Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Screeching/whining noise above 2800 rpm...

11K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Gotduhka 
#1 ·
Hi,
I purchased an 03 Forester about 6 weeks ago, was workshop tested etc, everything seemed fine. Did notice a slight high-pitched whining noise at higher revs during the test drive, but didn't think much of it at the time as sounded quite natural with the engine. That said, I didn't really push the car during the test drive.
Driving around since, I've noticed a high-pitched whining noise coming from the engine whenever I accelerate hard above 2800 revs (usually in second/third gears). The noise changes slightly in pitch as the revs increase, and the car doesn't seem to be pulling forward as strongly as it should. I am sure that it is a problem with something in the engine bay rather than with the wheels etc...
Any ideas/experiences with a similar problem in a Forester are more than welcome :) People have suggested problems with belts, fans or the cam shaft...however not in reference to a Forester.
Cheers,
Pete

#2 ·
First check the accessory belts' tension and condition. If that's not the problem (which it most likely is), then AC clutch or power steering pump might be to blame. Further down in likelihood is waterpump or some other T-belt idler.

Btw, just rev the engine hard while parked, looking into the engine bay (yes you can) to see what's making the sound.

#3 ·
yes, open hood while a friend revs the engine. Should be able to see/hear the general area of where the noise is coming from. If you aren't familiar with the layout of the engine compartment post a picture here of where you think the noise is coming from and a member can help.

PS pump
belt

are my bets

#4 ·
Could be the common exhaust whistle too. It depends on how much power you feel that it looses during those higher revs. I had the same thing happen with me. It is hard not to think that it is affecting the performance of the car especially when converting from an inline or other non-boxer engine. See, forester's boxer engine has a better torque performance on the lower rpm range than other engine designs popular in most cars. This provides a different feel to the driver. The whistle noise is probably a muffler issue that is benign mechanically, only audibly aggravating. It makes the sound when there is more airflow, thus pounding the gas on an up-hill will give it much more whistle than pounding the gas in neutral. Just have someone pound it in the driveway and listen at the pipe

#5 ·
Hey guys, cheers for the responses.
I checked the engine bay both at idle and whilst revving it pretty hard, no noise. All the belts seem fine. Could be something to do with the exhaust, as it does seem to be louder when driving hard up hills etc as Gotduhka said.
What is the exhaust whistle that you mentioned? Had a look through the forums, but can only find stuff related to turbos. Also, whereabouts on the pipe does the whistle come from? I spent a few hours last week repairing the heatshield on the midpipe (learnt the hard way not to let a mate drive off road) but didn't notice any damage to the pipe itself...
I noticed that Gotduhka started another thread where you talked about buying a new muffler to get rid of the noise. Where did it sound like the noise was coming from when you were driving?
Thanks everyone for your help.
Pete

#6 ·
For me and most people with this issue it is a sound produced within the muffler, some say its the tip but I disagree. It must have to do with the muffler design, something comes loose over time such as an internal baffle or something corrodes over time where water condensation settles, not sure but it is harmless if you can get over the noise. Can you hear it with the windows up? winter is coming...

new muffler...
OEM $350+
Stromung $400+

or you can get a cheepo at a muffler shop and have it fitted

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.