Subaru issues turbo STOP SALE on certain 08-09 models - Page 5 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #61 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 07
Car Model: FXT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by orellius View Post
There is a plate/sticker inside the drivers side door jam. Bottom right closest to the rear passenger door. It should say the build date on there.

dwmoss: it does specify 08/09's for all models.
First things, first, I don't have any first hand knowledge of the issue. I'm just trying to relay the information found on other boards. THere are more Subaru linked members here then myself, and I'm sure they will add it to confirm or correct the information.

As far as the FXT, I don't know that cut off manufacturing date between the 08 and 09 model year. I'm not sure how many 08 FXTs were built after 1/8/08, if any. I was ASSUMING that the 08/09 model year indication had more to do with the impreza's and now it looks like the legacy's and outbacks with the turbo.

It does seem that the vin#'s are being restarted with each model year, so you could have an 07 or 08 that seems to fall in the vin line but your manufacture date is well before 1/08/08. I forget which digit is the year indicator but it isn't in the last 6 digits.

It also doesnt seem like a minor problem to warrant a stop sale order. Again I feel for those who are/will be affected.

dm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmoss View Post
I forget which digit is the year indicator but it isn't in the last 6 digits.

dm
It's the 10th digit.

please refer to Peatpics

'06 2.5XT 4EAT European Spec.VF34+EcuTek Stage-2
post #63 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 11:00 AM

Car Year: 09
Car Model: Forrester XT Sports
Just called the dealer to check if this would affect my 08 FXT Sport and was told that Subaru would directly contact me if my car was in the range. Very vague!
post #64 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Official sf.org decal guy
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: FXT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FozziRider View Post
Just called the dealer to check if this would affect my 08 FXT Sport and was told that Subaru would directly contact me if my car was in the range. Very vague!
I'm sure they don't want to be part of the panic or give out false information.

Get your SF.org decals at http://www.LampOneDesigns.com
post #65 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester XT (CDN)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmoss View Post
First things, first, I don't have any first hand knowledge of the issue. I'm just trying to relay the information found on other boards. THere are more Subaru linked members here then myself, and I'm sure they will add it to confirm or correct the information.

As far as the FXT, I don't know that cut off manufacturing date between the 08 and 09 model year. I'm not sure how many 08 FXTs were built after 1/8/08, if any. I was ASSUMING that the 08/09 model year indication had more to do with the impreza's and now it looks like the legacy's and outbacks with the turbo.

It does seem that the vin#'s are being restarted with each model year, so you could have an 07 or 08 that seems to fall in the vin line but your manufacture date is well before 1/08/08. I forget which digit is the year indicator but it isn't in the last 6 digits.

It also doesnt seem like a minor problem to warrant a stop sale order. Again I feel for those who are/will be affected.

dm
Okay? Was just letting you know, not implying you were incorrect or anything else. On page 4 you made it clear you were not sure if 08's were included. It specifies 08's, was just letting you know.

2008 Forester XT Sports (CDM) - WRB
post #66 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 02:46 PM

Damn! Bad timing hey.

Placed an order and paid deposit for an '09 FXT Premium Manual late yesterday.... woke up this morning and happened to stumble across this stuff.

Should be delivered in 2 weeks.

Surely Subaru Australia would know about this and would not be selling affected cars as late as yesterday. Less than 18 hours ago.

Looks like ill be calling the dealer whn i get to work.
post #67 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Official sf.org decal guy
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: FXT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickers View Post
Damn! Bad timing hey.

Placed an order and paid deposit for an '09 FXT Premium Manual late yesterday.... woke up this morning and happened to stumble across this stuff.

Should be delivered in 2 weeks.

Surely Subaru Australia would know about this and would not be selling affected cars as late as yesterday. Less than 18 hours ago.

Looks like ill be calling the dealer whn i get to work.
Whoa whoa whoa... FXT manual? The have XT w/manual transmissions in Australia?

Get your SF.org decals at http://www.LampOneDesigns.com
post #68 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester XT (CDN)
FYI to Canadians. I know some were wondering if it affects Canadian ones, or if Canadian dealerships were aware. Or maybe I saw that on NOSIAC?

Anywho, my salesman just called to do a followup on my car, to see how I liked it. I mentioned this to him and he said they just found out today, and they have a confirmed 2 cars affected (both of which had not been sold yet). This is the Calgary North dealership. Just thought I'd mention it!

2008 Forester XT Sports (CDM) - WRB
post #69 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 03:12 PM
tag team uSerZ
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2002
Car Model: GackedOutback
Transmission: impossible
Sponaugle's STI knocked like mad and I think his was built in November/eary December. His car was on the first truck of STI's delivered at the beginning of December. If I recall right, I think it was a piston ring that failed. He put in aftermarket internals anyway, so it was never reported to SOA. This happened right around the new year.

This is complete speculation on my part, though. I can't confirm that his car was a case of this failure, or Jeff just being Jeff. But the odds are...

PM me if you have FXT fo sale!
post #70 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 03:23 PM
The Seventh Sister
Administrator

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: 4EAT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddlamp View Post
I'm sure they are available in many markets around the world where manuals are preferred over autos. North America is just not one of those markets.

-Silke
04 FXT PP PSM ~ "Subed"
98 Forester S ~ "Slynki"
post #71 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddlamp View Post
Absolutely dude.
Test drove both, you can't compare them.

The US market has no demand for manual...too many lazy drivers.
post #72 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Car Model: Forester Sport 2.5XT
I hope things become a bit clearer within the next week or two with regards to pinpointing affected vehicles.

Quote:
too many lazy drivers.
Call me lazy if you want, but after driving a MT in this for the past 5-6 years I'm done...

Next for me is a nice dual clutch transmission and I'm .

-Mike- | 2008 FSXT -> 2009 STI

Last edited by CreoSTi; 04-07-2008 at 05:05 PM.
post #73 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 07
Car Model: FXT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by orellius View Post
Okay? Was just letting you know, not implying you were incorrect or anything else. On page 4 you made it clear you were not sure if 08's were included. It specifies 08's, was just letting you know.
Orellius, sorry about that, my fault, just trying to make sure I don't add to any more confusion in the situation.

once again I feel for the affected owners...

here's a post from Jon [in CT] on nasioc indicating for the forester xt's its just the 09s.

Where's our SF subaru contacts to confirm??

on a side note, over the weekend I called a buddy who works (repair) for a local subaru dealership and told him about the info on the wrx's and the fxts. He called me back today and told me about the legacy's as well. So sadly I believe it is for real.

dm
post #74 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 12:48 AM

From an Australian Subaru Bulletin

Fuji Heavy Industries (FHI), the manufacturer of Subaru vehicles, has temporarily suspended the
production and sale of all 2.5 litre four cylinder turbocharged engine vehicles manufactured
between Tuesday 8 January and Saturday 5 April 2008.
Vehicles fitted with all other displacement engines and the 2.5 litre normally aspirated engine are
NOT affected.
This Quality Assurance action follows isolated reports of “engine knocking noise” and is aimed at
avoiding possible damage to the engines of potentially affected vehicles.
FHI have identified the problem as abnormal wear on con rod big end bearings and are now
working to identify the cause and produce a fix.
Therefore, in the interests of preventing any possibility of engine damage to potentially affected
vehicles, we are isolating any potentially affected vehicles from sale until the cause and
correction are identified.
post #75 of 267 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 03:14 AM

Car Model: Forester XT
Quote:
Damn! Bad timing hey.

I signed the contract today for a FXT manual today. Please post your info once you have spoken to your dealer and I will do the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.