post #16 of 131 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 12:34 AM
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: XS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo1mjg
3 to 5k miles is the norm here in southern california is there any reason why it should be done less frequently?
How many months between oil changes? Toyota's maintenance schedule is 6 months or 5k miles.

Bren

Proud owners of a 03 XS & 2005 Lexus ES330
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2001
Car Model: SOLD!
105000 miles or 168000km for Timing Belt. Other car mfg. suggest 96000km. Another proof that Subaru cars are far more superior

2001 L 5 spd, Borla header, custom exhaust.
post #18 of 131 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 05:44 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: VW GTI
Transmission: 6 MT
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Actually, timing belt is 105k in our honda as well. And the Subaru 2.2L (which is revered as a fairly bullet proof platform) was specified at 60k miles. Though that didn't keep the previous owners of our legacy from waiting until 91k!

And so when we bought it, little pieces of timing belt rubber were getting on the cranshaft position sensor, leading to non-starts and CELs. Uh, yeah, we got that fixed real fast!

95 Legacy
99 Foz
04 Foz XT

11 VW GTI + 13 FJC

post #19 of 131 (permalink) Old 09-02-2007, 03:46 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester
Questions

1. Is it safe to wait for 105k to change Camshaft drive belt?
2. I'm not sure when to replace the transmission fluid and filter.
post #20 of 131 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester
I just replaced my TB at 113K (unk service history) and it looked OK however, most of the info I ever got was not much more than 105 K on the clock. Inspection is no big deal if you pull the left side of the cover if you have an idea of what to look for that wouldn't be obvious. I didn't want to take a chance with a catastorphic failure.
post #21 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 05:55 AM
Forum Member

The maint schedule I got with my 2008 suggests changing the brake fluid every 15,000 miles. I have never heard of such a thing. Am I reading it wrong?
post #22 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 06:11 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 07
Car Model: FXT sport
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wacnstac View Post
The maint schedule I got with my 2008 suggests changing the brake fluid every 15,000 miles. I have never heard of such a thing. Am I reading it wrong?
the 07 schedule indicates changing brake fluid at 30k miles and to inspect brakes/pads at 15k.

dm

USDM 07 WRB FXT 4EAT
USDM 04 Gold FXT 5MT
post #23 of 131 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 06:48 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Sports 2.5x
Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo1mjg View Post
3 to 5k miles is the norm here in southern california is there any reason why it should be done less frequently?
Most of us drive is "severe" conditions which includes city/highway driving and or living in areas with lots of dust and crude in the air. I ignore the service intervals for "light duty". I have been changing the oil and filter at 3750 -- 4000 miles and had no problems. Synthetic oil has made a big difference in engine wear and works better in general but it still gets contaminated with condensate, blow by and crud.

I also think owners neglect to service other filters like air filters and cabin filters on a routine basis. We have dust and grit from the deserts in Mexico and Africa in the atmosphere most of the year in the southwest US.

Take a look at the attached article on engine oil from the Seattle BMW Owners newsletter.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/219822/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Engine_Oil.pdf (709.5 KB, 1093 views)

Engine oil is expensive, no oil is more expensive.
post #24 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Forum Member

The real scoop on oil changes

Been prowling this and other forums and can't get a clear picture. I gather Subaru cares a lot about our following the maintenance schedule on my '09 LL Bean. Question: What is the official best advice about when to do the first oil change? What is the official best advice about frequency of oil changes? (Our dealer says Texas is considered a severe driving condition state.) What is the official advice about synthetic? When should I change to synthetic and what would you who know recommend? Thanks in advance.
post #25 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 08:48 PM
The Seventh Sister
Administrator

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: 4EAT
Garage
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgb0517 View Post
Been prowling this and other forums and can't get a clear picture. I gather Subaru cares a lot about our following the maintenance schedule on my '09 LL Bean. Question: What is the official best advice about when to do the first oil change? What is the official best advice about frequency of oil changes? (Our dealer says Texas is considered a severe driving condition state.) What is the official advice about synthetic? When should I change to synthetic and what would you who know recommend? Thanks in advance.
There are so many discussions and so many different opinions on this, there is no official "best advice" aside from factory recommendations. I would, however, recommend sending your oil out for analysis after you get the first few oil changes under your belt (see this thread), which will help you get an idea of what your intervals should be like and whether your engine is healthy.

~ Silke ~
'04 FXT 4EAT PSM - "Subed Up"
'98 S 4EAT DBP - "Slynki"
post #26 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: S-Edition
Transmission: 5E-AT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I cannot understand how the timming belt is being replaced at 105k miles in the US and 100k km (64k miles) in the rest of the world. Too much of a risk.

2010 Dark Gray

S-Edition
post #27 of 131 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 12:05 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 09
Car Model: Forester Limited
pgb0517;
I have an 09 Limited X -- similar to your LL Bean. I was told by the dealer to make the first oil change at 3500, the second oil change at 3500 and all others at 7500 mi intervals. The interval is usually abbreviated as OIC for Oil Change Interval. I was told the fuel economy would increase sharply at 1000 to 1500 miles and would continue to increase up to 8000 miles before leveling off. Since I am already getting 22 to 24 mpg at 800 miles I doubt the part about fuel economy.
post #28 of 131 (permalink) Old 12-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester X
I think the oil should be changed when it gets dirty, so maybe in the winter you may need to change it more often.

Red Baron - 2004 Forester X
STOCK! Fornever
post #29 of 131 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 02:47 PM
FXTTONY

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: forester xt limited
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Another thought,
if one was to change their high quality oil and oem filter with same every 3k or 3 3/4 months (i do), and air filter every third oil change approx. the engine would be operating at top efficiency, if you wait untill it is really dirty and worn out, how long were you operating at reduced efficiency and putting more wear on the internals?
i would prefer to spend a few hundred dollars more in the end for high efficiency from a vehicle than to replace parts or know more wear is occuring when i could do 3k mi. oci's and keep it running better, cleaner and longer.
first class piece of mind is only 10% more.
if one only wanted cheap, they wouldn't drive a subaru in the first place.
i like to keep my engine clean (ex engineer, mechanic and tireman) and drive on good tires, (replaced when half worn, sell or give to less fortunate) it is all i have between the road and my butt, also replace brakes before they are worn out. (buy good parts ahead of time and have it ready for service time)
give your suby a lot of quality love and quality love comes back. just my thoughts, sincerely, tony
Womprat57 likes this.

a cabin on 5 acres, couple of pocket knives, a happy golden retreiver, priceless
post #30 of 131 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 08:19 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester X Premium
I think some of you guys just go over the top lol. I am plaining on changing oil and oil filter every 3-4k (dyno), Air filter every 15k, cabin filter every 20k, and than just check the level of fluids up until at least 100k miles. If the car chooses to crap out on it's way to 100k than it is a junk and I most likely never buy a sub again, I am previous Honda owner, and my honda took a beating every day lasted up to 138k with only oil (dyno) and filter change every 4-5k and air filter every 20k, and trainy fluid every 30k or so. I am not going be obsessing over subaru, I am planing on thesting it like all my previous cars, Nissan came true, Honda came true, hell even Jeep came true, I don't see a reason why Sub would not.

2010 Forester X Premium 4AT
PU 5w-30 & OEM Filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode