
http://www.subaru.ca/Content/7907/me...enaceGuide.pdf
White Comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:27 AM   #45 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: Forester 2.5X
Transmission: 4EAT
Default Minimum mileage for scheduled maintenance

Just tried to schedule a 7.5 mo/7500 mile maintenance for my 2011 2.5X. It's been 7.5 months since I got the car, but I've only got 3,800 mi on it. I tried to schedule the service with the dealer (I prefer doing the first few there), but was told not to do it yet. Communication was via email, so I have a written account. Here it is in its entirety:

Dealer: "Mr. [literaldeluxe], I do have time on the 2nd to perform the service on your car. Looking back in the records, I show that we performed an oil change/ck over in July @ 2100 miles. It really isn't necessary for you to bring the car in until it is closer to 5,000 miles. Please let me know what you would like to do. Thank you."

My response: "I thought I had to bring it in at 7,500 miles or 7.5 months, whichever comes first, to comply with the manufacturer's warranty."

Dealer response: "It really isn't necessary to bring the car is before the next service is due. You can if you would like though...it's really up to you. It will not void your warranty if you don't, as long as you have the maintenance performed when its due (which would be around 5,000 miles)."

Is the dealer wrong? I can't find anything written in my Warranty & Maintenance Booklet about a minimum mileage for maintenance. (Note: I was late on my 3.5 month maintenance, which is why it says July.) Any thoughts?
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty