User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
New User

Car Year: 05
Car Model: LL Bean Edition
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rough ride

Hi. I have an 05 LL Bean edition I was hoping to get some advice on. For about a year now the ride has been really rough on roads even though it still seems to do pretty well off road. I'm feeling every little bump and crevice in the road and I'm sick of it. I've taken her on lot's of washboard gravel roads over the last couple of years, so I'm sure that's to blame. Anyways, I'm looking for advice and info on what needs to be replaced, and recommendations on what brands to use. Do I need to replace the entire shock, and if so should I go with the OEM or is there an aftermarket that would hold up a bit better to my off-road shenanigans? Any advice would be appreciated, but please keep in mind that I'm not a super mechanic, so please dumb down the info to layman level. Thanks.

PS. My Forester has bout 95000 miles, and I'm pretty sure the shocks are original.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:33 AM
Forum Member

Location: THe unmentionable part of a female whale,California
Car Year: 2017
Car Model: FOrester 2.5i
Transmission: cvt
Also look at your swaybar bushings and end links( assuming you have them)...

'17 Forester2.5i, CVT...>4500 miles
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:40 AM
スーパー モデレーター

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester Sports XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
I see this is your first forum post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon!

Let's start with the easy stuff. Are your tires in good shape.. don't need to be replaced & what tire pressure are you running?

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

'07 FSXT - COBB Surgeline dyno stock Protune - Stage 1+
'03 X +AVO turbo kit = XT (son's)
'95 Neon Sport

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 01:17 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 14
Car Model: outback
Transmission: auto
Quote:
Look at your swaybar bushings and end links
I have the same thoughts about my 02. What is one supposed to look for? Cracks?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:11 PM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec03 View Post
I have the same thoughts about my 02. What is one supposed to look for? Cracks?
DEformation , wear, freeplay.

IMO,for small dollar and high mile parts, the time involved to inspect, offsets ( for me) any possible "extra" cost I would incur by replacing same too early.

Never do just one side.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbille View Post
Also look at your swaybar bushings and end links( assuming you have them)...
I will check on that when I have time this weekend and get back to you. I did some reading based on this suggestion and it seems like the bushings could be a likely culprit considering the car does make a similar noise to what I see on the Utube videos when going over bumps. Fingers crossed it will be something that cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.5x_sleeper View Post
I see this is your first forum post, so welcome to the forum from Oregon!

Let's start with the easy stuff. Are your tires in good shape.. don't need to be replaced & what tire pressure are you running?

Bobby...
Thanks, for the welcome. Yes, my tires are in good shape, and I keep them between 30-35 psi. Good suggestion.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 10:24 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: XT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdad View Post
I will check on that when I have time this weekend and get back to you. I did some reading based on this suggestion and it seems like the bushings could be a likely culprit considering the car does make a similar noise to what I see on the Utube videos when going over bumps.
What's the noise?

Siggy
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 04:00 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
I will check .... the bushings could be a likely culprit .
I don't know didly about the composition of the OEM bushings( rubber, I assume), but I would investigate the feasibility of using generic POLYurethane bushings( Energy Suspension, POly Performance,etc.) that are most likely stocked in a variety of sizes at your local 4x4 shop.

If the I.D. of the aftermarket bushing is same as O.D. of the SB, and if the matching strap/clamp for the after market replacement can be used in place of the stocker, then I'd say you're golden.

Compare the dealer prices for same parts( and composition) to the poly's before purchase.

I don't know that this is a better option, but I do prefer poly bushes over rubber( and dealer prices can be jacked up), and I believe polyurethane bushes are more durable than rubber- even if they are a little harsher.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalpha View Post
What's the noise?
If I'm going over sharp bumps, it's very loud, almost as if the car is bottoming out but without the jarring sensation. It's especially obnoxious over the little seems you find on poorly kept up highways. It's enough to drive me crazy over a distance. Over some less sharp bumps, immediately after I get a quick knocking sound from the front of the car. I used to think that maybe the knocking sound was a loose skid plate, but now I wonder if it's the sway bar link shifting. Don't know if that helps or not. It's kind of hard to describe sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbille View Post
I don't know didly about the composition of the OEM bushings( rubber, I assume), but I would investigate the feasibility of using generic POLYurethane bushings( Energy Suspension, POly Performance,etc.) that are most likely stocked in a variety of sizes at your local 4x4 shop.

If the I.D. of the aftermarket bushing is same as O.D. of the SB, and if the matching strap/clamp for the after market replacement can be used in place of the stocker, then I'd say you're golden.

Compare the dealer prices for same parts( and composition) to the poly's before purchase.

I don't know that this is a better option, but I do prefer poly bushes over rubber( and dealer prices can be jacked up), and I believe polyurethane bushes are more durable than rubber- even if they are a little harsher.
I'll definitely look into it if the problem ends up being the bushings. Thanks for the advice.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:44 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: 4spd
didn't read...

Last edited by rocketjones; 04-21-2017 at 06:47 AM. Reason: didn't read.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:03 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Forester I-Premium
Transmission: 6MT
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
3 things come to mind.

struts
suspension bushings
Tires.

Also poly bushings will ride more rough than rubber.

If your struts arent working correctly, and you have UHP tires that alone will give you a ride that will knock your fillings out.. Decrepit worn out bushings can be pretty bad too.

edit: I'd start with a good inspection of the bushings.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand View Post
3 things come to mind.

struts
suspension bushings
Tires.

Also poly bushings will ride more rough than rubber.

If your struts arent working correctly, and you have UHP tires that alone will give you a ride that will knock your fillings out.. Decrepit worn out bushings can be pretty bad too.

edit: I'd start with a good inspection of the bushings.
Thanks for the advice. I've set aside some time tomorrow to crawl under there and give everything a good look over. I'll report back when I know more, and hopefully get some further advice.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:17 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: XT
Quote:
If I'm going over sharp bumps, it's very loud, almost as if the car is bottoming out but without the jarring sensation. It's especially obnoxious over the little seems you find on poorly kept up highways. It's enough to drive me crazy over a distance. Over some less sharp bumps, immediately after I get a quick knocking sound from the front of the car. I used to think that maybe the knocking sound was a loose skid plate, but now I wonder if it's the sway bar link shifting. Don't know if that helps or not. It's kind of hard to describe sounds.

I'll definitely look into it if the problem ends up being the bushings. Thanks for the advice.
I also have this kind of sound and my swaybar bushings are pretty terrible. I saw them when I did my brakes last weekend. I have plans on lifting my Foz so I'm looking into the adjustable links from Anderson Fab.

Siggy
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:25 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: VW Golf SportWagen
Transmission: 5MT
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Could be worn struts.

Be aware that your rear setup is probably a self-leveling strut/spring combo. If you want to swap to generic non-SLS rear struts, you will need the regular non-SLS rear springs as well.

Stan

Shocks > struts.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:03 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: LL Bean (4EAT)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Hi. I have an 05 LL Bean edition... For about a year now the ride has been really rough on roads even though it still seems to do pretty well off road. I'm feeling every little bump and crevice in the road and I'm sick of it. I've taken her on lot's of washboard gravel roads over the last couple of years, so I'm sure that's to blame... Do I need to replace the entire shock, and if so should I go with the OEM or is there an aftermarket that would hold up a bit better to my off-road shenanigans?... My Forester has bout 95000 miles, and I'm pretty sure the shocks are original.
With that many miles including washboard roads, the struts are likely worn and in need of replacement.

Our Foresters use struts all around, more expensive and difficult to install than shocks.

You could use original Subaru, which are likely made by Tokico, or KYB, or Monroe SensaTrac.

My LL Bean was bought new and has 50,000 gently-driven miles on good roads. My wife hates the car. As you say, she is "feeling every little bump and crevice in the road". She prefers her Buick.

2008 LL Bean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode