Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Sackett's g-whiz posts - a.k.a. things I see in the workshop

(All Years) 
81K views 126 replies 27 participants last post by  Kevin 
#1 ·
Trying to restore my street cred so starting a new thread with things I see in the shop.
Today's picture is the geared idler pulley in the timing belt. It is THE MOST FAILED PART in the timing belt system. I do not stress over subaru water pumps.
The one on the right was the lucky one. It failed and the valves hit the sweet spot and had no valve damage.
The left one was a trade in car that I bought. 2004 with 190k. Every valve bent.

Attachments

See less See more
#59 ·
Story time...
A wrx was towed to the shop, customer wanted new locks and keys. He was quoted, parts order and installed.
The car now turned over but wouldn't start.
A new job. Listening to it we concluded the timing sounded off, but the customer insisted it was just done and ok. He settled for a compression test. Cylinders one and three low. The then agreed to pay for us to check the timing.
This car had an oversized radiator and this made it difficult, but confirmed timing was off.
Corrected timing and car started up...
But....
Oil pressure light was on.
He agreed for us to check this out. Switch ok, direct gauge hooked up, no pressure. Removed oil pan, on some cars we seen a broken pick up tube. Not so on this car.
13 hours labor later car towed out.

Its important that all info be passed to the shop, I'm not sure what the story was when the car had the timing done but this was an expensive lesson for a customer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#61 ·
Being a auto tech is about having the right tools to do a job quickly. My IR air gun was acting up, the primary heavy job gun. Sent it in for a rebuild and meanwhile bought a new air gun today.
A 1/2 drive the size of a 3/8 gun and about 1/3 the weight.
It's not cheap trying to keep decent tools, this drawer represents an easy 2500. God forbid a crack head break in.

#64 ·
Turbo came in with a random misfire so I knew it was fuel/air related. Short term fuel trim was high, 25%. Cleaned the maf sensor but still rough. Took out the air fuel ratio sensor and saw this.
So obviously the car is getting too much fuel to cause this, found a vacuum line off by the throttle plate.
As the car saw got the extra un metered air, it tried to compensate by adding fuel until a code and this happened.

#65 ·
Due to a loss in the family, had to take a break.
This car came in with a performance issue, had a misfire. It went to a spiffy lube at under 30k and they put new plugs in it. A month later they finally bring it to us...

#70 ·
Some may have different views but overall Subaru is extremely generous in the warranty area. However, you must show loyalty to Subaru too.
Case one, a semi loyal Subaru owner runs her car out of oil. They review her records and concluded the car shouldn't have run out of oil in that milage. We built her a new motor.
Case 2. Car has a valve issue at 87k. Misfire number 4. Records show a short block replacement in the 30ks, and this visit. So far Subaru is offering a small amount towards the repair cost.

The point is, if you are loyal to the shop, Subaru is more willing to help.

#73 · (Edited)
All fascinating stuff, thanks. And when you can get the Subaru blue 15A oil filters with crush washers by the 12 pack case for equal to $5.35 each, few aftermarket filters compare and those are a lot more money.
Also appreciate the tip about Subaru corporate more likely to show future support to the car owner if Subaru gets to see and work on/check out the car once in a while. Just common sense.

#74 ·
In the last month, 3 cars in the shop with less than a quart of oil when arriving.
Ironically, they come in for a check engine light, that ends up being related to low/dirty oil.
One car, had 14,000 miles since last oil change, and the last car had at best guess, 1/2 a qt in the pan, however he was below on milage.
Just goes to remind you to check the oil between fill ups

#79 ·
At the College where I graduated from their Automotive Technician Program in the early 1980s, they had on display a large front vented brake disc I believe from a American car. I do not recall exactly if it was the inboard or outboard surface of the disc that was completely worn away down to the central air vanes. We where told the piston(s) on that worn side where worn away too. The car the disc was from had been brought into the program for students to repair, with the customer complaint that the brakes were noisy.

#81 ·
@Sackett Those photos of the destroyed calipers are absolutely horrifying. Is it right that if your brake linings wear down to the rotor that the Subaru will give audible warning/scraping, or can this be silent and take you by surprise? If I ever hear any warning, after those photos I am out sick at work and headed for the shop, Direct.

#84 ·
Ok. Sorry I've been gone, I ran out of memory on my phone. New phone now hopefully posting again.

My new forester, a 2012 with 160k. It came into the shop with oil leaking and noises. The customer traded it in, and I bought it.
The first photo shows what the engine looked like at the start, the second is the end result. Over 4 grand to replace the engine.
The 3rd is the car.
Some dings, dents, and dirty upholstery, but running ok.
Has coastal rust, removed and sandblasted the left rear spindle.. good thing I have a torch at home.
Will slowly remove suspension parts and remove rust.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.