Subaru Forester Thermostat - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 08:45 PM
joel

Gallery:
Question Subaru Forester Thermostat

Subaru overheating, changed broken hose and replaced with new radiator cap but it's still overheating. Can someone tell me where the thermostat on a 1998 Forestor.:-( :-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 09:10 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: dodge caravan
Transmission: auto
Gallery: 3
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
were the bottom rad hose goes to the engine u will see two bolts take them out and the housing out the thermostat is there.
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/att...achmentid=2052

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...=&threadid=170

GIT-R-DONE
2010 Dodge grand caravan SE
2002 S sport 5spd SOLD
1996 L Legacy AWD
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 12:54 AM
joel

Gallery:
Thumbs up Thermostat located.

thanks buddy. nice lights and cool doggy.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2006, 04:19 AM
The Modfather

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Legacy 3.6R Limited
Transmission: 5EAT
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Subarus also have a headgasket problem. If the thermostat does not help that could be the cause. I hope not though.

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4413

Peaty

2010 Leg 3.6 R, 2013 OB, 2001 OB, 2001 Forester S and 1999 Miata
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 12:21 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel View Post
Subaru overheating, changed broken hose and replaced with new radiator cap but it's still overheating. Can someone tell me where the thermostat on a 1998 Forestor.:-( :-(
Thermostat is located on the engine end of the lower (yes, I said lower) radiator hose. The housing is plastic, so work carefully. It would be a good idea to use a genuine Subaru thermostat and rubber O-ring gasket, as this will give the correct temperature. I am surprised your thermostat went bad-- usually the factory Subie thermostats last 10-15 years. To replace thermostat, drain radiator, then remove lower hose at engine end (first green shower), remove the bolts securing the lower hose connector to the engine and remove the connector (second green shower), then pull the thermostat and rubber ring out with pliers (third green shower). Installation is reverse of removal, and there is no gasket on the thermostat cover to speak of-- the O- ring around the thermostat does all the sealing. Remember to refill radiator with care, and use the air "burp" screw mounted on the radiator top, opposite the fill pipe. i got this answer at wikianswer guys....

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 05:23 AM

Car Year: 1999
Car Model: Forester L, AT
Forester overheated again last night - just had the dealer replace the radiator, thermostat, water pump, and associated gaskets 2 years ago (vehicle had had the very same parts replaced just 30K miles prior to that along with cylinder head gaskets, etc. for the earlier recall). Based upon behavior, fluctuation of engine temp, heater no longer working, then temp skyrocking to the "red" zone in single digit temps, evident that another coolant issue is at hand. Is this common for these vehicles or do I have a lemon on my hands - seems that I continue to have the same issues over and over again (just long enough that the Subaru parts/labor warranty is expired).....
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2001
Car Model: Forester S
It could just be that your rad is leaking out of the lower tank. Can you smell coolant while you are driving?

I had a similar thing happen with my '01 a few years ago. The car was overheating and loosing coolant. It turned out to be the lower rad tank gasket. I had the dealer figure this out, and it cost about $400. A year ago I had the head gaskets done. Last month I noticed I was losing coolant from the top tank gasket (so it never lost enough to lead to overheating). It is hard to see an external coolant leak from the bottom tank. It leaks only when the system is pressurized, and then it is usually a trickle. The coolant splashes out onto the street and dries up if it hits the engine.

Try pulling out the radiator. You can do this yourself fairly easily. For my car it is: Drain the coolant (bottom drain will get a lot of it, easier if you put a short hose onto it). Remove the coolant reservoir. Remove the drivebelt covers from the engine. Disconnect the lower rad hose and catch the remaining coolant. Disconnect the top hose. Disconnect the fan electrical connectors. Remove the mounting brackets. Lift the rad+fans out. Take off the fans/shrouds.

Take it to a rad shop (the kind that does work for other dealers/shops) and have them pressure-test it and repair if necessary (probably cost ~$100).

I just did this last month (Nov 09). The time to remove the rad was less than an hour. A local rad shop repaired my top tank in a day for $95 (with a replacement tank+gasket, the right way to do it). I replaced the rad in less than 15 minutes, filled it up with coolant, and it has been fine since. I also replaced the thermostat while I was at it (a $20 part). The coolant looked good when I removed it, so I kept it all and put it back in, then topped off what I had lost. (If you do this yourself you should put in the Subaru coolant conditioner.)

2001 Subaru Forester S, M/T, 2.5L N/A, 165K miles
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 09:28 AM
99S

Car Model: Forester S
Any external coolant leaks? I believe you have the dreaded headgasket problem. Had to get mine replaced about 5000 miles ago. I had no external leaks. Was overheating when the car would get too low on radiator fluid. For almost 3 years I was able to get away with topping off the fluid every couple of weeks. Coolant loss was never consistant, so sometimes it would be good for a month, and sometimes started overheating after a couple of days. At least 20 times was stuck on the side of the road waiting for it to cool down . Refused to just admit it and get the headgasket replaced. Changed the radiator cap, hoses, overflow tank, thermostat, housing, water pump with varying degrees of success, but never completely solved the problem. Even when I popped the timing belt, I didn't have the money to get to the headgasket. When my heads were finally removed in October, I ended up needing to get them remolded at the machine shop. The headgasket wasn't actually worn too bad, but the heads themselves were warped!

$1200 later, my Fozzy now runs like new. Now, I'm looking to put another 200k miles on her
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 06:58 PM
New User

Car Model: subaru forester
Transmission: automatic
water is not circulating to the heater core on 99 forester

I have a 99 subaru forester auto. I just changed thermostat radiator and hoses. Yet it still overheated and it would not blow out hot air. The thermostat never turned on I believe. I was told the water wasnt circulating to the heater core. Is this true? What can it be. Im looking for other ideas. Please help!!!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 03:21 AM
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: 2.5X
Gallery: 98
Need help! My FX is overheating

Be careful what you wish for.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 11:20 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1998
Car Model: forester
Transmission: automatic
kmart815, still having the overheating problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.