P0420 - Catalytic Converter Efficiency Below Threshold - Subaru Forester Owners Forum
Subaru Forester Forum
ebay search
Subaru Forester Forum
Go Back   Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty
SubaruForester.org is the premier Subaru Forester Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2007, 10:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Car Year: 2001
Car Model: Forester L
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default P0420 - Catalytic Converter Efficiency Below Threshold

Forester 2001 L - Stock
101k Miles
P0420 - Catalytic Converter Efficiency Below Threshold

The forester has been throwing this code for a few months now, typically shows up on long highway runs (but to be fair, that is the vast majority of my driving). I bought a scanner from scantool.net, which I am quite impressed with for $60 new. This is the only code that's been thrown, so I am assuming it's the cat, I just want to gather what insight I can before going through with the repair.

I have seen some posts saying it could be the rear O2 sensor failing. How likely is this, given it has not thrown its own code? I have called around the area, but nobody here can do an exhaust check to find out for sure. I've also heard that an emissions check might not give any useful information, since the efficiency code is thrown well before the problem gets out of hand.

Assuming it is the cat, is there a good way to determine if it is just the front or rear unit, and replace individually? Also, can anyone offer any insight on the best replacement unit? I saw TexasForester's excellent writeup on the Eastern #40237 and his issues with that unit. Does anyone have any experience with other possibilities?

Any help is appreciated... Thanks!
silenthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2007, 10:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Impreza Ltd
Transmission: CVT
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

My own experiences with this code across many different vehicles ( not only Subarus ):

1. Look for exhaust leaks anywhere from the engine to the rear oxygen sensor. Many times I have found this to be the biggest cause.

2. Failed or failing Catalytic converter. Owners usually don't want to hear this, but unless there is a leak, or slow responding oxygen sensor ( front or rear ), the code is correct when it is set. If you reset this code without fixing anything, it will usually come back in a day...2.....week....next 2 weeks....The converter should be replaced.

3. Cheaper than the converter but usually not the cause, replacing the front, rear or both oxygen sensors. Without a code pointing directly at the sensor, or charting the sensor to prove it has a slow response, this is cheaper than replacing the converter, but in most of my experiences, it just puts off replacing the converter.

I have seen converters last years and 150K + miles. But it seems the ones that were part of the 99 and newer vehicles are of a different substrate and don't seem to last as long. Somewhere in this time, car manufacturers had to lower emissions again and introduced a slightly different converter and oxygen sensors. Both don't appear to be a long lasting as in the past.

More interesting reading at:
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...0/ai_n17196905

My own experiences....and $.02. Take it for what it's worth. You are welcome to input with your own
Old 07-16-2007, 10:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the insight.

My ODBII scanner looks like it should be able to chart the sensor voltage. What should I chart in addition to this to determine if the sensor has a slow response? In addition, what should I be looking for?

Another concern of mine that I should have added in the original post: given the age of the cat and the lack of other thrown codes, should I be concerned about diagnosing the cause of the failed cat, or is it likely that it failed due to age?
Old 07-16-2007, 10:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Supporting Member

Car Year: 2014
Car Model: Impreza Ltd
Transmission: CVT
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

As I said. Some I've seen fail early, some late. If you can chart the sensors, start with the front. It should stay pretty steady as you drive on a highway. If it shows a slow response when you give it gas or let off, then it is 'suspect'. Maybe not the cause of a P0420, but a good suspect non the less. If the front plots slowly and all of a sudden the CK Eng light appears, it's a good suspect. The rear can plot slow if it's defective OR the Cat Con is defective. That's a tougher call as to which is causing it to plot slowly.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Forum Member

I monitored the performance of my 99 Forester for quite a few months before replacing the converter. I checked for exhaust leaks, attempted to "rattle" the converter, etc. My forward O2 sensor performed per guidelines w/ several low/hi voltage changes per second, depending on engine speed. My rear O2 sensor would occasionally show a brief constant voltage, but more oftern changed voltage nearly as frequently as the forward converter. What puzzled me was that I could reset the ECU and it would sometimes go for 3-4 months before the CEL would come on again w/ P0420.

Excellent link from Ferret. Read that for sure.

I would take my time and make sure you have no ignition, fuel, or air leaks before deciding. I would look carefully at Eastern, DEC, and Smith Bros (used cats) and decide what works for you.

I would be interested in your experience.

good luck
Old 07-16-2007, 05:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Regarding the CEL timing: it comes back on within a few days of a reset if driven enough, but most of my driving up here is for groceries or to head to the beach, since I ride my bike to/from campus when it's nice enough. If I'm on a longer drive (to/from downstate), it comes back on within 150 miles.

Texas: regarding your experience with the Eastern cat... have you worked out the resonance problems with your heat shields? If so, please share your fix.

Thank you both for your help... now I have a better idea as to what to look for. Hopefully I will get a chance to take a look this week, if not then this weekend for sure. I will post the results when I do.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 98
Car Model: Forester

A dead rear O2 sensor can definitely trigger a P0420, as that was the case with my Forester last summer.

I went to replace it and found that one of the wires had been burned through somehow.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast View Post
A dead rear O2 sensor can definitely trigger a P0420, as that was the case with my Forester last summer.

I went to replace it and found that one of the wires had been burned through somehow.
This didnt set off its own code?
Old 07-17-2007, 06:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Car Year: 2002

I've be battling this code too (P0420) since the beginning of this year (car currently has about 140k miles). First there were two codes (forgot the other one, it was related to the rear sensor), so I replaced the rear sensor, but P0420 is still there once in a while. I kept on resetting it and it behaves exactly like others have described: it comes back, sometimes weeks, sometimes months. It looks like the cat converter is at fault in my case.

I'll try the $5 fix (mechanical fix) first.

BTW, why do cat converters go bad? I thought the whole point of catalyst is to aid in the chemical process without being consumed by the process. Is it because the precious metal being covered in gunk (reduced efficiency?), or is it truly gone?
z00m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00m View Post
I'll try the $5 fix (mechanical fix) first.
While this will probably stop the P0420 code and CEL, this isn't fixing anything. From what I gather, this only takes the sensor out of the exhaust stream, rendering it useless (can't be used to check for other problems, like if your cat REALLY goes bad). This is OK if you don't have any real emissions problems, otherwise I don't recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00m View Post
BTW, why do cat converters go bad? I thought the whole point of catalyst is to aid in the chemical process without being consumed by the process. Is it because the precious metal being covered in gunk (reduced efficiency?), or is it truly gone?
Cats can go bad from gunk or carbon fouling (reduces surface area), from unburned fuel entering the cat (melts the catalyst and SEVERELY reduces surface area), or the cat can fracture (blockage). I suppose the catalyst could flake off the substrate, reducing the amount of catalyst in the system, but I don't know if this happens.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:59 AM   #11 (permalink)

I found Wikipedia's entry is a good one on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalytic_converter
Old 07-17-2007, 04:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Forum Member

SilentHorn, I found the resonance problem to be associated not w/ the new catalytic converter but w/ the rear exhaust pipe and muffler. Probably due to change of vibration from the lighter replacement converter. A squeaking sound eminates from one of the hangers. It is not bad and only occurs after a cold start.

Why does the Subaru converter fail? I thought about that when I removed my converter and found it to be totally intact (from end inspection only) w/ no signs of overheating or damage. I have to conclude it is carbon fouling. Likely source of carbon is the PCV system recirculating oil vapor back into the the engine. Some cars use oil scavengers to condense and recover the oil vapor.

I wonder if perhaps Smith Bros, who refurbishes converters, hasn't discovered a method of cleaning the carbon. For instance, a solvent to dissolve the carbon deposits might work very well. The Berryman Chem-Dip Carbuerator and Parts Cleaner is a good possibility. This stuff literally dissolves varnish before your eyes. It will also dissolve your hands unless you wear gloves! A gallon is fairly inexpensive, probably $20 or so. Stop up one end of your converter and fill the converter w/ Chem-Dip. Let it sit overnight, flush w/ clean water, and dry. This just might work.

Regards
Old 07-17-2007, 07:35 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasForester View Post
I wonder if perhaps Smith Bros, who refurbishes converters, hasn't discovered a method of cleaning the carbon. For instance, a solvent to dissolve the carbon deposits might work very well. The Berryman Chem-Dip Carbuerator and Parts Cleaner is a good possibility. This stuff literally dissolves varnish before your eyes. It will also dissolve your hands unless you wear gloves! A gallon is fairly inexpensive, probably $20 or so. Stop up one end of your converter and fill the converter w/ Chem-Dip. Let it sit overnight, flush w/ clean water, and dry. This just might work.
Is chem-dip safe on the cat?

A quick google search turned up cataclean... a fuel additive designed to remove carbon fouling, and looks like its sold only in the UK. It doesn't get rave reviews either. Anybody have any experience with this? Sounds like snake oil, but might be worth a shot if the fouling is minimal...
Old 07-17-2007, 08:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Member

Car Year: 98
Car Model: Forester

what about seafoam?
Old 07-18-2007, 03:58 AM   #15 (permalink)

According to the wiki article, the most likely cause is ZDDP, which is used extensively in all previous generations of engine oils. The current oil spec (SM) has that dramatically reduced to prolong the like of cats. Carbon fouling is unlikely since a spririted run should burn it off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty