('03-'05) Random no-start condition - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 06:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Legacy GT LTD
Transmission: 6 spd
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Default Random no-start condition

First off this was random as in it never happened before to this degree, and hasn't happened since. Still the code that popped into the ecu was a concern.

So I drive to the gym yesterday, car running fine as usual, park it go workout for about an hour. Go out to my car, get in turn the key and it just turns over. No backfiring, no odd noises while cranking. I try this for about 15 seconds, for whatever reason all three of our subies have had a ecm fart while attempting to start, no biggy. So try number 2 goes nowhere as well, so now I turn the key on slowly and listen for the fuel pump, it hums away when turned on so try to crank again and after a few seconds starts up with a CEL. I let it run for a short while put it in gear and drive to the grocery store on the way home. Shut it off, get my scanner and read the code (can't recall exact code, P0336 or 341 or 340) I know, I know should have left well enough alone but I cleared it. Crank the car and it runs normally. Drive home after getting some stuff, park it crank it again, watch my scanner's ignition timing, temp, engine load, MAP/MAF ranges nothing looks out of the ordinary AFAIK.

This morning there was a slight stumble but car started, no CEL and seemed to drive normally except it is now smoother when taking off. Allow me to explain, since I changed the headgaskets and installed reground cams it has been a little jumpy off the line, I just learned to live with it and now it is smooth. So naturally I am a bit worried because it has been the other way so long, as far as I can tell it runs fine. No overheating, no abnormal sensor readings, no problems starting since this morning, which was more like a hiccup.

Any insight would be appreciated, the code reading was cam sensor malfunction something or other. I am thinking a sensor starting to go bad or possible a bad connection, I did reseat the connector after clearing the code.
FLfrstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2011, 08:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Taking a Walkabout in the Outback

Car Year: ...
Car Model: ...
Transmission: ...
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

You have an intermittent fault in your fuel pump?

It may hum but it may not pump every-time.

Get your fuel pump pressure tested.
Georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Member

I will check into it, but that wouldn't cause the CEL to come on or the code that was stored. Would it?
Old 10-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: Forester
Transmission: 4EAT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

No. Your motor has been in/out a few times so I wouldn't be too surprised if you had a bad connection at the sensor plug. Unplug it again and make sure the pins are seated in the plug all the way. IDK if you follow Goofy's build, but after LOTS of farting around with his car, he found a bad plug to one of his injectors. Ironically, it is actually the same type of plug that is on the cam sensor. Cam sensors are pretty easy to test but it helps if you can make up a test plug to do it. I have one if you need it.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

Well everything has been good for past two days, and I am noticing the jumpiness coming back to "normal". I am going to chalk that up to the ecu reset, but no more problems starting since reseating the cam sensor connector. This weekend I am going to check it again and put some dielectric grease on there for good measure.

Probably wont hurt to change my fuel filter either, since it hasn't been changed to my knowledge. Thanks for the offer Jgrote, I will let you know if I do. I will probably take a trip to the junkyard soon to find a sensor or two for backup just in case.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2004
Transmission: 4EAT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Let me know when/where you go. I can't find any junkyards with subbies in it to save my life.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Orlando u-pull and pay always has a couple, and LKQ in Tampa/Brandon usually has one or two. Orlando upull and pay has their inventory of cars on the website, so you can always check what they got in there before going so you don't waste your time. Those are the two I mostly frequent, some prices are good some not so good.

I may not be able to make it to one until the maybe the Oct 29th or the 5th of next month, I will pm you when I decide to make a trip.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Forum Member

Well update time, no-start reared its head again. Got the code this time, p0335 crankshaft sensor malfunction, pulled it out checked it look alright, so I went ahead and replaced it. So now we shall see.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Member

Guess a solution to this issue may be helpful, just remembered this thread trying to help someone with a similar problem.

I changed the sensor and to date have had no more issues. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 11-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
New User

Car Year: 2006
Transmission: automatic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up 2006 Forester intermittent starting -P0335

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLfrstr View Post
Guess a solution to this issue may be helpful, just remembered this thread trying to help someone with a similar problem.

I changed the sensor and to date have had no more issues. Thanks for the help guys!
Same here. I had the occasional symptom of not starting with my 2006 2.5 and eventually got a P0335. The crankshaft position sensor tested OK (2K Ohms) and I read near 50K toward the ECM - but decided to replace it with a new sensor (BWD CSS-564) in July 2011. Has started perfect ever since
smoketronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty