Squeaky suspension or undercarriage, any ideas? - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Car Year: 1998
Car Model: Forester S
Squeaky suspension or undercarriage, any ideas?

Occasionally when I start the car, I hear a chirpy squeak but it goes away as soon as the engine is running. Also, today, I noticed that if I push on the upper part of the body and make the car "roll" to the side, I hear a squeak from the undercarriage. It doesn't seem to make any noise when I go over bumps. I did several searches but I coudn't find anything quite like this. What could cause this to happen? Are there any relatively easy fixes to try? I've never messed with a suspension this complex before (had a dodge caravan before this) but I'm willing to learn. Thanks for any help and sorry for the long post.

JCoov

98 Forester S, 2.5L Auto
166,150miles and counting

Last edited by jcoov1104; 06-29-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 03:36 PM

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT
I can't be sure this is the same issue but I periodically have had a squeaky sound that I would notice if I went over a large bump or could reproduce by pushing down and releasing either front side. I eventually isolated it to the front struts where the plastic cover is rubbing as the strut goes up and down. I can fully expose it by jacking up that corner and a few squirts of a lithium lubricant has solved it for about a year before I had to do it again. Good luck.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

could be...

I noticed this afternoon that the noise seems to be somewhat of a chirpy squeak whenever i go over a bump in such a way that the car moves side to side more than up and down. I also hear some in the back as well as the front. Could the rear hatch cause any of this noise?
Thanks,

JCoov

98 Forester S, DOHC 2.5L 4EAT
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

problem solved!

The other day I happened to bump the car while taking some stuff out and I heard the squeak, while the car was off and clearly not going over any bumps. I heard the sound under the rear driver's side of the car so I did some poking around...lo and behold, one of the exhaust hanger prongs near the axle was bent in just a little and rubbing against a flat metal flange like a bow across a violin! Every time there was a side to side shimmy, I got the awful screechy noises. So I got me a prybar and my trusty ball peen hammer and in 2 minutes had the hanger readjusted so it no longer touches, beautiful quiet operation again!

JCoov

98 Forester S, DOHC 2.5L 4EAT
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 98
Car Model: Forester
never heard of that one before... good to hear you solved the mystery

'98 Forester S MT
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 08:38 AM
Taking a Walkabout in the Outback

Silicone grease the bushes in the torsion bar/anti sway bar.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 05:23 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester 2.5 X Prem
Transmission: 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schermann View Post
Silicone grease the bushes in the torsion bar/anti sway bar.
I think I need to try this on my suspension. No sooner did I make my last car payment, that I developed a rubbery squeaking noise that is coming from the front right suspension. It sounds like bushings and/or linkages but I haven't had a chance to chase it down. The sound is very similar to the one I have been getting from my clutch for the past year, and seems to be more prominent when it's wet and cold outside. This makes me think bushings, but I will try to lubricate the linkages first. The squeaking happens mostly around right turns that induce quick body roll.

2007 Forester 2.5x Premium 5MT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.