post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2004
Car Model: 2.5 XT
Gallery: 0
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Unhappy P0301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire

Hi everyone,

Turned on my car the other day and threw a CEL and a flashing cruise. When I pulled the code it read P0301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire. I've tried trouble shooting it by switching out Cylinder 1's spark plugs with Cylinder 3's and also the coil-packs and then clearing the code. However, I am still getting the same P0301 code for cylinder 1. Hoping that my engine isn't toast I'm going to continue to trouble shoot the problem. I'm just trying to find out if there is anything I'm missing.

Tomorrow:
I will be conducting a compression test on the Cylinder.
Also if my shop can do a flow test on my fuel injectors I'll be doing that.

Please let me know if there is anything else I should check, possibly the intake manifold could be leaking in that area? I don't really know and would be most grateful for any input.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 07:46 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: Forester
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Since the code has returned, take a look at the freeze frame data, specifically, the short term/long term fuel trim numbers (Both banks) as well as the rpm & load numbers.

If the STFT and LTFT numbers are OK (for both cylinder banks, but especially bank 1), then the problem is less likely to be ignition related and probably air/fuel or compression. LTFT numbers should be within +/- 10 to 15%.

If outside of this range, then the PCM is correcting for an overly rich/lean condition -- what you're looking for here is an indication if the misfire is being caused by a rich or lean problem which have different troubleshooting approaches. E.g., excessively rich could be a bad fuel pressure regulator, leaky fuel injector, etc. Excessively lean could be an intake leak, etc.

A mechanical condition may exist (e.g., burnt exhaust valve), so in addition to the compression test, do a leak down test on the cylinder. If your shop has an oscilloscope, they can do a relative compression test. Good luck.

Regards,
paul...

10 Forester X Prem AT, 07 Boxster S, 03 MB E320
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

So today I continued my trouble shooting. Only having a short amount of time I was just going to do the fuel injectors. I switched out cylinder 1s injector with cylinder 2s and no change at. I also listened to all cylinders with a oscilloscope and heard nothing out of the ordinary. Then I decided to go to the exhaust and listen to it, I could heard the misfire every few seconds. I put a dollar up to the exhaust and watched it flutter then the oh no face happened. The dollars bill pulled back inside the exhaust and held there for almost a full second. Tomorrow I will be doing the compression test on cylinder 1 and we'll see what happens from there. God I hope I don't have to pull this block apart.

Last edited by dantheman; 05-27-2011 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Stupid iPhone
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulv View Post
Since the code has returned, take a look at the freeze frame data, specifically, the short term/long term fuel trim numbers (Both banks) as well as the rpm & load numbers.

If the STFT and LTFT numbers are OK (for both cylinder banks, but especially bank 1), then the problem is less likely to be ignition related and probably air/fuel or compression. LTFT numbers should be within +/- 10 to 15%.

If outside of this range, then the PCM is correcting for an overly rich/lean condition -- what you're looking for here is an indication if the misfire is being caused by a rich or lean problem which have different troubleshooting approaches. E.g., excessively rich could be a bad fuel pressure regulator, leaky fuel injector, etc. Excessively lean could be an intake leak, etc.

A mechanical condition may exist (e.g., burnt exhaust valve), so in addition to the compression test, do a leak down test on the cylinder. If your shop has an oscilloscope, they can do a relative compression test. Good luck.

Regards,
paul...
Thanks for all the info, I'll post up how everything turns out.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 12:04 PM

Car Year: 2007
Transmission: Hand
engine misfire

Looks like I have the same problem.
Did you find anything wrong and if so what?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 08:42 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1998
i just had the same thing happen but it was cylinder 3... when your looking down at the block from the bumper which one is cylinder 3. thanks guys.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 10:15 AM
has awakened!

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester Sports XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Firing order: 1 - 3 - 2 - 4

--------#3----------------------#4---------

--------#1----------------------#2---------

---passenger side ----------driver's side-----

------------ front of vehicle ----------------

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]

'07 FSXT - COBB Surgeline dyno Protune - Stage 1+
'03 X +AVO turbo kit = XT (son's)
'95 Neon Sport
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 1998
thanks so much. that was actually a perfect way to put it hah.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 08:15 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2006
Car Model: Forester XT Limited
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
My '06 XT started throwing the same code last week. I reset it once and it came back today. It seems to throw the code just after the vehicle is started. I have 115k miles, had the timing belt replaced 10k miles ago. I hope teres nothing seriously wrong. I'm very anxious what you find out.

'06 XT w/ 5MT

Last edited by INSubbie; 07-06-2011 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Had wrong year listed
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 08:55 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: Manual
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Is there any other signs besides the CEL - like jittery idling or hiccups in acceleration under load?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2point5awd View Post
Is there any other signs besides the CEL - like jittery idling or hiccups in acceleration under load?
Wow forgot I had this thread going. With mine (Which is still misfiring) I have a rough idle and a little hiccup under hard acceleration. I'll finding what caused the problem after I pull the engine on 18 July. Anyone else find anything.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 10:58 AM
Forum Member

Transmission: 4EAT
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Is the problem constant or only if certain conditions have been met?
I had a misfire and rough idle that would only occur after starting the car when the engine was warm from driving. Turned out to be the hot start fuel correction factor in my tune.

06 XTL 4EAT 2.5XT-R Yimi Sport Tuned...For Sale
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 11:14 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2008
Car Model: Forester XT
Transmission: Manual
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
My 08 XT had both rough idle and hiccups under load at 40k miles (car is stock). The hiccups under load turned out to be the spark plugs, which were replaced. The rough idle (with CELs) is still being worked on.

I am going to post a thread of what was done once I get it back and its all working (crossing fingers).
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Forum Member

Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Mine hesitates ever so slightly, but nothing worse than normal. It seems to be occurring when it is at idle.

I had an issue after I had my timing belt replaced that the dealer found NON Subaru spark plugs (Std. Champions of all sorts) instead of the platinum tipped that are supposed to be in our turbo's that my previous dealer installed. This caused a Misfire on Cylinder 3, but the correct plugs fixed that. That was about 10K miles ago and now I have problems with Cylinder 1.

'06 XT w/ 5MT
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Forum Member

Car Model: Forester 2.5 XT
Transmission: manuell
I have the same problem my self on my 2.5xt, but I have no CEL. I have a rough idle and a little "hiccup" under hard acceleration. I also logged miss fire, most(max 23) on cylinder one but a few on cylinder two and four(max 6-9)

anyone who has found any solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > Technical Forums and Vehicle Assistance > Problems, Maintenance, and Warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Subaru Forester Owners Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.