Road Noise Fixes - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2006, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
mwwct06fxp

Gallery:
Default Road Noise Fixes

Love my new Forester!
Have noticed it has a bit of road noise at highway speeds.

I know about changing out the stock tires and may do that.
Saw something about noise reduction padding for the doors and rear cargo area. Not sure on the details.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2006, 03:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: '09
Car Model: STI
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Dynamat. I don't have it but that's one of the more popular ones.
The Black Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester 2.5X
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Road noise

Love my Subie, but my biggest disappointment with my new Forester is the road noise (other than the dealer damaging the car before I picked it up the day I bought it). It is louder than all of our other vehicles and is not drowned out by the stereo. Of course, I-5 in the Seattle area is in pretty bad shape. It is amazing how one lane can be quieter than the other.

I am considering getting the car undercoated. I also wonder how bad those geolanders really are for the road noise.

I installed Yakima bars for my kayak saddles and talk about a howling noise! I just added the fairing which really cut down on the wind noise.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: camry se
Transmission: 6AT
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Default Re: Road noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris
Of course, I-5 in the Seattle area is in pretty bad shape. It is amazing how one lane can be quieter than the other.
Because all the money for road construction is going to the eastside

I believe the high road noise level in the Forester are due to:

1. Lack of sound deadening materials inside car
2. Low weight
3. Vehicle's narrow track

I don't think it is your stock geolander tires. I think the geos were a lot quieter in comparison to the Yokohama YK420 and Falken Ziex 512 I have used on my car.

Undercoating sounds like a good idea but I have never tried it. I plan to use either dynamat, b-quiet, or brown bread materials to deaden the road noise a bit. I have planned the project out but never really got around to starting it :oops:

One member I know (xtactic) :?: has covered his cargo and rear passenger area with brown bread and was very pleased with the reduction in road noise inside the car.

http://www.b-quiet.com/
tre36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 06:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester 2.5X 5MT
Default what Subaru's warranty

If an owner added spray-on underbody sound barrier or rustproofing, will this void any portion of the Subaru warranty?
higgledy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 07:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Plantgoddess

Gallery:

Hey tre36 have you been reading the editorials in the Spokane Spokesman? That has been the refrain over here forever. All the gas tax money goes to the west side. Now we must know where it's really going- to the center of the state.
Whenever I start to get irritated about all the traffic in Spokane area all I have to do is make a trip to the west side of the state and then I can come home and appreciate the almost empty roads in comparison.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:44 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Seventh Sister
Administrator

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester XT Premium
Transmission: 4EAT
Gallery: 70
Feedback Score: 49 reviews
Default Re: what Subaru's warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by higgledy
If an owner added spray-on underbody sound barrier or rustproofing, will this void any portion of the Subaru warranty?
I've heard that it might actually void your rust warranty. :?
pleiad7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 10:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Car Year: 2012
Car Model: camry se
Transmission: 6AT
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantgoddess
Hey tre36 have you been reading the editorials in the Spokane Spokesman? That has been the refrain over here forever. All the gas tax money goes to the west side. Now we must know where it's really going- to the center of the state.
Whenever I start to get irritated about all the traffic in Spokane area all I have to do is make a trip to the west side of the state and then I can come home and appreciate the almost empty roads in comparison.
LOL. With all the boulders falling on I-90, I bet. I live ten minutes by car ride from Downtown Seattle but it can take me 45 to 1 hour just to commute the same route some mornings. It comes with the territory.
tre36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 01:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Car Year: 06
Car Model: Forester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwwct06fxp View Post
Love my new Forester!
Have noticed it has a bit of road noise at highway speeds.

I know about changing out the stock tires and may do that.
Saw something about noise reduction padding for the doors and rear cargo area. Not sure on the details.

Any ideas?
I did a sound damping project on my 2006 Forester a few weeks after I bought it. Now, it is easy to hear a whisper at 80 mph and the sound system is 200% better.

Basically, the areas I treated were the doors, under the back seat, the cargo floor area, and the hood. It takes time to apply the material, but not very much technical skill.

You need to use two materials to achieve good results. The first material is called B-quiet ultimate. There are other brands out there so research them for the best deal.

And the second material is called ensolite mlc foam. I used the 1/8" and the 1/4" stuff. You need some 3M auto spray adhesive to stick the foam in place. On the doors it is best to apply the foam to the inside of the door panels.

Anyway, the b-quiet stuff once applied sticks like crazy. No way is it going to fall off. You can double up on too if you want. Inside the doors I only covered about 40% of the sheet metal.

I bought two thicknesses of the ensolite MLC foam, 1/8" and 1/4". I used the 1/8" foam on the doors and 1/4" every where else. Of course, no foam under the hood. Just put the hoodliner back in place.

Doors: apply the b-quiet to the inside of the exterior sheet metal, cover about 50% or whatever you can reach. Use utility scissors to cut the stuff and wd-40 to clean the scissors. Apply the 1/8" foam to the inside of the door panels using the 3M auto spray adhesive. Spray the adhesive on the foam. You want to cover as much of the panel as you can, but 80%+ is fine. Of course, don't cover the speaker holes. Work slowly at first to get the hang of it, but like I said you get to be a pro before too long.

Hood: take the hood liner off and apply some of the b-quiet to the smooth sheet metal between the ribs. You will need to get some replacement hoodliner retainers because the subaru ones can't easily be re-used. Dorman 799-145 headliner retainers work fine. Buy them at O'reillys, etc.

Under the back seat: Unbolt the back seat and remove, apply a lot of the b-quiet, in some places 2 layers because this is where the rear differential noises enter the cabin and then glue the 1/4 foam in large pieces to the b-quiet.

Cargo floor and spare tire well: repeat above. This area will take the most time. You will see that the quarter panels and wheel wells have a thick foam sound proofing material on them.

I didn't do any place else because I didn't want to mess with the front seats. And I didn't put any around the engine compartment because I didn't want to spoil the looks. In fact, there is really no way one can tell that I did the sound damping project. The areas I did are the top road noise areas and you will be impressed with the difference.

At the same time that I did the sound damping project, I also changed out th very noisy, low rated stock tires with Goodyear ComforTreads which are top-rated for quietness, road handling/comfort and wet/dry traction.

I've also replaced the stock windshield wipers with the new slim profile wipers that don't produce much, if any wind noise, and give a superior performance. I could tell the difference the first time I drove the Forester over 50 mph: no more wind noise from the wipers.

Probably the interior of my Forester is now just as quiet as a Lexus!!
Jimmy Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty