Plugs and wires cost - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester X
Plugs and wires cost

Can anyone tell me roughly what it might cost to replace the spark plugs and wires on a 2006 Forester (base model, non-turbo)? I'm sure this varies by region, but perhaps there is a reasonable average. A local shop quoted me at $250 but that seems a little high. I know it's a pain to do on that engine, so maybe they are accounting for extra labor.

2006 Subaru X 4EAT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 9
Car Model: forester/06wrx wagon
Transmission: 5spd
just did mine today in an hr 40$ for parts thats using iridium plugs and bosch wires
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

I should add that I'm looking to have an independent shop do it. I've read about what a pain it is and I really don't feel like dealing with it myself.

2006 Subaru X 4EAT
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Impreza Ltd
Transmission: CVT
2006 NA is not difficult at all ...... ADC has a nice writeup .... and he's one of our oldest members here:
N/A Spark Plug Replacement [Anal]

98S, 2014 Impreza 5 dr Ltd (9 Subaru's since 1978, 7 were 5 sp) ILuvSubaru's
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 10:29 AM
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: 2.5X
Seems a bit high. If you go with the Subaru plugs and wires you are probably at $150 in parts. Just go buy the NGK (which Subaru repackages) plugs and the NGK wires. You can certainly do it yourself. Its not as hard as the write up appears. I just wanted to point out every little thing.

Be careful what you wish for.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2011
Transmission: 5-Gear Manual
If you can find OEM packard wire get thoses; many times re-packaged service parts are not very good at all. ESP from Subaru, IME. Otherwise just get upgraded quality auto parts wire - but not magwire or any "metal" conductor wire.
-How do you know you need them?
-You should do plugs and remove and clean the coils too.

'12 Honda FIT Sport 5M; '11 Forester X 5M;
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2006 & 2010 Forester
Transmission: automatic
Well $250...

Can be accurate.

What is he using? OEM Subaru(from the dealer) or the cheapest stuff from Autozone?

Is he including cleaning up the coils?

Is he going to do an oil change while at it? (most shops do include an oil change...if you ask)

Does the tune-up include an air filter? (I don't know of any shop that isn't at least going to look at it during...and suggest that "no matter what" they put a new one in)

Does the tune-up include cleaning up/replacing the PCV?

There are other things he "could be" doing as well...
Cleaning up the IAC...
Cleaning up the TPS...
Cleaning up the MAF/P(whichever it has)

You also have the right to negotiate. Even if this were Midas, you can negotiate. What parts do YOU want used? They will adjust the estimate accordingly. Do you want "other" stuff done while at it, like cleaning up the O2 sensor...

He could also be "over pricing" to make sure your car in the shop, which is keeping two very simple and HIGH dollar brake jobs out of his shop, makes him commiserate money. And yes, I know NUMEROUS shops and mechanics who over-price some jobs just because of what it KEEPS OUT of their shop while doing yours.

Last edited by schan1269; 05-03-2012 at 12:02 PM.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

The price was just for new OEM/NGK plugs and wires. They didn't mention, and I didn't ask about cleaning the coils. I just did an oil change and recently replaced the front O2 sensor, and the air filter is fine so no need for those jobs. Not sure about cleaning up the IACV, TPS, or MAF, though I suppose I could figure out how to do those myself. I'm usually reluctant to bring my car in for service unless it looks like a big job.

I've read adc's writeup, as well as a few others that suggest jacking up the motor a bit, or removing various components to give yourself enough space to work. I have to be honest, it looks intimidating and open to the possibility that I totally screw it up.

I'll take closer look to see if it's worth my time, but if I do, any guidance for cleaning the ignition coils? I'm pretty clueless in that area.

2006 Subaru X 4EAT
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 04:43 PM
adc
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: 2.5X
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKardon View Post
I've read adc's writeup, as well as a few others that suggest jacking up the motor a bit, or removing various components to give yourself enough space to work. I have to be honest, it looks intimidating and open to the possibility that I totally screw it up. .
You don't have to jack the motor on the 'X', only the XT.

You only need to remove the filter housing on the 'X' and that's a piece of cake. You have to jack the engine on the 'XT'. Like I said..it only sounds hard bc I wanted it written in detail the the way I did it.

Be careful what you wish for.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: XS Premium
Transmission: MT
That price is way out of line, and as stated above the job just isn't that hard on the non-turbo models. Ratchet, 6" extension, and a spark plug socket is all it takes. Plus a torque wrench for putting the new plugs in correctly. These are basic tools that everybody needs to have anyway.

My technique for getting the best price for plugs on eBay is to determine the manufacturer's part number for the plug you need and then do an Advanced Search on that number with 'Search including Title and Description' checked off. Many sellers will list only one type car in the title but include the part number in the description, where a normal search wouldn't find it. So just searching for Forester or even Subaru will produce a much shorter list than actually available, and possibly include some plugs that don't meet your spec.

2003 XS Premium MT >200k miles! ● 2005 Impreza 2.5 RS MT ● Robin-Subaru Powered Generator
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 05:07 PM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: FXT Limited
Transmission: 5MT
It's really easy on the 'X' model (Naturally aspirated, no turbo) I did it in 25 minutes on my old car.

Slowbaru Tuned VF43'd 2007 FXT Limited MT
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

Car Year: 2015
Car Model: Highlander AWD XLE
Transmission: 6AT
Lightbulb

Subaru specs the NGK FR5AP-11 Laser Platinum plug (NGK p/n 5063) for the 2006 Forester X; see page 11-17 in the owner's manual. For reference, these plugs are $5.99 each w/ coupon code "MT5" at Advance Auto.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

12 Forester 2.5X 5MT Premium (sold 11/2014)
09 Forester 2.5X 5MT Premium (sold 7/2011)
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: 2006 & 2010 Forester
Transmission: automatic
That price...

Is out of line for just plugs and wires(which is why I asked what else was included).

Speaking from personal knowledge of "over pricing"...

I changed the power steering hose on one of our trucks 3 weeks ago. One of the co-op farmers had the same thing burst on his truck. He wanted me to do in on a Saturday(he was going to be out of town on a Thurs and Fri and wouldn't let me have the truck for those two days...)

Anyway, I told him I was going to charge him $60+part and quart of PSF. The job only takes 30 minutes, but I was getting the hose and parts.

It is a tedious 30 minutes. So this guy made me miss the beginning of a picnic...so I charged him accordingly. If he had let me have the truck the two days he was gone, so I could have done it at my convenience...I would have charged him $20.

So, unless this mechanic is "mis-informed" about the difficulty of this job...could be he just wants to overcharge for it for missing something else "bigger"...???

Last edited by schan1269; 05-03-2012 at 06:22 PM.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester X Prem
Transmission: 4EAT
If you don't mind shopping online, you can buy spark plugs and wires on RockAuto Auto Parts. When I did the tune up on my 2006 Subaru Forester I went with NGK IX Iridium spark plugs (part#BKR5EIX-11) and NGK ignition wires (part#RC-FX101). No problems and have been running them for 16,000 miles. The reason I went with iridiums is cause they last longer and provide better ignition.. :D

06 Forester X Prem 4EAT
05 Impreza RS Sport 5MT

Last edited by Performance Suby; 05-03-2012 at 07:53 PM. Reason: grammar
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 07:50 PM
has awakened!

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester Sports XT
Transmission: 4EAT
While my son's '03 X was in for other service we had our Subaru dealership shop installed the spark plugs that we provided. The wires were new, so they didn't need to be replaced. The charge was around $100.

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

'07 FSXT - COBB Surgeline dyno Protune - Stage 1+
'03 X +AVO turbo kit = XT (son's)
'95 Neon Sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.