Shake during cornering - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 09:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Smooshed FOTY 2011

Car Year: 2005
Car Model: Forester 2.5 XT
Transmission: 5-Speed MT
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Default Shake during cornering

Alright, I know that I may need to replace stuff, which is fine......just sold stock so I'm going to invest a little into the Foz. The issue I'm having (and it's getting progressively worse as the weeks wear on) is shaking/rattling during cornering.

Off-road: The front end rattles a bit and sounds like something is in either the suspension or steering...and the rattle can be felt in the steering wheel. When on-road, turning through a corner with rough pavement also give a similar feedback through the steering wheel.

On-road: If I corner somewhat aggressively on-road, I get a very unsatisfactory "feel" in the steering wheel like a grinding or rattling feel. If I corner VERY hard (to the point where the tires squeal), the rattle becomes very audible and the steering wheel shakes a bit more.

Also, I've noticed that when driving straight in the city and going over little bumps here and there, I get an awkward feeling in the steering wheel like it slightly tugs and then lets go and it'll do this consistently and has been getting worse over the past couple of weeks as well.

And to add, while the feedback and rattling has been getting worse, so has a certain "noise" I get when going in reverse. If I place the car in reverse and let off the gas, I get a slight feedback in the steering wheel and an audible moaning/humming noise. This has been getting worse at the same rate.

I know this is a lot of different symptoms, but since they've all increased steadily together, I'm thinking it's all related to a single problem. The only thing I can think it could be would be either....

Motor Mounts, steering rack bushings (or both) and possibly the struts as they now creak when I go over bumps. I guess the smart thing to do (since I already have the steering rack bushings) is to do that and go from there. Just seeing if anyone else has had any similar experiences and what their fix was.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2009, 05:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: 2.5 XT
Transmission: 4eat
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Wheelbearing. Jack the car up and see if theres any play in the wheels (might have to unbolt the calipers, as they sometimes keep the rotors from letting the hub move within the knuckles) This is exactly how my car felt when the front wheel bearing was completely shot. Do you get vibrations mostly when turning in one particular direction (possibly worst on long sweeping corners)?

It could also be balljoint, front tophats, steering rack bushings, tierod ends, front/rear bushings on the front control arms etc.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Smooshed FOTY 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey1002 View Post
It could also be balljoint, front tophats, steering rack bushings, tierod ends, front/rear bushings on the front control arms etc.
Thanks. I replaced the tophats on the front right before my engine went back in May, and that didn't help when it was only a slight issue, but now it's becoming more pronounced.

I'll jack the car up later this week and pull the wheels and calipers to check the bearings. As for the rest of the stuff.....I'll just take it to a trusted suspension shop to take a look at and have them tell me what's wrong with it.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Smooshed FOTY 2011

PROBLEM FOUND

Actually, it was long ago, but I decided to update this thread. The whole issue was the tie-rod ends. You had to really get under there and shake them hard, but it was indeed them. No more front end vibration during cornering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty