User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Car Year: 1999
Car Model: Forester S, 330i ZHP
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steering problems

So first off I have searched but haven't found anything specifically related to my problem as described. I've only had the vehicle for about two months, it's a 99' Forester S if that matters.

Recently I've noticed that the steering is very stiff and what I would describe as "notchy". It is very hard to start turning the wheel, then gets a little easier, then gets harder again, same in both directions. Almost like when you begin to turn the wheel you have to overcome some unseen force, then it starts turning, only to meet resistance again and release again. There is no difference in symptoms whether I'm moving or sitting still.

The tire pressure is OK, the power steering fluid level is fine and the pump appears to be working ok. Ideas? Steering rack? Tie rods? PS pump? The symptoms actually began after I had Krown Rust control done but this might be a coincidence. I read in another post that older Foresters do have some steering assist, does anyone know where this electical connector is, maybe it came off?

The vehicle is still drivable it's just very annoying. Just looking for some input. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: 2.5 XT
Transmission: 4eat
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Subscribed. Describes the problems i've been having recently as well. It feels like when you first turn it in one direction theres pressure on the wheel like you're turning against a curb but then if you move back a little and turn again it moves very easily. Might try changing all the PS fluid.

04xt/4eat, 16g, STI bits and bobs
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Impreza Ltd
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
First, I would change the PS fluid.

Then check belt tension.

Also I haven't seen it on a Forester, but some Legacys/Outbacks did have a problem I saw where the power steering pulley was loose on the shaft giving the same symptom. You will only notice it if someone is turning the wheel while you watch the pump shaft and pulley.

98S, 2014 Impreza 5 dr Ltd (9 Subaru's since 1978, 7 were 5 sp) ILuvSubaru's
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll try searching for a DIY for changing the fluid and start there. It is like steering against the curb, it's an odd sensation, almost like the tires don't want to turn but then they do. Then they change their mind and don't want to again.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: 2.5 XT
Transmission: 4eat
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFady View Post
Thanks, I'll try searching for a DIY for changing the fluid and start there. It is like steering against the curb, it's an odd sensation, almost like the tires don't want to turn but then they do. Then they change their mind and don't want to again.
I've been trying to think of a way to describe it on here for weeks lol. Hopefully we can figure this out. Its been bothering me for a while. However my axle is now failing as well and I'm replacing all the bushings etc in the front end soon, well see if that helps anything.

04xt/4eat, 16g, STI bits and bobs
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

Well just as an update, it appears to be directly related to the outside temperature for me. I haven't put my car in storage for the winter yet so the Forester's home has been outside. The temp's been dropping below zero here at night and I find when I first start driving it is most symptomatic. However once the vehicle is warmed up, or on days it is actually parked underground, it doesn't seem to be a problem. I haven't got around to changing the fluid yet. I didn't notice the pulley shaft moving at all when someone was turning the wheel but thanks for the suggestion.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 07:27 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Forester 2.5x
Transmission: 6 MT DCCDPro!
Hey guys,

I noticed the exact same issue this morning when I took off with my 03 X. It was around -4 C here and very humid. Are there any updates on this?

Keven

Keven 03 X, 6MT :D, some N/A love......
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Bump for same problem. Just started occurring last week.

*Hard/ sporadic/ jumpy steering assist*

Attempts:
- Re-tensioning belt
- Check and rechecking fluid
- Bleeding power steering lines
- Check and rechecking tire pressure

I'm going to try checking the bearings on the PS pump. I wouldn't be happy if it turned out to be the rack.

2005 XT - 4EAT - Journal to come

Last edited by Slim_Jim; 06-11-2012 at 06:42 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 02:57 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Forester XS
Transmission: auto
Your descriptions sound like belt slip. Take a white marker and put a line across the power steering pulley, then have someone turn the steering wheel backwards and forwards with the engine idling.

Also check the reservoir has no air bubbles. If you have air bubbles you have a suction side leak.

If you want to check the pump, just drop the belt and spin by hand. It should spin freely but with all your might you probably can't get more then one revolution with a good flick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.