Subaru issues turbo STOP SALE on certain 08-09 models - Page 10 - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2008, 04:29 AM   #136 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: VW Golf TDI
Transmission: DSG
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUBBI View Post
We only found out about the recall the week after we placed our order for a new XT! We were going to get it in about 4 weeks and now its been pushed back about another 3-4 weeks, arrrr! To the dealers credit they did offer us some other XT's but the colours were wrong.
Unless you are desperate for a replacement car, I'd push back your XT purchase for 6 months after they resolve this issue.
higgledy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2008, 06:23 AM   #137 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: 2013 Forester 2.0D-S
Transmission: Manual, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUBBI View Post
To the dealers credit they did offer us some other XT's but the colours were wrong.
My salesman also informed me that there were limited numbers of certain colours coming into the country.
Wayne'O 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:49 AM   #138 (permalink)

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester XT Ltd AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by frad1312 View Post
Well just a quick update from OZ,

Spoke to the subaru sales person today that i have placed an order with, and he said that he was driving a car in Brisbane 3 weeks ago and the engin gave out. He said they found it to have the same problem as the stop sale looks at. He said it was bad pistons / rings. He said over the weekend they found a way of testing for the bad units, and that would be public early this week. He also went on to say, that a car affected by the problem would be replaced not fixed.

Hope this adds some insite to the situation.

I get my Manual XT in one week, all going well that is. However the sales guy today told me that my car was not part of the stop sale, so hopefuly a build date of 2/04/08 Lol.
Did you mean "replaced" as in whole CAR or Engine?
Wow... That's some seriousness.
Good luck with your new one.

It looks like I really picked a peachy time to get into looking at WRX's, but at least Subaru's resolving it to maintain reputation.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:48 AM   #139 (permalink)
Forum Member

How do you tell with the vin #? I got this VIN from a local dealer: JF2SH66629H707567

Anyone?
Howeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 01:00 PM   #140 (permalink)

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester XT Pre Man
Gallery: 4

Hey babs

Yeah i belive replace the whole car, as he said " if a car is found to have the problem we are just ordering another one for the customer at this time ".

So must be a big problem, or Zupps who i bought my car from cant be bothered doing any repairs.

But i know u would not wont a brand new car that has already had the engin pulled apart and rebuilt.
frad1312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:35 PM   #141 (permalink)

OK guys I have some updates which you may or may not have already read.

The first one is from the US Subarunet site which is official and outlines the issue. It copied it off nasioc website.

Turbo Engine Stop Sale checking Procedure
On April 7, 2008 we informed you of a stop sale order on 2008 Impreza, STi and Legacy vehicles and 2009 Forester vehicles equipped with 2.5L Turbo Engines and produced with the beginning chassis number/production dates and later as shown below:

Model Body Type Chassis Number Production Date
Forester Wagon 701045 or later 2008/01/08 or later
Legacy 2.5GT-LTD 222825 or later 2008/02/04 or later
2.5GT-B 222958 or later
OBK 2.5XT-LTD 353835 or later 2008/02/01 or later
Impreza Sedan 523363 or later 2008/01/08 or later
Wagon 825183 or later

We took this action as a “Customer First” preventive action as we had confirmed, in other markets, that there was a small possibility of an “Engine Knocking Noise” caused by a contamination in the area of the connecting rod big end journal at very low mileage/time in service.

The action was successful in preventing the potential of failures for our customers.

Subaru has defined a screening process that you must perform to all of the affected vehicles in your inventory before delivery to a customer or putting in demonstrator service.

The screening process consists of several steps to inspect the condition of the engine oil to determine if the engine is not affected by the contamination, is already damaged, or has a potential for damage.

Both a flow chart and detailed instruction sheet of the process are included in this document. Each step must be followed exactly, no short cuts.

As soon as the engine is determined to be in proper working condition, it can be sold or put into demo service.

To perform the screening, you will need the following materials for each vehicle:
• New magnetic Oil Pan Drain Plug (1) (32103KA000 - only this P/N is acceptable)
• New Oil Drain Plug Gasket (1) (11126AA000)
• New Oil Filter (1) (15208AA100)
• Engine Oil 5w30
• Filter paper (such as a standard automotive funnel type paint filter)
• Clear plastic “wash bottle” 16oz (500ml), with angled flexible snorkel:

Please order a plastic wash bottle, 16 ounce (500ml / 500cc), translucent color for observing the color of the oil. The cap and pick-up tube colors are not important for this test. We suggest using the following suppliers and supply houses to locate the plastic wash bottle or equivalent:
• W.W. Grainger Supply, Inc. - Grainger Industrial Supply
• Fisher Scientic, Inc. - Fisher Scientific - Welcome
• Most Medical Supply Locations
• Most Beauty Supply Locations

Note: It is important that the opening at the tip of the flexible snorkel be at least 3mm inside diameter in order to properly allow any contamination that may be present in the bottom of the oil pan to pass through into the bottle. It may be necessary to trim the flexible snorkel to obtain the 3mm opening. See picture in flowchart on page 4.

Detailed Instructions
You will need to refer to the flow chart provided to follow this written procedure and refer to the photos and graphics for examples.

Always follow all environmental and hazardous waste handling precautions to prevent any contamination or safety issues.

Engine Screening Procedure One

1) Drain the engine oil through the drain plug.

2) Using the wash bottle, insert the tip of the snorkel through the drain hole, ensuring that the tip is between the bottom of the pick-up screen and the oil pan. Note: The wash bottle can be re-used, but it must be thoroughly cleaned with aqueous parts cleaner and dried. All residual oil, particles and cleaner must be removed to ensure that no false judgments are made.

3) Siphon the remaining oil and residue from the oil pan as shown in the drawing (approximately 100cc).

4) Observe the color and clarity of the oil in the wash bottle, and compare it to the examples in the photo found on the flowchart on page 4.
NOTE: If the wash bottle is not clear, pour the oil and residue into a clear glass container to make a good judgment.

5) If the oil is clear, the engine is okay.
A) Replace the oil filter, install a new magnetic Oil Plug and new Oil Plug Gasket, and refill with fresh engine oil.

Engine Screening Procedure Two

6) If the oil clarity or color matches the “Needs Check” samples, strain the oil through the filter paper and capture the material residue.
A)If there are copper particles larger that 1 mm in the material residue, the engine is damaged. Immediately submit an E-QMR and wait for further instructions.
NOTE: It may be necessary to clean the particles to determine if they are copper. Copper is reddish in color. There may be very small particles of other materials that are typical of a new engine, such as silicon, aluminum and ferrous (steel or magnetic) content, that do not indicate any failure.
B)If there are no copper particles, or they are smaller than 1 mm, proceed to step 7.

7) Install a new magnetic Oil Drain Plug, reusing the original gasket and engine oil filter, and refill the engine with fresh oil.

8)Start the engine and let it idle for five (5) minutes to flush any residue from the oil passages.
A)Stop the engine, drain the oil, remove and replace the oil filter, clean and reinstall the magnetic drain pug, using the new gasket.
B)Refill with fresh oil.

9)Re-start the engine and let it idle for 5 minutes.
Note: Be sure to allow the Air Pump operation to complete its cycle. It will be difficult to distinguish any engine noise while the pump is operating.
A)Quickly rev and release the engine to 6,000 rpm at least 10 (ten) times. Caution: Do not exceed 6000 rpm or hold above the red line.
Note: Be sure to follow the “Reving Procedure” found on the flow chart located on page 4.
B)Let the engine idle for a few seconds; then increase and decrease the rpm slowly to 2500 rpm, while listening for abnormal lower end engine noise.

10) If lower end engine noise is evident, immediately stop the engine and submit an E-QMR and wait for further instructions.

11) If no noise, the engine is okay, and the vehicle can be released for retail sale.

This next one is from my Subaru dealership in melbourne australia and is another official document i have received from my salesperson outlining the process in OZ.

Subaru (Aust) Pty. Limited
4 Burbank Place, Baulkham Hills NSW 2153
Postal Address: PO Box 8311, Baulkham Hills NSW 2153
Phone: (02) 98289111 Fax: (02) 9828 9131
ABN: 95000312792
Subaru New Cars - Subaru Australia
Service Information

SUBARU
ALL-WHEEL ORIVE
Category:
Date:
Reference:
Subject:
General
18 April 2008
Turbo Engine Update
The Subaru Technical Department is now testing the factory's diagnostic procedure, which
identifies 2.5 litre turbo engine cars with symptoms that can result in engine knocking noise.
Subaru Australia technicians are now being trained on the procedure, which we will begin to roll
out in our compounds and the network this week.
The Subaru Technical Department will also start visiting retailers in metropolitan and provincial
centres as soon as possible, to begin assessing vehicles in stock, The Technical Department will
advise the process for rural locations.
First priority is being given to retailed vehicles. This will enable the resumption of customer
deliveries at the earliest opportunity.
Subaru's Customer Relations department will this week begin phoning customers with
potentially affected vehicles. A follow-up letter will also be sent. Their car will be booked into a
dealershi p for a precautionary check, at Subaru Austral ia' s expense.
As an act of goodwill, these customers are being given a five-year extended warranty.
As per our previous communications, any customers whose vehicle produces engine knocking
noise should be offered a loan car until their vehicles can be checked and, where necessary,
fixed.
Delivery of 2.5 litre turbo cars to the network will resume later this week. Please await our advice.
Production has now resumed at the factory.
Please advise all your customer-facing staff so they are equipped to respond proactively.

sorry for the formatting

Snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:16 PM   #142 (permalink)

I know if Subaru Australia gave me a 5 year warranty for all the head ache i would be able to forget all this ever happened. So hopefully they do that.

I will hit up my sales person tommorow about it, as my car is due in late this week. So i am sure it will be affected. Just cross fingers that the engin is not buggered.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:20 AM   #143 (permalink)
Forum Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: 328i xDrive Wagon
Transmission: 8 spd Auto
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

USDM's get a 5/60 anyway......

So much for not revving the engine above 4k until its seen a 1000 miles.

6k rpms, 10X in succession? That should speed the break-in. Although there are those who say that's fine. Guess we'll find out, eventually, especially if they're going to do that to all the turbo's within the VIN / date range.

And the thought of my dealer doing such a detailed analysis

Glad I'm not going to be in the market for another car until 2010.
lfdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:05 AM   #144 (permalink)

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Forester MY03 MTXS

My MXT Premium has arrived and is sitting in the lot at Melbourne. Apparently the guys from FHI will be testing the cars next week and releasing when ready. Not sure where mine sits in the order but they said they have about 30 cars to test, mostly the Fozzie XT but a few others as well. Hopefully the second week of May I'll be saying goodbye to the 03XS and welcoming the 09XT.
dixetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:41 AM   #145 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixetti View Post
My MXT Premium has arrived and is sitting in the lot at Melbourne. Apparently the guys from FHI will be testing the cars next week and releasing when ready. Not sure where mine sits in the order but they said they have about 30 cars to test, mostly the Fozzie XT but a few others as well. Hopefully the second week of May I'll be saying goodbye to the 03XS and welcoming the 09XT.

Hey,

I hope there not going to take 2 weeks to test the cars are get them to the people. I sold my car a week ago under the subaru dealers advice that i would have had the car last weekend. So far he said i should have it by next wednesday, but by the sounds of it i could have a problem if there taking this much time to test. Will let you know what the dealer says on monday.

Josh
Old 04-23-2008, 04:05 AM   #146 (permalink)

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Forester MY03 MTXS

Hi Josh,

I think it depends on how many cars are at your dealers. Mine is at Docklands which is pretty big and with my car I'm guessing they still have to fit the accessories. Hopefully things will work out quicker than what I expect - I ordered the car in February. But a few months is not too bad, a workmate was telling me someone he knows has had a Toyota Sahara on order for more than six months.

Jim
dixetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:02 PM   #147 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixetti View Post
Hi Josh,

I think it depends on how many cars are at your dealers. Mine is at Docklands which is pretty big and with my car I'm guessing they still have to fit the accessories. Hopefully things will work out quicker than what I expect - I ordered the car in February. But a few months is not too bad, a workmate was telling me someone he knows has had a Toyota Sahara on order for more than six months.

Jim
Yeah, mine is at docklands as well. Got the phonecall this morning saying they have begun inspecting the vehicles. Was told that with any luck I could have the car within a week.
Snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 05:31 AM   #148 (permalink)

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester XT Ltd AT

Well.. wasn't so much the stop sale, but I fell into the Honda black hole.. not even light escapes it. Drove in this morning in a new Sedan Si. Sweet little ride. The wife has the forester now but I'm still hanging in here because this is a 1st class forum with ultra 1st class folks, and subies are 1st class cars to me.

Was tough decision though.. Seth over at Grayson (the man to talk to in here if you're anywhere near Knoxville) has the deals going on subies and I was 90% on a WRX, then looked at a Civic Si and was 70%, then saw the mileage they get and was 40%, then drove it and it was a done deal. But shameless plug for Seth.

Last edited by babs; 04-24-2008 at 05:42 AM.
babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:18 AM   #149 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Model: Outback XT-B
Transmission: 5MT
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

SOA now has a shortage of magnetic drain plugs. Go figure.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:13 PM   #150 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester X Premium
Transmission: 5MT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickers View Post
To perform the screening, you will need the following materials for each vehicle:
• New magnetic Oil Pan Drain Plug (1) (32103KA000 - only this P/N is acceptable)

Engine Screening Procedure Two
NOTE: It may be necessary to clean the particles to determine if they are copper. Copper is reddish in color. There may be very small particles of other materials that are typical of a new engine, such as silicon, aluminum and ferrous (steel or magnetic) content, that do not indicate any failure.
B)If there are no copper particles, or they are smaller than 1 mm, proceed to step 7.
Does any one else find it odd that if they are they are only interested in looking for copper, That they require the magnetic drain plug?

Cliff notes:
Copper = non magnetic
Magnetic drain plug = ferrous metals(not copper)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickers View Post
7) Install a new magnetic Oil Drain Plug, reusing the original gasket and engine oil filter, and refill the engine with fresh oil.
***, SOA tells us a new gasket is required at each oil change, but they can reuse it.

I am willing to bet many vehicles with bad(lack of a better term) engines make it past this testing process.

Last edited by flstffxe; 04-25-2008 at 03:45 PM.
flstffxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty