Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

2014 - Passenger airbag warning when phone in seat? (merged thread)

('14-'18) 
41K views 104 replies 51 participants last post by  2.5x_sleeper 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 forester and if i have my cellphone plugged into a car charger and place it on my passenger seat the warning to the left of the display blinks a chime comes on. Has anyone else had this problem?

#2 ·
If I push on the seating surface lightly with my hand with just a few lbs of pressure mine comes on too. It thinks someone is sitting there and wants them to buckle up... lol

When I remove my hand it dings a handful more times and then shuts off resuming the Passenger airbag off display on the MFD.

Nick

#7 ·
Cell phones are constantly radiating a signal to keep a link with the nearest cell tower. RF interference to the sensor in the seat is a possibility. Turn the phone off and then lay it in the seat. I'm betting the problem goes away.

#20 ·
Ok, sorry to erase the problems, but you are all way off base.The new passenger detection system uses a sensor system the senses electrical fields of the occupant or electronic device. Its not weight at all; just rest your hand on it without applying weight and it will "see" it. Page 1-46 of the owners manual.
"The occupant detection system sensor is
installed under the seat upholstery and
monitors the physique and posture of the
front passenger. Using this information,
the occupant detection system determines
whether the front passenger’s SRS frontal
airbag should be deployed or not.
The occupant detection system may not
inflate the front passenger’s SRS frontal
airbag even when the driver’s SRS frontal
airbag deploys. This is normal"
and page 1-47
"If the front passenger’s seat cushion is
wet, this may adversely affect the ability of
the system to determine deployment."
I am having issues with cut and paste- so pull out the owners manual and read upon it yourselves.

If you get the passenger seat wet, it will cause a light until it dries. Have seen 2 of these so far, both related to cleaning of the seats.

#22 ·
The new passenger detection system uses a sensor system the senses electrical fields of the occupant or electronic device. Its not weight at all...

"The occupant detection system sensor is
installed under the seat upholstery and
monitors the physique and posture of the
front passenger
."
Your own quote from the Owners Manual disproves your own statement.

It clearly measures weight and position of the weight, not electrical fields.

On P 1-48 it mentions that luggage and electronic devices may adversely affect the ability of the system to determine deployment.

There is NO mention of electrical fields to detect passenger presence.

#35 ·
Thanks for info. This is my son's base Forester that does this, also he also say's after a passenger gets out of the car, shuts the door, and when he drives off the seatbelt reminder will chime a few of times and stop. It happen to me the other day when I was driving his car. I stopped at a stop sign and when I continued the seat belt reminder went off about 3 times and stopped. Nothing on the seat as I remember. Sounds like the buckle sensor is bad on the passenger side.

#41 ·
Passenger Air Bag Sensor Question

Sackett,

Good morning. I am a new poster, so please forgive me if I don't do this correctly. I have been reading this forum off and on for a while, but just registered so I could ask a question.

I have a 2014 XT Premium that I want to add seat heaters to. But I now understand that the airbag sensor in the passenger seat bottom precludes putting a heating element there. At least that is what the installer said. How does Subaru get around this with their OEM heaters?

Sorry if this has already been discussed in another forum. I didn't see it right off hand. As I said, I'm new at this.

Thanks.

#47 ·
Sackett,

Good morning. I am a new poster, so please forgive me if I don't do this correctly. I have been reading this forum off and on for a while, but just registered so I could ask a question.

I have a 2014 XT Premium that I want to add seat heaters to. But I now understand that the airbag sensor in the passenger seat bottom precludes putting a heating element there. At least that is what the installer said. How does Subaru get around this with their OEM heaters?

Sorry if this has already been discussed in another forum. I didn't see it right off hand. As I said, I'm new at this.

Thanks.
Sorry I didnt see the question. As of this time we the techs have nothing to do inside the passenger seat. Adding seat heaters is a big unknown, and most certainly would void a warranty. Our Honda shop just started offering aftermarket Seat heaters as an option, and I did mention this to My boss- I will follow up if we got any clarification...

#50 ·
In my 2014 Forester even if nothing is in the passenger seat the warning light goes off and the seat belt warning dings until I fasten the seatbelt. If the seatbelt warning doesn't go off then the SRS warning is triggered unless a passenger is seated prior to starting the engine. Someone has to be sitting in the seat in order for no warnings to be triggered.

I don't think the cellphone triggers the system, it is weight on the seat.

#51 ·
My cellphone drove my airbag status light wonky a couple of times when I had it in the passenger seat.

That being said, if you can leave the phone totally out of the car and replicate the problem, the car should go to the dealership. What you're seeing is not right and indicative of a problem.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.