Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Stranded please help!

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Duderotomy 
#1 ·
My wife and I were on our way home from thanksgiving weekend and we stopped to get gas, and now our 99 forester will not start. I think it is the coil but I am looking for some confirmation. It cranks fine and it is getting fuel and when I tested the coil I could not get a resistance reading on the input side of the coil, the out put was within parameters. I have ordered one from the local parts store and it will be here tomorrow. I was just wondering if there could be anything else that could cause this. Crank or cam sensor, ignitor, or ECM.

Any help would be appreciated.

#4 · (Edited)
Power to the coil?

To me it I would expect more of a power supply issue as it drove into the station fine was shut off and now has no spark. Bad ignition switch, loose connection...., that type of thing. Not that a cam/crank position sensor can't fail but it just doesn't happen often with subarus.

Edit: and coils typically give signs of death, miss fires, arching.....

#6 ·
I'd rule out a cam sensor issue, since there are two of them and it's unlikely that they will fail at the same time. I had one fail a couple of months ago and the car was still driveable. It just caused some bucking at freeway speeds and the car wanted to stall out at idle, but could be kept from doing so by keeping the revs up.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.